QB points

ForLoveOfTheGame

Re: QB points

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 pm

All I know is QB scoring is high enough that if my QB gets hurt early or lays a horrible game (single digits) I lose at a 90%+ rate here. I get a 0 at RB, WR, TE, K or D every single week and still win pretty often. Definitely can't afford an injury/horrible week at QB here.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 pm

My main reason for suggesting a scoring change is like JP said, "the game has changed" since this rule over 10 years ago.

The NFFC has been a pioneer in making changes to the game....

1) When the RB's were dominating the fantasy landscape, they went to 3RR and KDS.

2) When they realized WR's were starting to dominate this format, they went to 1 full PPR for RB's.

For the record, I have drafted Drew Brees the last 2 years in the Classic and have won my league in points, so it isn't like I am someone who completely gambles on my QB, and "hopes" they put up big numbers. That being said, a "stud" QB can carry you a lot in the regular season, but I am not sure it is the right recipe in the "reset round".

Maybe my teams just don't produce in weeks 14-16, or I just can't get the right "combos", or maybe I just don't get this game!

I don't have a problem with people who have McCown (I do as well in a 4 pt contest) as they gambled a few weeks ago and it paid off. I completely disagree he was a gamble last night (especially seeing some of the other options), but McCown could be the guy we are talking about ala Drew Bennett 2004! Maybe it was the first week of the playoffs, maybe I am just ready for something new.......I just thought that maybe it may be time for a change as having one person accumulating 30%+ of someone's weekly total just seemed a but extreme.

Play on, and good luck! :D

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:54 pm

QB is the most important player on the field. Bad QBs lead to bad NFL teams, great QBs are perennial playoff contenders. No reason they shouldn't be critical in FF.

I had a dominant Classic team thru 7 weeks, over the next 5 weeks my QB scored 30 points ... total.

Twice my starter was injured in the first quarter and scored zero or less, once he was yanked at halftime for the backup, and the other two performances stunk. I was lucky to finish second in the league. Two weeks prior to this string of crap I had Foles on my team, but I dropped him after his one horrible performance with Vick due back soon. I tried to get him back the next week but another team put out a surprisingly huge bid. That team nearly beat me for a money position, if not for a decent final week. Lesson learned, make sure you have a good QB, in fact have several.

Still prefer passing TDs at 6.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Easily prefer 4 here. But easily prefer 1 point a TE catch too. Just have to try and deal with whatever rules are presented and try and play what I am most comfortable the most. And a big part of that factor is safety of money and getting paid if we win. Nobody safer than the NFFC, so I can live with the 6 if it has to be QB on crack scoring.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Billy you should have started Brady over McCowen, most would do the same. You are not going to sit your stud QB because a backup QB has been hot. In week eleven I started Peyton over Big Ben and never considered anything different (Ben scores 43 pts, Manning scores 21). That does not mean that 4 points would be a better measure anymore that when Calvin goes crazy that WRs should be 3 pts vs. 6pts for TDs.

Every year we get scoring change suggestions based on someones unfortunate experience. However saying that I think that we have done well over the years with the implementation of suggestions and they should keep coming. I just do not believe that there is a reason why we should change from 6 pts to 4 pts for the QB. It makes for some interesting drafts just as the 3RR does.

QB early or QB late, draft first or draft last.

I really would like to see however some conversation on 2 flex spots and 1 RB. The days of 2 RBs making a contribution are well behind us.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Even WITH TDs at 6 points per passing touchdown, the top QBs (aside from Peyton) don't really separate that much from the middle of the pack QBs in overall scoring. The difference between top RBs and middle of the pack RBs is much greater.

Josh McCown's 51 sounds like a lot... but the baseline for a poor performance yesterday, excluding Matt Stafford who had never seen snow, was about 19 or 20 points. Josh Gordon's 31 had almost as much of an impact because there were plenty of single digit poor receiver performances.

And even with 6 points per passing, you weren't seeing QBs in the first two rounds of a lot of your NFFC drafts until Peyton Manning went nuts vs. the Ravens.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 pm

RoadKing wrote:Billy you should have started Brady over McCowen, most would do the same. You are not going to sit your stud QB because a backup QB has been hot. In week eleven I started Peyton over Big Ben and never considered anything different (Ben scores 43 pts, Manning scores 21). That does not mean that 4 points would be a better measure anymore that when Calvin goes crazy that WRs should be 3 pts vs. 6pts for TDs.

Every year we get scoring change suggestions based on someones unfortunate experience. However saying that I think that we have done well over the years with the implementation of suggestions and they should keep coming. I just do not believe that there is a reason why we should change from 6 pts to 4 pts for the QB. It makes for some interesting drafts just as the 3RR does.

QB early or QB late, draft first or draft last.

I really would like to see however some conversation on 2 flex spots and 1 RB. The days of 2 RBs making a contribution are well behind us.
Roadking.....I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I only have McCown on one team (not NFFC) and I started him. This isn't about an unfortunate experience.....just a suggestion.

As for your suggestion, I would listen to that, and think it is worthy of discussion.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:10 pm

RoadKing wrote:I really would like to see however some conversation on 2 flex spots and 1 RB. The days of 2 RBs making a contribution are well behind us.
Having an extra flex takes some strategy away from the draft, as would reduced QB scoring.

The only thing I would like to see change would be for the starting QB to get team QB points for any game he starts, as was discussed early in the year.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Easily prefer 4 here. But easily prefer 1 point a TE catch too. Just have to try and deal with whatever rules are presented and try and play what I am most comfortable the most.

I agree Chad! WCOFF had the best scoring system IMHO. You can adjust rankings based on whatever the number is but the thing that 6 points does is it makes the standard deviation in the scoring at QB much greater than other positions. It just makes your results more random week to week. It all works at the same at the end of the day though.

Wayne

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 am

Billy, hard to mix you up with anyone else, LOL. Maybe I misread your roster situation and did not infer that you had a bad experience but as you are aware we do get some rule change decisions based on poor experiences.

NFFC is a 6 point QB league.