Cutline Championship - Why reset the Averages each week?

Jim Christie

Re: Cutline Championship - Why reset the Averages each week?

Post by Jim Christie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 am

The first sentence should read: "Why wasn't this question asked" not answered

xknsmithx

Post by xknsmithx » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:29 pm

moyer1313 wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
moyer1313 wrote:Just curious as to why, after using Total Points from Week 10 through Week 12 to make the first cut, we start resetting the Averages each week after the cuts?

Why not make all the cuts based on the Total Points accummulated from Week 10 to whatever Week we are in?

Thank you,
Mark
Follow Me
It's a valid question and the answer is that we are trying to create this more as a weekly survivor contest with more of a reset each week. Survive and be the best this week rather than be overly rewarded for past performances. Right or wrong, that was the thinking from the start and in Week 16 and any of the 12 survivors have a shot to win it all.
I was afriad that that would be the answer.

I understand selling tickets to have a chance to get lucky and advance each week with a Josh Gordan 53 point effort is easier than selling tickets to have a chance to have the better team over a 7 week period.

Unfortunately, I am much more likely to be the team that gets cut because a player gets concussed in the 1st quarter and have no chance to make up for the missed points.

Thank you, for the quick response,
Mark
Follow Me

I think the format works well, in fact, I think it's a great spin on a game that is already filled with uncertainty. Having a player get concussed in the 1st quarter has nothing to do with the setup of the league and would impact your team greatly that week and the following weeks regardless of what league you're in. Also, I think players "going off" and scoring 53 points is why we all play the game. But I digress...

The top two teams earned their way into the Championship round with the best two teams in that individual league. The next three teams in those leagues earned entry into the Wild Card. So 50% of the teams made the "playoffs" with 60% those teams one loss or bad week from elimination.

Simply because a team entered the playoffs as a Wild Card team doesn't mean that they are necessarily not as good as teams in the championship round, but simply that they were not the top two teams in their league. If you played in a league with a lower grade of competition then you might possibly find yourself as the top team, but in a league with veteran players you may barely make the playoffs or not at all. So the label of Championship and Wild Card don't necessarily equate to good/bad.

Ultimately I think in order to reward those players with better drafts, and dare I say it...luck, the Survivor aspect of this Cutline league works perfectly. There's reward for drafting a team that is better prepared for the second half of the season or just a better thought out bench strategy than others. The wild card teams do have a chance, albeit small, nonetheless there is a shot but why not reward teams for drafting smart, using the 3 FAAB periods to their advantage, and having some luck. Or...you can play at yahoo or espn and when a lesser team gets hot and eliminates you in the first round of the playoffs there will be a spot here at the NFFC for you again next year. :)

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Not a fan of this contest this week.

In every other contest you play until week 16 for consolation, in this one I was done after week 13. So of course I have Nick Foles, Jamaal Charles and Desean Jackson on this team.

186 points with Ant Brown and Nate Burleson left to go. Any other contest and this team's points count.