Vereen Out

Sandman62

Re: Vereen Out

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Thompkins bounces back bigtime this week - and I'll be in Foxboro to cheer him on! 8-)

dabird777

Post by dabird777 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
dabird777 wrote:Julian Edelman is nothing special. If he were, the Pats wouldn't have gone out and got Amendola.
Maybe he was special enough to be playing AHEAD of Welker early last season, and special enough that they let Welker walk?
The Pats let Welker walk because they're so cheap, they make Bengals owner Mike Brown look like a philanthropist. And, again, they went out and got Amendola because Edelman is just an emergency player. Don't forget that Edelman was just a third-rate defensive back before his conversion to WR. When Gronk comes back, Edelman disappears.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Sandman62 wrote:Thompkins bounces back bigtime this week - and I'll be in Foxboro to cheer him on! 8-)
I dunno about Thompkins bouncing back if Cromartie is on him.

dabird777

Post by dabird777 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Agreed, TR. Thompkins may be one of those guys who are a Training camp superstar. Then, when the real games start, they get busted in the mouth and we find out what they're really made of. Kenbrell sure didn't handle it well in week 1.

Thank goodness he plays Thursday is all I can say. We get to see what he'll do and decide if we want him in our lineups come Sunday. Because as he looks right now, I'd rather have a Brian Hartline or an Andre Roberts in my lineup.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 pm

dabird777 wrote:Agreed, TR. Thompkins may be one of those guys who are a Training camp superstar. Then, when the real games start, they get busted in the mouth and we find out what they're really made of. Kenbrell sure didn't handle it well in week 1.

Thank goodness he plays Thursday is all I can say. We get to see what he'll do and decide if we want him in our lineups come Sunday. Because as he looks right now, I'd rather have a Brian Hartline or an Andre Roberts in my lineup.
You can only do that the first week of season....can't put thompkins or any thursday player back into lineup after seeing what they can do now.

dabird777

Post by dabird777 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm

TR wrote:
dabird777 wrote:Agreed, TR. Thompkins may be one of those guys who are a Training camp superstar. Then, when the real games start, they get busted in the mouth and we find out what they're really made of. Kenbrell sure didn't handle it well in week 1.

You can only do that the first week of season....can't put thompkins or any thursday player back into lineup after seeing what they can do now.
Ah, good to know. Just leave him out altogether, then, until he proves himself.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:59 am

dabird777 wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:
dabird777 wrote:Julian Edelman is nothing special. If he were, the Pats wouldn't have gone out and got Amendola.
Maybe he was special enough to be playing AHEAD of Welker early last season, and special enough that they let Welker walk?
The Pats let Welker walk because they're so cheap, they make Bengals owner Mike Brown look like a philanthropist. And, again, they went out and got Amendola because Edelman is just an emergency player. Don't forget that Edelman was just a third-rate defensive back before his conversion to WR. When Gronk comes back, Edelman disappears.
So they let Welker's AND Lloyd both walk and were fine just because they got Amendola? Naah, I think they knew they had Edelman to replace Welker and Amendola for Lloyd.

afv

Post by afv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 am

Sandman62 wrote:Thompkins bounces back bigtime this week - and I'll be in Foxboro to cheer him on! 8-)
Hopefully everyone else that drafted him in the OC feels the same way and starts him again after reaching for him in round 8! :twisted:

Not to get too down on a rookie playing in his first game, but receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was pretty awful in several areas, showing very little awareness. In addition to catching only 4 of 14 passes thrown his way, double-clutching his catches, and slipping and falling on multiple occasions, he twice wasn’t able to tap his foot down for a catch — once along the sideline, once in the back of the end zone.

Thompkins made a sliding catch on a slant pass down at the 2-yard line, but he would have had a touchdown if he had just stayed on his feet. And he ran the wrong route on the goal line in the fourth quarter, running right into Edelman and forcing Brady to take a sack on third down.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html

afv

Post by afv » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 am

Sandman62 wrote:
[/quote]
So they let Welker's AND Lloyd both walk and were fine just because they got Amendola? Naah, I think they knew they had Edelman to replace Welker and Amendola for Lloyd.[/quote]

Right on. Plus three rookie lottery tickets.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 am

afv wrote:
Hopefully everyone else that drafted him in the OC feels the same way and starts him again after reaching for him in round 8! :twisted:

Not to get too down on a rookie playing in his first game, but receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was pretty awful in several areas, showing very little awareness. In addition to catching only 4 of 14 passes thrown his way, double-clutching his catches, and slipping and falling on multiple occasions, he twice wasn’t able to tap his foot down for a catch — once along the sideline, once in the back of the end zone.

Thompkins made a sliding catch on a slant pass down at the 2-yard line, but he would have had a touchdown if he had just stayed on his feet. And he ran the wrong route on the goal line in the fourth quarter, running right into Edelman and forcing Brady to take a sack on third down.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html
First NFL game jitters. Plus, some of the blame is on Brady too for some errant passes.

I think the Pats have to give him another chance to settle in, given their situation. It'd be too easy for the Jets to take Edelman out of the game if Brady can't keep targeting other receivers.