Week 14 Thoughts and Observations

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Week 14 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 pm

chriseibl wrote:I was offered tickets for really cheap tonight and just couldn't do it. Everytime I go to a Bears game in these conditions, I can't wait for that 45 minute walk outside the stadium to end so I can get home and never go outside again. The only upside is that your beer stays cold and the last drops are every bit as good as the first sip.

I'm just not a very tough fan.
Brokers were selling tickets at Lambeau this weekend for $30. There were plenty of no-shows. This weather is brutal to be live at the games, but television ratings for all three networks were way up yesterday, which shows that these games look good on TV but are nasty for the paying customers at the stadiums. And to think, we get the Super Bowl in a cold-weather city this year. Fun, fun, fun. :?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Tom,
Aren't you being a little hard on yourself on Luck? He hadn't topped 232 yards passing the last 3 weeks and thrown a grand total of ONE TD. I don't own him at all, but I feel like those numbers more than justify going with another QB if you had a legit option. I probably would have benched him but I'm the KING of watching a guy have a few bad weeks then sitting him for his blow up game (yes I'm talking to you Jordan Cameron)

TR

Post by TR » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
chriseibl wrote:I was offered tickets for really cheap tonight and just couldn't do it. Everytime I go to a Bears game in these conditions, I can't wait for that 45 minute walk outside the stadium to end so I can get home and never go outside again. The only upside is that your beer stays cold and the last drops are every bit as good as the first sip.

I'm just not a very tough fan.
Brokers were selling tickets at Lambeau this weekend for $30. There were plenty of no-shows. This weather is brutal to be live at the games, but television ratings for all three networks were way up yesterday, which shows that these games look good on TV but are nasty for the paying customers at the stadiums. And to think, we get the Super Bowl in a cold-weather city this year. Fun, fun, fun. :?
Would think all these cold weather cities with newer stadiums wanting to host SBs would at least be able to afford retractable roofs with all the revenue the NFL brings in...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:Tom,
Aren't you being a little hard on yourself on Luck? He hadn't topped 232 yards passing the last 3 weeks and thrown a grand total of ONE TD. I don't own him at all, but I feel like those numbers more than justify going with another QB if you had a legit option. I probably would have benched him but I'm the KING of watching a guy have a few bad weeks then sitting him for his blow up game (yes I'm talking to you Jordan Cameron)
I guess it comes down to me being such a strong Luck guy and telling everyone to start him all year long. Then the first week, the FIRST week, I tell everyone to bench him he goes off. I started him every week in the league I had him as my QB1 until yesterday. Just seemed like someone was punishing me for losing faith. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:11 pm

We benched Brady just one week this season. Care to guess which one? :cry:

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Alshon Jeffery - Yeah he's pretty good

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 pm

JETS SB wrote:Alshon Jeffery - Yeah he's pretty good
Still can't believe someone cut him a few weeks ago in the 12 team auction league. Almost as unbelievable is that the guy with the 3rd highest money remaining got him.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Unreal at how Gordon and Jeffery are STILL putting up 30 a game. I missed out on both these guys, seems like whoever has one (or both) will have a shot for some big money at this rate.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 am

I realize this isn't an easy decision for Trestman but I don't know how you go back to Cutler at this point. Cutler was playing well before he got hurt but he wasn't playing this well and he wasn't doing nearly as good of a job getting Jeffery going as McCown has. To me, that's the key for the Bears' offense. We know Marshall and Forte are studs and Bennett is a solid tight end, but Jeffery's emergence is their X factor. The guy who's gotten Jeffery more involved is McCown. With only three games left and the playoffs a very real possibility I'm not sure you want to mess around with that.

I think Trestman needs to sit down with his coaches today and really decide if going back to Cutler is the right thing to do, especially when you consider McCown isn't just playing well, he's playing at a superstar level. What Trestman could do is use the injury as an excuse to stick with McCown. That wouldn't be a bad move anyway considering the last time Cutler tried to return he was clearly not healthy and contributed to him playing poorly.

And yes, I acknowledge my inherent bias as a McCown owner who wants to keep starting him :) but I'm not the only one seeing this. Bears beat writers have written the same thing and that was before McCown had an even more sensational game last night.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich