Radical concept regarding injuries

renman

Radical concept regarding injuries

Post by renman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:38 pm

***RADICAL THOUGHT***

Let me say this is something I am just throwing out as a conversation starter given this is the time of year we are all miserable about injuries and some start to question investing this much in high stakes ff given the injury factor.

We all obviously hate the injury part of fantasy football. It is my assumption that most serious or high stake fantasy football players are very plugged into the games as they are played. Most in these fantasy circles are not setting their lineups on a Saturday and embarking on their weekend and then half watch football only to check their teams stats Sunday at 5pm. I do understand millions of recreational fantasy players do play that way and that is fine. This point is for the ultra serious fantasy player.

Would there be any interest in a league that allowed live, in game, real time transactions? For instance, your RB rolls an ankle in the second quarter. You immediately pull him from your lineup and put in another player from your bench. Everything is in real time so the moment the move is made you accrue stats generated by the replacement player. Would a league or format like that be fun?

It could lessen the pain of injuries while adding another element to draft strategy and also would be fun for those who are deeply engaged in every play of every game I am not advocating we do this. I am not even saying it would be possible. I certainly would not think this could work in main stream games or main events. Just wondering if the idea is that outlandish. Curious as to if anyone will have a thought.

KenGill

Re: Radical concept regarding injuries

Post by KenGill » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:22 pm

No
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:03 pm

In my home league we have a 1 reserve player rule.

You can name any player on your bench as your reserve and they automatically take their place in the line-up if they score more than someone else at their position (due to injury or just poor play)

It becomes quite tactical.

renman

Post by renman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:37 pm

KenGill wrote:No

I was hoping the thoughts would be backed up by sentences...lol 3RR came from open forum discussion on the topic. Many people initially said "NO" to it.

As I said in my first post, I am not saying I support such an idea or format. I just threw the idea out for discussion. We always hear people rant and rave about how injuries destroy their fantasy football enjoyment. Could there be a place for a fringe format that allowed IN GAME transactions to give some protection against an owner who had Mike Vick and he goes out early in the game.

Just seems like it could possibly be a fun format.

renman

Post by renman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:38 pm

mattjb wrote:In my home league we have a 1 reserve player rule.

You can name any player on your bench as your reserve and they automatically take their place in the line-up if they score more than someone else at their position (due to injury or just poor play)

It becomes quite tactical.

Interesting concept.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:21 am

It wouldn't work.

Essentially, you'd have to watch every game at once and watch Thursday night, Saturday's in December, all of Sunday day/night and Monday night with your eyes glued to the tv and internet screen searching for injuries. If you are unable to watch every game at every second you're at a disadvantage.

Then, you would need software sophisticated enough to calculate scoring by the minute, which seems almost impossible. Sure, if you want to have a league with a $10,000 software fee you might be able to pull it off :lol:

If McCoy goes down, you take him out, then you put him back in 15 minutes later. Is there really programming that can allow the points to adjust on the fly? Doubt it.

3RR is an easy adjustment that is a one time fix for unbalanced drafting. What you're asking for just isn't logical.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am

Coach JP wrote:It wouldn't work.

Essentially, you'd have to watch every game at once and watch Thursday night, Saturday's in December, all of Sunday day/night and Monday night with your eyes glued to the tv and internet screen searching for injuries. If you are unable to watch every game at every second you're at a disadvantage.

Then, you would need software sophisticated enough to calculate scoring by the minute, which seems almost impossible. Sure, if you want to have a league with a $10,000 software fee you might be able to pull it off :lol:

If McCoy goes down, you take him out, then you put him back in 15 minutes later. Is there really programming that can allow the points to adjust on the fly? Doubt it.

3RR is an easy adjustment that is a one time fix for unbalanced drafting. What you're asking for just isn't logical.
All good points. In addition, the NFL games start at AT LEAST 5 different times in a given week (Thursday night, Sunday early PM, Sunday late PM, Sunday night, and Monday night). If you pull a guy from a Thursday game with 3:45 remaining in the 3rd quarter, do you get his replacement's stats for the first or the last 18:15 of the Sunday 4pm game?

I don't see how such an exercise would be feasible.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 am

renman wrote:
KenGill wrote:No

I was hoping the thoughts would be backed up by sentences...lol 3RR came from open forum discussion on the topic. Many people initially said "NO" to it.

As I said in my first post, I am not saying I support such an idea or format. I just threw the idea out for discussion. We always hear people rant and rave about how injuries destroy their fantasy football enjoyment. Could there be a place for a fringe format that allowed IN GAME transactions to give some protection against an owner who had Mike Vick and he goes out early in the game.

Just seems like it could possibly be a fun format.
-------------------------------------------
OK gave you the short answer now here is the detailed one. Unlike 3RR which was a great idea and designed to level the field (preventing those with the #1, 2, 3 picks from a major advantage which was backed up by the data), this idea here does the opposite. It gives a major advantage to anyone who has the time and/or resources to watch for injuries during the games. (you?) It gives a major disadvantage to everyone else. No thanks. It's hard enough competing in these leagues, we dont' need something like this to deal with as well.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Let me say up front (before someone blows a gasket as some are want to do here). I am NOT saying we should have this format and am just playing devils advocate for the fun of discussion.

As for there being an advantage or disadvantage to those who are plugged in and watching all the games all the time.

The is exactly the point of the format. This would only be for those fringe guys who are totally into it and are watching all games at all times. It wouldn't be for the regular fantasy guy who drafts his team or teams, plugs in his lineup and goes apple picking with the wife or golfing with his buddies on Sunday and peeks at his phone from time to time.

This would be only for those who would be full throttle watching everything. I was just curious if a fringe format like this would be interesting. Because it could lessen some of the pain of the single biggest downer that exists in fantasy football. That being when a big player gets hurt and you are stuck with a zero.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 pm

I couldn't be more for any discussion / ideas on this topic as I'm just tired of barely losing with my QBs TWO weeks in a row giving me NEGATIVE fantasy points :evil: (cant believe that is even possible!). You are beyond done getting a 0 at the NFFC with QB scoring here sooooooooo high

I dont think any idea where you HAVE to watch every second of every game will ever fly but you could have something like this. You rank your positions, lets use QB for laughs for me, and it goes like this:
1. Michael Vick
2. Alex Smith
3. Geno Smith
So Vick is my starting QB, he starts for me. *IF* he gets hurt then from that point on (Lets say Q1, 3:26 remaning), I would get Smith's points from there on. Obviously its complicated because what if Vick returns like a quarter later? But at least with this way you wouldn't have to watch any games / make any changes (because many people cant watch games all day Sunday). If Vick plays at 4 and Smith at 1 it wouldnt matter, I would still get Smith's points.

The idea i originally had before reading this post was: You rank your players at each position like above and then its either set as one of these options or maybe you get to pick the cut off. Say the 3 options are "Active, Q1, Q2." So if you pick active then as long as your player is active that you have ranked #1 he's locked in, if he gets hurt in the first second you are screwed. The next option Q1 means he has to finish Q1 for you to get his stats, if he doesnt then you automatically get ALL the stats for your #2 QB, not from the point of injury. Or Q2 where he has to finish the first 2 quarters. I just always hope my guys can play at least a half before getting hurt. I find I lose like crazy with 0's but if they can play a half and get some points before injury I can survive. My favorite thing about this is when you have a questionable star in the 4 o'clock games you have to consider benching him to not get 0'd, this way you wouldn't have to worry about that. *One bonus thing about this idea is when people give up and dont update their lineups this would update them unless they had a ton of byes*

And to be clear, I'm not saying "change it to this right now!" More just talking out loud to see if anything sticks...