Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

kjduke

Re: Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

Post by kjduke » Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Quahogs wrote:FAAB but only 3 times during the season ? After week 1, midseason, and before last game ? Make all players dropped ineligible to be bid on. Its' a way to straddle the line between another DC-type concept and another workmanlike faab league.
Funny you mention that Steve, I was just thinking about what if faab ran only every other week for this contest?

If faab ran on friday only every other week (after weeks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11) it would actually cut the faab workload by 75% in comparison to regular leagues which run 2x per week. If run only three times per year, between bye weeks and injuries, you might have a lot of teams submitting incomplete lineups.

Given more thought, I think I'd dump the overall-only $100 price point and go with a single $125 entry with a lge prize.
Last edited by kjduke on Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

southpaw24

Post by southpaw24 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:47 pm

What I find interesting is the regular season/ playoff scheduling and how it coincides with bye weeks.
In 2013, bye weeks stretch all the way out to week 12 so do you concentrate on filling your roster with players that have late bye weeks to give yourself every opportunity to make the "weeks 10-12 playoffs"? Downside is that your studs will be off when you are trying to accumulate those playoff points. Perhaps the bye week scheduling won't impact how you fill your roster? It's interesting....

Anyway, looks like a fun contest. I like the idea of a limited FAAB with still having the ability to set your lineup on a weekly basis.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 pm

I love the concept and think the $100 entry is the way to go to attract the masses into high stakes FFB. I agree with most that FABB would be a pain if it were every week but really like the idea of just three FABB periods or possibly every other week. Everything else looks great!
Go Big Red!

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Reading through the thread would a F/A period after week 3, after week 9 and after week 12 make sense. So, an early season period to make necessary roster adjustments (after week 3); after the regular season and prior to the start of playoffs (after week 9) and the final period prior to the championship run (after week 12). To adjust for the abbreviated FAAB periods increase roster size to 22 or 24.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Lots of great early ideas and feedback. Lots of positives for the cutline idea, the lower price point, the prize structure, etc. I never would have thought of the limited FAAB on my own and I like that addition. Now we just need to finalize that and I think we have a winner here.

I could see adding roster sizes to 24, 25 or 26 players.

I could see limiting FAAB to 3 or 4 times during the year, no more than every other week. Discussion needed here.

I think one entry fee is the way to go. I don't think $125 is going to drive people away. And I agree with KJ, the league prize makes sense as more people leave with something. The big prize is still there for $125 and a lot of people remain in the running for weeks and weeks.

3-Pack Specials, 5-Pack Specials and even 9-Packs (for $1,000 if possible) are needed. Scheduling of online drafts will be all over the board and some even late at night.

I think this first year we need to be realistic with prizes and make this format work. If the demand is what we hope it will be then in Year 2 we build in additional prizes and money for a year-end live event. But let's make this format work first before getting too crazy. Honestly, there's no reason this unique format can't succeed with the right promotional help and a solid game format. Then TECHNOLOGY has to carry the day to make this as fun as possible in real-time live standings during Weeks 10 through 16.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It's all been good. Keep it coming. This could be fun and a good recruiting tool for the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

jwitzsc

Post by jwitzsc » Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 pm

I remember playing in the original FFOC. If we eliminate the FAAB process, them maybe somehow add a prize structure for the best teams drafted in July/August. I remember FFOC did this as well.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Quahogs wrote:Like the cutline concept. Like the price point because the key here is volume volume volume. Get people drafting in July-August. Tough line to walk FAAB-wise. Draft too early and the team has issues. Wait to draft and you won't get the volume. It's a new contest, why not a new concept ? FAAB but only 3 times during the season ? After week 1, midseason, and before last game ? Make all players dropped ineligible to be bid on. Its' a way to straddle the line between another DC-type concept and another workmanlike faab league.
Okay, I think Steve has helped push us all in the right way as far as managing FAAB in these leagues. I'm working on the rules now to present anew, but help is still needed on FAAB deadlines.

If we do only 3 FAAB periods per season in this format, should we set them before:

a) Week 2 (no NFFC leagues have FAAB before Week 1), Week 7 and Week 12?

b) Or Week 2, Week 6, Week 10?

c) Week 2, Week 6, Week 11?

d) Other Choices?

Do we really need to make all dropped players ineligible? With 4 or 5 weeks inbetween cuts, I don't see the need for this part (sorry Steve). Or am I wrong? Is that important? I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sure it helps the contest. It seems like all owners would have plenty of time to see the new free agent pool and to sort in many ways to find help for their teams. Feedback here is welcome.

I think one price at $125 per team is the way we're going with a $250 top league prize.

Am I missing anything else that needs fine-tuning? Thanks for all the help guys. If we're almost there, then we'll get IT to tweak these rules changes. We feel like we're close here.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue May 21, 2013 2:01 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by kjduke on Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

I don't recall, did the FFOC have faab? I don't think they did but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not dead set against having drops be available but since the price point is minimal I wonder if it's easy to flood a draft with buddies. 5 guys coordinating a drop feeding one super team. I was looking at streamlining this contest for both the operator and players. If it does become a high volume contest (5000 entries etc) do Greg and Tom really want to lord over add/drops to make sure nothing funky is going on? Does the player really want to be working the faab 5-6 times for the 10 teams he has on TOP of the 15+ weekly faab teams? That's why I though 3 periods to "touch" up the squad would be sufficient.

Our Main Event, prime times, Supers, auctions are our bread and butter. Those are the ones we fuss over. I thought the less fuss for a $125 team the better off we'd be.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I think 3 FAAB periods work if rosters can be increased. Maybe 24 Rd draft? With only 3 FAAB periods most teams might look to carry more than one kicker and defense to cover bye weeks and if injuries set in then it could become a challenge to set a lineup in between periods ...
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.