Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

Quahogs

Re: Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

Post by Quahogs » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 am

kjduke wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: But let's make sure we have some meaningful FAAB periods to keep all players pushing to improve their teams, without weekly FAAB. Fair enough?
Sounds fair enough, hope its not more than 3 at most FA periods.
Just trying to see the other side of this ... a low-stakes guy might look at this as his "main event" equivalent.
So a Q for the high stakes player, would 3 faab periods be ok for your NFBC main event leagues?

Whatever your answer, I'm not suggesting a perfect analogy between the two contests - but it could help to achieve some balance between the views of different types of players that might be interested in joining.
KJ - I think the high roster low faab periods could appeal to both sets - the casual/low stakes guy and the hardcore. Casual/Low$ is that way because he doesn't have the time/interest to pour over free agents every other week. Hardcore has 15+ teams and has more important faab to work thru weekly.

But what's going to move this contest initially though ? The casual squirrel out of its hole for his one entry or the 15+ team hardcore player ? Right now hardcore will probably be the mover and 3 faabs would suffice.

Again I see this as a different kind of contest. I don't think making this a Main Event equivalent for the uninitiated is the way to go.

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 am

This looks like a great concept and the limited FAAB is very interesting. The only concern that brings up is what was mentioned earlier with the Bye weeks extending to week 12, which is in the middle of this contest's championship rounds. So, I think having the last FAAB being prior to the start of week12 would be ideal.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Let's offer Special Packages of:

3-Pack for $350 (6.7% off)
5-Pack for $575 (8% off)
9-Pack for $1,000 (11.11% off if you pay via check or money order; no credit card fees)

Thoughts?

We'll also plan online drafts every night at 7 pm ET and 10 pm ET starting in early July. Maybe we'll even do a few at 9 pm ET or 11 pm ET instea of 10 pm ET. It would be out there as a nightly fix for anyone who wanted to do a quick $125 10-team draft. And by being consistent, folks would know it's there every night for two full months.

That's the plan for now. Time to get busy on all of this if you think this is starting to look good. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 am

Quahogs wrote: Again I see this as a different kind of contest.

Agreed, and I like the reduced faab concept. I'm just not as confident as you in that I'll probably need a season playing this to know what number actually feels right ... but it's probably in the 3-6 range with faab every 2nd, 3rd or 4th week. If we get that right I think the concept should be able to work at any price point under the same rules.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 am

The 5-pak looks awkward, a $0.67 savings per team :lol: over the 3-pak; I'd stick with the triple and triple-triple.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 am

kjduke wrote:The 5-pak looks awkward, a $0.67 savings per team :lol: over the 3-pak; I'd stick with the triple and triple-triple.
Okay, how's this?

5-Pack for $575 (8% off)

That's $50 off for 5 teams, $10 per team.

9 teams is $13.88 off each team, but we have no credit card fees, which helps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 pm

I have updated the Rules on the first post of the first page on this thread. Changes made to it include:

5. Roster Requirements: Maximum of 26 players at all times.

8. Free Agent Acquisitions: Any player who is not on a team roster within your league is considered a free agent for that league. The free agent system will be a "blind bidding" process for each individual league (Free Agent Acquisition Bidding or FAAB), but will be held ONLY 3 TIMES DURING THE SEASON. FAAB will run before Week 2, before Week 6 and before Week 10. Each team will start with a $1,000 FAAB budget, and will be permitted to bid for free agents three times per year. No team will be informed of any other team's free agent bids before they’re announced and only the winning bid and the runner-up bid will be announced afterwards to NFFC owners. The team with the highest bid on any given player will be awarded that player. The amount of the winning bid will be deducted from the winning team's free agent dollars. For each winning bid, the winning team must drop a player to make roster room for the free agent acquisition. If a team's free agent dollars goes to zero, that team will no longer be allowed to bid for the rest of the season. No bid will be accepted that is larger than a team's free agent dollars. All bids must be in increments of dollars (no cents). Free Agent bidding in the NFFC Cutline Championship continues through Week 10 within each league, even after the regular season is completed in Week 9.

9. The Draft: All drafts will be held online at nffc.stats.com. The draft will be held in a serpentine fashion for all 26 rounds: 1-10 in Round 1, 10-1 in Round 2 and continuously that way for 26 rounds. There is no Third Round Reversal in the NFFC Cutline Championship and no KDS. Draft spots are randomly picked in the NFFC Cutline Championship.

10. Bidding Time Frame: The NFFC Cutline Championship will have just one bidding period during each of the three FAAB bidding time frames. That will be on Friday of Week 2, Friday of Week 6 and Friday of Week 10. The FAAB period will run for all available free agents from that week on Friday at 10 pm ET. Rosters will be updated by 11 p.m. ET on Friday with the results of all winning and runner-up bids. Standings on tied bids will be based on the standings at the time of FAAB bid.

