WOWSERS! TRICH TO COLTS!

chriseibl

Re: WOWSERS! TRICH TO COLTS!

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 am

It's funny because I'm in complete agreement with Will's opinions about Starks and McGahee, I just think it's a 50/50 bet that an RB hits the market with similar qualifications the rest of the season. (I.e., for Starks, you have a one week play who is within the top 15 RBs for a lot of people for this one week only, in my rankings at least, and then solidified himself as the clear handcuff to any Lacy owner). Even without this week, there are few clear handcuffs available, much less ones who play for decent offenses.

I am in no way a fan of McGahee's talent. But could he very well be the last starting running back available in free agency? Yes. And regardless of a starting RBs talent, you can almost always milk something from them when the opponent is right. Of course, McGahee could fail his physical and the whole thing could blow up... but in that case I'll probably get the same amount of starting RBs from free agency as I would have otherwise, zero.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 am

An interesting, cool-headed perspective from Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.
I guess I feel a little better for the long-term; but in the short-term, it's still painful.

Through two games in 2013, the Cleveland Browns have scored a total of 16 points. And as Browns general manager Michael Lombardi was watching the team on Sunday -- when the Browns scored six points against a Baltimore defense that had been thrashed the week before -- in a game in which Trent Richardson was stuffed short over and over because the Ravens had little respect for the Browns' passing game, he might have been thinking, "If only I could redo the 2012 draft."

After all, when the Browns drafted Trent Richardson at No. 3 overall, and Brandon Weeden at No. 22, Lombardi wasn't in charge.

Well, now he is. And after trading Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2014 first-round pick, he does get to redo the draft, with two first-round picks of his own this May.

It's a great move for the Browns, who just got a ton of value for a player they couldn't maximize anyway. And now they'll have two Round 1 selections in a draft that should be loaded with QB talent, which is the No. 1 need in Cleveland.

A few thoughts on why I like the trade:

1. Richardson's value is diminished in Cleveland
Many Cleveland fans are probably mad based on the loss of talent in the short term. But they're simply seeing star potential and not seeing relative value. It's not a shot at him, but Richardson simply doesn't have that much value to a team that can't consistently move the ball through the air. If you're mad the Browns just gave up what some might call a "franchise back," just ask yourself this: How good is the offense with him? How much is Richardson really worth to this Browns team? Is he capable of making this a decent offense on his own or adding more wins? Is he appreciably better than a player like Washington Redskins RB Alfred Morris, who was drafted 170 spots later? Just check the Vegas lines. A game with or without Richardson might be worth a half point.

If you're still using old maxims like, "You need the run to set up the pass!" you need to re-educate yourself on where the NFL is at. A franchise running back is practically an oxymoron. The Browns can't get great value out of Richardson because they don't have an even adequate passing game, and defenses know it. I was there on Sunday in Baltimore, and in Richardson I saw just another good running back with no chance against a stacked box of defenders. It's why before this trade he was on his way to yet another season in which he could average fewer than 4 yards per carry. (He's at 3.4 yards per carry through two games. He was at 3.6 last year.)

2. This draft could offer big help for the Browns
The Browns have a pretty good defense. They even have a couple of good pieces on the offensive line, a brilliant left tackle among them. But this is a league in which the rules are literally set to help passing offenses, and the Browns don't have a franchise quarterback … and they're dreadfully inconsistent at wide receiver. The addition of another first-round pick gives them the ability to take a QB in the first round of a 2014 draft that should be loaded with talent at quarterback. You could have the likes of Teddy Bridgewater, Brett Hundley, Marcus Mariota, Tajh Boyd, Johnny Manziel and a number of other really interesting prospects. With the added first-round pick, the Browns could even take the guy they believe is a franchise QB in Round 1 and add a depth flier later on.

After what you're seeing to start 2013, did you really want to go into 2014 with Weeden and Richardson at this same level and assume things would be better?

3. The Browns got remarkable draft value for a running back
It seems almost absurd that any team could get a first-round pick in return for a running back in today's NFL. When undrafted free agents like Arian Foster can lead the league in rushing, or rookies like Morris can put up huge totals, everyone knows that this is a position more beholden to surroundings than almost any other. And remember, Richardson already played a full season with an injury. He also came into the 2012 draft with some minor injury concerns. I'm surprised a team could get a first-rounder for any running back, much less one with any recent injury issues. And remember, the value of a first-round pick has never been higher. You're essentially drafting assumed starters, and doing so knowing they'll be on the roster at a low price for years to come.

