I guess I have to ask

ChiTwn

Re: I guess I have to ask

Post by ChiTwn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:39 pm

kjduke wrote: Player value is fluid. The best protector of league integrity is a strong and involved commishioner. No cut-lists aren't nearly as good, especially one that would've been established 10 weeks ago.
I agree with the player value. I am not the biggest fan of no cut-lists either, but it would have definitely prevented these two drops. Now getting involved after the fact seems a bit arbitrary/subjective. Lot of leagues for Greg/Tom to be commishing.

For example: RG3 has already played this Thursday. It would be hell of an ordeal putting the horse back in the barn. Especially, if the guy already played RG3.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 pm

ChiTwn wrote:
kjduke wrote: Player value is fluid. The best protector of league integrity is a strong and involved commishioner. No cut-lists aren't nearly as good, especially one that would've been established 10 weeks ago.
I agree with the player value. I am not the biggest fan of no cut-lists either, but it would have definitely prevented these two drops. Now getting involved after the fact seems a bit arbitrary/subjective. Lot of leagues for Greg/Tom to be commishing.

For example: RG3 has already played this Thursday. It would be hell of an ordeal putting the horse back in the barn. Especially, if the guy already played RG3.
It is subjective, which is why it works. There are players that were drafted as WR1's who are either injured or playing like crap that are much less valuable today than other players that went undrafted. An intelligent human can sort that out, a 3-month old list cannot. I am 100% confident they will make the right decision more often than the alternative.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 pm

kjduke wrote: It is subjective, which is why it works. There are players that were drafted as WR1's who are either injured or playing like crap that are much less valuable today than other players that went undrafted. An intelligent human can sort that out, a 3-month old list cannot. I am 100% confident they will make the right decision more often than the alternative.
I agree with the players drafted at high adps playing well below their values.

Using the Tom Brady example. People should not get upset if he was dropped after week 6 or 7. Other than his brand name, he has produced like an avg fantasy qb until week 9. And another name I would think is droppable would be Trent Richardson.

I wouldn't have problems with people cutting such big names. Like you said they were playing well below their adp, and T rich continues to play like crap. If folks have issues with such names being dropped. I am not sure then how the subjective method would function properly.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 am

Interesting Brady discussion. I agree that he should not be disallowed to be dropped. However, one must look at who is on the roster that could be dropped instead. In a 1400 private league that mirrors the 14 team format here, someone dropped him. Magically, a team that needed a QB and was doing well in the league had a lot of money and got him. It looks bad when the team in last makes that drop and keeps the likes of Avant, a 2nd defense, Mccown, Underwood and Mercedes Lewis on board. I can see some scenarios where it would make sense to drop Brady. But that was not one of them. His Qb's are now Keenum and Mccown with all that crap on his bench. So I think it has to be looked at on a case by case basis to make it fair. I trust Greg and Tom to make the right calls on all situations that come up. They know the game and use good sense. T

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:55 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Interesting Brady discussion. I agree that he should not be disallowed to be dropped. However, one must look at who is on the roster that could be dropped instead. In a 1400 private league that mirrors the 14 team format here, someone dropped him. Magically, a team that needed a QB and was doing well in the league had a lot of money and got him. It looks bad when the team in last makes that drop and keeps the likes of Avant, a 2nd defense, Mccown, Underwood and Mercedes Lewis on board. I can see some scenarios where it would make sense to drop Brady. But that was not one of them. His Qb's are now Keenum and Mccown with all that crap on his bench. So I think it has to be looked at on a case by case basis to make it fair. I trust Greg and Tom to make the right calls on all situations that come up. They know the game and use good sense. T
exactly. in this case it is hard to make an excuse for brady to be dropped. it is also hard to make a case by case approval on who and when a player can be dropped. that is why ( except for ir ) if a guideline is made on first 2 rounds and players added to list it would take any arguments away from the situation. again we are talking about pickups and not drops. you should be able to drop anyone but not allowed to pick up certain players. by doing this it would take away any arguments and judgmental situations that come up.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:48 am

Just an FYI: We did call the one owner who cut Sproles in both leagues to see what happened and he said he did see the IR designation at the last minute on our NFFC site and quickly tried to pick up a replacement. We felt we contributed to this decision and allowed him to cut a different player from his current roster in each league. His FAAB pickups didn't change; just his cuts did. Sproles is on his team in both Online Championship leagues and we fixed Sproles' IR designation on Thursday afternoon.

Sorry about the confusion there folks on Sproles.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 am

greg , both you and tom do a great job with people and personalities that are not ez to handle. that being said i think a concrete rule should be made for next year so that a muti page thread and hard feelings do not take place next year. with the top of the line players here a couple different ways to deal with this can be put in place and pick one that seems the best and make it a rule.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am

BLACKHAND wrote:greg , both you and tom do a great job with people and personalities that are not ez to handle. that being said i think a concrete rule should be made for next year so that a muti page thread and hard feelings do not take place next year. with the top of the line players here a couple different ways to deal with this can be put in place and pick one that seems the best and make it a rule.
Thanks Frank. Hey, I heard through the grapevine that you put on a heckuva tailgate party last weekend and fortunately this time nobody had to get rushed to the Emergency Room!! :lol: I hear you also got to meet Mikey The Mouth from the NFBC!! Sounds like a good time was had by all and the Jets even came away with an impressive victory. Nice job.

Next year the J-E-T-S are at Lambeau Field!! Sounds like a road trip like the one you took in 2006. Man, time flies when you're having fun.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 am

BLACKHAND wrote: it is also hard to make a case by case approval on who and when a player can be dropped. that is why ( except for ir ) if a guideline is made on first 2 rounds and players added to list it would take any arguments away from the situation. again we are talking about pickups and not drops.
I agree 100%.

In this instance folks were monitoring the drops. If someone missed it, then it becomes a difficult task. Making a case by case approval can be an extremely difficult task. Also, if we do go the way of "no pickup list", that is a new one for me. :)

The same team that dropped the player, should also not be allowed to pickup their dropped player later. I assume that is the way it would work.
BLACKHAND wrote: i think a concrete rule should be made for next year so that a muti page thread and hard feelings do not take place next year. with the top of the line players here a couple different ways to deal with this can be put in place and pick one that seems the best and make it a rule.
Yup, definitely.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:26 pm

That was kind of my point in the RG3 thread, I just wanted to know where the line is drawn? I mean, it appears to me if I hadn't said anything this would have been allowed? And the ONLY reason I caught it was because it happened in one of my leagues (and even though my team is HIGH in the overall standings I didn't think it was right so I said something). I don't have time to look through the drops every week lol! I doubt Greg and Tom do either. But again, I brought it up in the RG3 thread because I wanted to know BEFORE something like this happened. This contest pays out hundreds of thousands of dollars, I would think with that much on the line people would want a set rule more than a judgement call. For example, if you say just the first 2 rounds of ADP well soon that might not include any QBs. I don't know what the right answer is or best way to handle it, i just don't want to see anything ridiculous happen (like someone wins 100k because they got to add Sproles)