Cutline Championship - Why reset the Averages each week?

moyer1313

Cutline Championship - Why reset the Averages each week?

Post by moyer1313 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Just curious as to why, after using Total Points from Week 10 through Week 12 to make the first cut, we start resetting the Averages each week after the cuts?

Why not make all the cuts based on the Total Points accummulated from Week 10 to whatever Week we are in?

Thank you,
Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

ForLoveOfTheGame

Re: Cutline Championship - Why reset the Averages each week?

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Well how about the fact that you could have been cut in week 12, move back into the championship in week 13, get cut in 14, then move back into the championship in 15????????????????????????????????? This is more like the second chance league than the cutline to me. Especially when you move right back to your average so you can get cut and move right back in the following week with your average so be in the top few teams overall no problem. I loved this cutline and had a lot of fun with it but after seeing this I don't like the set up 1%. Let's be honest, that you can get cut TWICE and WIN THE GRAND PRIZE is embarrassing.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 am

moyer1313 wrote:Just curious as to why, after using Total Points from Week 10 through Week 12 to make the first cut, we start resetting the Averages each week after the cuts?

Why not make all the cuts based on the Total Points accummulated from Week 10 to whatever Week we are in?

Thank you,
Mark
Follow Me
It's a valid question and the answer is that we are trying to create this more as a weekly survivor contest with more of a reset each week. Survive and be the best this week rather than be overly rewarded for past performances. Right or wrong, that was the thinking from the start and in Week 16 and any of the 12 survivors have a shot to win it all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:Well how about the fact that you could have been cut in week 12, move back into the championship in week 13, get cut in 14, then move back into the championship in 15????????????????????????????????? This is more like the second chance league than the cutline to me. Especially when you move right back to your average so you can get cut and move right back in the following week with your average so be in the top few teams overall no problem. I loved this cutline and had a lot of fun with it but after seeing this I don't like the set up 1%. Let's be honest, that you can get cut TWICE and WIN THE GRAND PRIZE is embarrassing.
I think embarrassing is a strong word and I'm DEFINITELY not embarrassed by our concept. In fact, I think a lot of people like the Wild Card format where they always have a shot at getting back into the Championship Round. It's not easy to get back into the Championship Round and you'd have to have a hot team to make it back in as you described Jared, but yes that's possible. And that's where the Wild Card fits in.

Again, this is a SURVIVOR type game. Every week you have a chance to go home or move on. In the Wild Card, you are one week away from being eliminated or advancing or moving up into the Championship Round. There's a lot of action there. A lot of teams remain in the running for the grand prize. It's okay for folks to disagree with the rules, but again I think embarrassing is a bit strong. But if a Wild Card team wins the $50,000 -- thus beating 11 other teams from the Championship Round in Week 16 -- that team will definitely have EARNED IT.

I'm definitely not embarrased by the Cutline setup; in fact, I'm proud of it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 pm

As long as I've been at the NFFC I've heard them talk about making sure the right people get paid. Its a staple of the NFFC and a point they advertise a lot. Its a HUGE reason I play here too! I don't see how you could say that the right person got paid if they got cut twice but moved back in to win the grand prize. Likely, all or almost all of the other teams in week 16 would have been there without getting cut once. That's fair? I mean you win TEN THOUSAND dollars for winning the consolation (wild card) bracket, that's equal to 3rd place in the Primetime Championship and double 3rd place in the Classic Championship!!!! So getting cut and still having a shot at 10k seems more than generous to me. Wish I could get eliminated from the championship round in leagues that cost $1600 and have a shot to win 10k still.

***and for full disclosure all of my teams in the cutline will be cut this week. I am THRILLED to have a shot at 10k in a wild card bracket. That seems beyond generous to me and very exciting still. So I'm not just saying all this because I have teams in the championship bracket. I just want to see the person that DESERVES the grand prize the most win it. And as usual, this is just my opinion

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame;

I get what you're saying but you have to realize this competition was set up this way. When I signed up for four teams I basically said to myself I'm throwing away $400 to have fun and see where it goes. It's not a standard format that is the most fair and will reward the best player. This format is the luckiest format they have, and the draw is to award someone a lot of money for such a small investment.

Take the game for what it is -- just because you didn't enjoy it, I don't think it's fair to bash the game and say it was a bad setup.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:That's fair? I mean you win TEN THOUSAND dollars for winning the consolation (wild card) bracket, that's equal to 3rd place in the Primetime Championship and double 3rd place in the Classic Championship!!!! So getting cut and still having a shot at 10k seems more than generous to me. Wish I could get eliminated from the championship round in leagues that cost $1600 and have a shot to win 10k still.
Most of the cutline prize money is in the overall competition, so you can't compare this consolation to the main events. If the mains paid only $3k to the league winner and no other league prize there would be one helluva an overall prize pool.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I said I had a lot of fun with it in my first post, just don't like the fact that I could see a team win that got cut twice. I'm all for a cut team being able to get back in, twice just seems a bit extreme to me. If I lost to a team that got cut twice and I didn't get cut at all I wouldn't feel like "the right person won the money" but that's just me. I guess if you lost to a team who got cut twice you would be ok with that.

That's a great point KJ! Almost every entry fee is for the overall prizes so no wonder they are so big. My point was more that there is a GREAT prize in the wild card bracket already if you get cut but you are right in the comparison part! Good catch

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
moyer1313 wrote:Just curious as to why, after using Total Points from Week 10 through Week 12 to make the first cut, we start resetting the Averages each week after the cuts?

Thank you,
Mark
Follow Me
It's a valid question and the answer is that we are trying to create this more as a weekly survivor contest with more of a reset each week. Survive and be the best this week rather than be overly rewarded for past performances. Right or wrong, that was the thinking from the start and in Week 16 and any of the 12 survivors have a shot to win it all.
I was afriad that that would be the answer.

I understand selling tickets to have a chance to get lucky and advance each week with a Josh Gordan 53 point effort is easier than selling tickets to have a chance to have the better team over a 7 week period.

Unfortunately, I am much more likely to be the team that gets cut because a player gets concussed in the 1st quarter and have no chance to make up for the missed points.

Thank you, for the quick response,
Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:19 am

Why wasn't this question answered before the start of the season when the game and rules were announced? I know why it is being asked now, but I am sure many people know why. This is a great game/concept and hope it remains exactly as promoted this year.