I understand what Indy is doing. The Colts are looking to establish a power run game to complement and protect a great quarterback. They want to become more multiple. But they're doing that because they have that great quarterback. A healthy Richardson has far more value to them than he does to the Browns.

I understand what the Colts did. But I love what the Browns did.

Richardson is a good player, but he's not the difference between winning and losing in Cleveland -- this year or next. He could be out of Cleveland by the time he truly has value. Cleveland now has 10 total picks in the 2014 draft, including two 1s, two 3s and two 4s. The 2014 draft could change the entire direction of the franchise, and at worst will significantly upgrade the talent on this roster. This is a bet Cleveland had to make.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... and-browns

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 am

Kiper is a draft-geek, of course he'd love any trade that stacks draft picks. So the Browns have 2 No. 1s, 2 No. 3s and 2 No. 4s. That's VERY exciting to a guy like Mel Kiper, but it sure doesn't turn on Browns' fans who are paying $100 a ticket to watch this season's sorry ass team. The Dog Pound has to be fuming.

I get what Kiper is saying about Mike Lombardi seeing this sorry mess he inherited and just blowing it up. It's a great shot at Mike Holmgren and the previous regime, too. It takes a lot of balls to do this, knowing that you have to hit on whatever franchise QB you get in 2014 and on every other pick you now have. Who is this franchise QB they think they'll get in 2014 anyway who is going to save this franchise?

So if the Browns scored 16 points in two games WITH Richardson, how many points per game are they going to score without him? It's going to be ugly, ugly, ugly for the Browns and Jags the rest of the year. And here we thought the Raiders would be the worst team in football. Not anymore folks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

afv

Post by afv » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am

Bobby Rainey (Cle) Online Championship Aug 22 10:00 pm Lg.9227 Juggernaut $440 ? :o

particra

Post by particra » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 am

You think that's good, in one of my Classic Leagues:

McGahee: 657
Ogbonnoya: 312
Bobby Rainey: 150

Chris Rainey: 212

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am

particra wrote:You think that's good, in one of my Classic Leagues:

Chris Rainey :lol:

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 am

got heeem wrote:SPEND THAT $$$ LIKE A DRUNK SAILER LOOKING FOR A DRINK AND A DATE . SPEND - SPEND AND SPEND SOME MORE . :lol: :lol: :lol:
The ironic part about this is that there are always owners who don't spend their free agent $, which is FAR worse than spending it on chances to improve your team.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:31 am

particra wrote:You think that's good, in one of my Classic Leagues:

Somewhat understandable. A couple times I caught myself almost clicking on Chris Rainey.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 am

wiljiro wrote:wow - the reactionary nature of some of the people that play this game is astonishing -

727 for Willis McGahee??? That's what someone bid on him tonight in one of my Primetime leads - A guy who, A - is not even signed yet, he's taking a physical - B - could not make the Giants team and was passed over for Brandon Jacobs?? and - C - Did I mention that he has not even signed yet??

As for the Trent trade - Can we relax on the "Trent will be number one over all" next year talk please? There's two sides to every trade - He was in his SECOND year - even if the Browns were rebuilding - they just traded away their first round draft pick from a year ago - in his SECOND season - if you don't think they don't know something about Trent's ability to stay healthy - or perform at his expected standard over the long haul, then you are crazy -

Starks??? Seriously? Starks? Ummmm.... that was the Redskins Defense guys.... I think I could go 13 for 87 with 4 catches and a TD against that team - not to mention the fact Lacy is going to be back in a week or two -

Snelling? He wasn't good when he was good! - jeeez.....

Ok - off soap box - Thanks for all the donations....;)

Will
Saw that last night, shell shocked.

I found it funny someone bid $463 in that league for McGahee AND Starks and didn't get either :lol:

-Jaryd

cass

Post by cass » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

MacGhee went for 931 in my OC league!. I actually spit up my drink in laughter...there were some ludicris bids this week...but u gotta love it. 1 less owner to worry about next week.