NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Jack_Bauer

Re: NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:57 pm

I am a big fan of the final FAAB run late Saturday. Anything that protects owners from the unforeseen situations that can leave an owner stymied. A player gets sick, is in an accident, gets arrested, whatever... Something happens on Friday night or Saturday and an owner is stuck.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:32 am

As it is now, most people can probably take Sat. off fantasy football. For the occasional Sat. scratch or downgrade though, everyone would then need to find time on yet another day - a precious weekend day - to read news again and tweak waiver claims. Obviously, this is easy with one or two teams.

I know I try to take a last cycle through my teams on Fri. night, an hour or two before waivers run. For those who do the same, maybe Fridays are a lot easier night to find 10-30 minutes [more!] for this than a Sat. night?

I can't imagine this would sit well with people who travel a lot or prefer to commit more time to family on Sat., especially if they're inclined to kill the other half of the weekend in front of the tv.

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 am

sandman,

You make a good point. I am sure convenience is what the game operators think of most. I guess what I was thinking is that a fantasy game of this magnitude and prestige should make the rules as fair and logical as possible for the game, and let the consumers figure out a way to fit it into their schedules (as I believe passionate high stakes fantasy players will do) as opposed to trying to mold their game rules around the unique schedules of countless different people (which would seem impossible to me).

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 am

I agree. And personally, I can find time on Saturdays. I'm just trying to understand the rationale for why it was never on Sat. before.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 am

Sandman62 wrote:I agree. And personally, I can find time on Saturdays. I'm just trying to understand the rationale for why it was never on Sat. before.
The Friday FAAB was done for convenience of the players and allowing enough time for owners to then make out their starting lineups. That's hard to do when you don't know which free agents you are getting until Friday night.

Now with a full FAAB on Wednesday and just a second FAAB later in the week, the option of Saturday vs. Friday is much easier to discuss. Very few owners are relying on that Friday FAAB in our current situation to make or break that week's starting lineup. That was done on Wednesday. So it's a worthy discussion to do this on Saturday rather than Friday, but when this was brought up before others have said that it would be an inconvenience to tweak their final FAAB bids and watch the newswire on Saturday morning or Saturday afternoon. I'm not so sure there is a consensus for a Saturday FAAB, but we can ask if that's what folks want.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:06 am

I just think running the final faab Saturday protects owners more (than running friday) from the unforeseen disaster that can leave you with a zero in your lineup. Being stymied like that is about the worst experience that exists in fantasy football that does not belong in the game. I think figuring out a way to limit the chances this can happen is kind of important and fantasy players will find time to adjust. In my local home league for years guys would be looking for the least inconvenience and that was their primary motivation to rule discussions. To me, that league is the minor leagues... The NFFC is the "show" or the major leagues and high level players (I would think) would be more into fairness and limiting how an unfair or uncontrollable break of bad luck can destroy your game, team, season and investment.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 am

Friday is good enough for me. Heck, I'd vote to eliminate the second FAAB all together, although I know I'm in the minority there. I don't think I've bid on Friday free agents twice all season. This may be why I'm trailing in my leagues. :)
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 am

ESPN reported that Aaron Hernandez would be inactive on Saturday night. So even moving FAAB to Saturdays might not have prevented folks from this one. Sometimes these inactives surprise us on Sunday mornings. There is no fail-safe time to protect everyone from unknown injuries or personal problems or whatever.

That being said, it's worth discussing if Friday is better than Saturday for the second FAAB if we stick with the current setup.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:31 am

Jack_Bauer wrote:I just think running the final faab Saturday protects owners more (than running friday) from the unforeseen disaster that can leave you with a zero in your lineup. Being stymied like that is about the worst experience that exists in fantasy football that does not belong in the game. I think figuring out a way to limit the chances this can happen is kind of important and fantasy players will find time to adjust. In my local home league for years guys would be looking for the least inconvenience and that was their primary motivation to rule discussions. To me, that league is the minor leagues... The NFFC is the "show" or the major leagues and high level players (I would think) would be more into fairness and limiting how an unfair or uncontrollable break of bad luck can destroy your game, team, season and investment.
that is to bad that your home league is so weak . not the one i play in we have 4 out of 12 that play nffc . if i include myself we have 5 out of 12 . very hard to win .

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm

got heeem wrote:
Jack_Bauer wrote:I just think running the final faab Saturday protects owners more (than running friday) from the unforeseen disaster that can leave you with a zero in your lineup. Being stymied like that is about the worst experience that exists in fantasy football that does not belong in the game. I think figuring out a way to limit the chances this can happen is kind of important and fantasy players will find time to adjust. In my local home league for years guys would be looking for the least inconvenience and that was their primary motivation to rule discussions. To me, that league is the minor leagues... The NFFC is the "show" or the major leagues and high level players (I would think) would be more into fairness and limiting how an unfair or uncontrollable break of bad luck can destroy your game, team, season and investment.
that is to bad that your home league is so weak . not the one i play in we have 4 out of 12 that play nffc . if i include myself we have 5 out of 12 . very hard to win .
It wasn't about my home league. Or who has a tougher home league. I was making the point that in more recreational leagues, players are more concerned about personal convenience and do not want their fantasy football disrupting it.

In higher/highest level professional leagues, I would assume players would want the fairest rules that create the best game playing experience.