Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

BillyWaz

Re: Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Championship

Post by BillyWaz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:24 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:No concerns about the Friday-only bidding period excluding the Thursday night teams?
I'm looking for feedback on that as well. These three FAABs are more like seasonal free agent pickups rather than additions just for Weeks 2, 6 and 10. I thought having them on Friday would take some of the headaches away from owners who also have the Wednesday FAABs for those weeks. I'm open to a Wednesday deadline for those weeks and gladly seek feedback there, but you can see our reasoning for Fridays now.

Thoughts?
I totally agree, Greg. These seem more like seasonal/band aid/spec picks rather than trying to win a week before a Thursday night game.

After the first year of 2 FAAB periods, it is obvious that Wednesdays are the HEAVY FAAB night, and if you get a late injury in the week, or want a minor upgrade, you do Fridays as well (as most wires are generally "picked over"). I love keeping it on Fridays only, as I know my Wednesday nights are gonna be REAL busy! ;)

I think you are sitting on a winner here, and won't be surprised at all when this grows to 5,000+ teams next year and we are looking at a 100K (or more) grand prize! :D

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:No concerns about the Friday-only bidding period excluding the Thursday night teams?
I'm looking for feedback on that as well. These three FAABs are more like seasonal free agent pickups rather than additions just for Weeks 2, 6 and 10. I thought having them on Friday would take some of the headaches away from owners who also have the Wednesday FAABs for those weeks. I'm open to a Wednesday deadline for those weeks and gladly seek feedback there, but you can see our reasoning for Fridays now.

Thoughts?
Friday's 100% for me.

Monkeyville

Post by Monkeyville » Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 am

I like the Friday only option as well.
FEAR THE MONKEY!!!

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 am

Might be a good format to try out team kicker.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

mattjb wrote:Might be a good format to try out team kicker.
Actually a decent idea, no one is gonna want to hold a handcuff kicker(s) for the last half of the season (should have 2 guys, but with the Bye weeks running through Week 12 this year, if you have a late bye and your other kicker gets hurt, you are down a body for one of the important playoff weeks).

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am

Love it.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Thoughts?
I totally agree, Greg. These seem more like seasonal/band aid/spec picks rather than trying to win a week before a Thursday night game.

After the first year of 2 FAAB periods, it is obvious that Wednesdays are the HEAVY FAAB night, and if you get a late injury in the week, or want a minor upgrade, you do Fridays as well (as most wires are generally "picked over"). I love keeping it on Fridays only, as I know my Wednesday nights are gonna be REAL busy! ;)

I think you are sitting on a winner here, and won't be surprised at all when this grows to 5,000+ teams next year and we are looking at a 100K (or more) grand prize! :D
I LOVE your optimism Billy. If this contest does take off this year and next year it will be because of the input from all of our great NFFC customers. You folks helped us build this monster. We just had the initial idea and the IT department showed us how they could build it to make the cutline portion real-time, fun and interactive. I'm loving this format now, too.

Okay, next up is the Schedule of Events and then we'll get this added to Registration and on the list of Events. We have a lot of work to do in the next 3 months to fill this up, but I think word of mouth will go a long ways here. Thanks everyone for all of the input so far. This is going to be a unique format special to the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Not at this time. Everyone will have tough roster decisions to make, but with 26 available spots each owner has plenty of time to get backups at every position...including at kicker. We can't make this contest so easy for everyone!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

telestar

Post by telestar » Fri May 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Sorry I am so late to this discussion - but it looks like you have good feedback already. I just wanted to suggest something that is on a little different tangent. :idea: I think one of the keys to the success of this contest would be the clarity of the standings page(s). For example, I think you should consider getting the tech team to look at color coding those that would qualify at the next cut line. So for example, through the first 9 weeks you would be referring to your league standings, and on the standings page the top two teams would be colored in (for example) green :mrgreen: indicating that - if the weeks 1-9 were concluded today - they would make the championship round. The next three teams would be colored in yellow indicating current qualification for the Wild Card round. The other five teams would be in red indicating that they were currently not qualifying for any part of the playoffs.

Then during weeks 10-12 there would be a combined standings page - I know you already would have this. But augment it by showing the green, yellow and red colors showing where everyone stands and where you need to be. It would really clarify matters, and I think this is needed because it is a little confusing as the cutline is moving and is different for the Championship and WIld Card standings. But if entrants are clear that whatever the standings list you have - one color would indicate Championship, one would indicate Wild Card, and one would indicate a failure to qualify at the next cutline date, it should be easier for everyone.

And come to think of it, you could standardize this for all contests if you decide it is helpful. That way everyone could quickly see where they were and how close they were to the line on any overall standings list. I would try to think of a way to trademark this for NFFC, but I don't think that the color spectrum is available for copyright protection. :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 am

That's a great idea Todd and you are correct this could be done easily for all of our NFFC contests. I'll pass this onto our IT team and see what we can do. But well thought out and a solid idea for this contest and all of our contests.