12. Number of Bid Limits: There is no limit to the number of bids each week in which bids are permitted. However, only the 5 playoff teams from each league will be able to make bids in Week 10.

15. League Structure: Each league will consist of 10 teams competing in a head-to-head and total points format for the league championship. The top 2 teams advance to the Championship Round after Week 9, while the 3 other top teams move onto the Wild Card Round. Teams compete in the Championship and Wild Card Rounds in Weeks 10, 11 and 12 to advance to Week 13. Each week during the playoff rounds of Weeks 13 to 16 teams will be eliminated from the Championship Round and Wild Card bracket through the Cutline process, while some teams from the Wild Card bracket will earn a spot into the Championship Round. The number of teams will eventually be pared down to 12 teams in the Championship Round by Week 16 with those teams competing for the top overall prizes.

I'm not saying these rules are final, but they are closer to what we'll have than what I first posted. Again, I'll take feedback on the three FAAB dates and anything else here. Thanks all.

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:I have updated the Rules on the first post of the first page on this thread. Changes made to it include:

5. Roster Requirements: Maximum of 26 players at all times.

8. Free Agent Acquisitions: Any player who is not on a team roster within your league is considered a free agent for that league. The free agent system will be a "blind bidding" process for each individual league (Free Agent Acquisition Bidding or FAAB), but will be held ONLY 3 TIMES DURING THE SEASON. FAAB will run before Week 2, before Week 6 and before Week 10. Each team will start with a $1,000 FAAB budget, and will be permitted to bid for free agents three times per year. No team will be informed of any other team's free agent bids before they’re announced and only the winning bid and the runner-up bid will be announced afterwards to NFFC owners. The team with the highest bid on any given player will be awarded that player. The amount of the winning bid will be deducted from the winning team's free agent dollars. For each winning bid, the winning team must drop a player to make roster room for the free agent acquisition. If a team's free agent dollars goes to zero, that team will no longer be allowed to bid for the rest of the season. No bid will be accepted that is larger than a team's free agent dollars. All bids must be in increments of dollars (no cents). Free Agent bidding in the NFFC Cutline Championship continues through Week 10 within each league, even after the regular season is completed in Week 9.

9. The Draft: All drafts will be held online at nffc.stats.com. The draft will be held in a serpentine fashion for all 26 rounds: 1-10 in Round 1, 10-1 in Round 2 and continuously that way for 26 rounds. There is no Third Round Reversal in the NFFC Cutline Championship and no KDS. Draft spots are randomly picked in the NFFC Cutline Championship.

10. Bidding Time Frame: The NFFC Cutline Championship will have just one bidding period during each of the three FAAB bidding time frames. That will be on Friday of Week 2, Friday of Week 6 and Friday of Week 10. The FAAB period will run for all available free agents from that week on Friday at 10 pm ET. Rosters will be updated by 11 p.m. ET on Friday with the results of all winning and runner-up bids. Standings on tied bids will be based on the standings at the time of FAAB bid.

12. Number of Bid Limits: There is no limit to the number of bids each week in which bids are permitted. However, only the 5 playoff teams from each league will be able to make bids in Week 10.

15. League Structure: Each league will consist of 10 teams competing in a head-to-head and total points format for the league championship. The top 2 teams advance to the Championship Round after Week 9, while the 3 other top teams move onto the Wild Card Round. Teams compete in the Championship and Wild Card Rounds in Weeks 10, 11 and 12 to advance to Week 13. Each week during the playoff rounds of Weeks 13 to 16 teams will be eliminated from the Championship Round and Wild Card bracket through the Cutline process, while some teams from the Wild Card bracket will earn a spot into the Championship Round. The number of teams will eventually be pared down to 12 teams in the Championship Round by Week 16 with those teams competing for the top overall prizes.

I'm not saying these rules are final, but they are closer to what we'll have than what I first posted. Again, I'll take feedback on the three FAAB dates and anything else here. Thanks all.
Looks good to me.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm

No concerns about the Friday-only bidding period excluding the Thursday night teams?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:No concerns about the Friday-only bidding period excluding the Thursday night teams?
I'm looking for feedback on that as well. These three FAABs are more like seasonal free agent pickups rather than additions just for Weeks 2, 6 and 10. I thought having them on Friday would take some of the headaches away from owners who also have the Wednesday FAABs for those weeks. I'm open to a Wednesday deadline for those weeks and gladly seek feedback there, but you can see our reasoning for Fridays now.

Thoughts?