Kansas City Chiefs
No votes
San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints or San Francisco 49ers
4%

Total votes: 24

TR

Re: Who Is Going To Win The Super Bowl?

Post by TR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Speaking of the Packers...what's up with this tweet I came across?

Rachel Nichols ‏@Rachel__Nichols 9m

Something I never thought I'd read... RT @RobDemovsky: 11,000 tickets remain for Packers playoff game vs. 49ers

How is this possible in Green Bay??? No other teams there to compete with...wow!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:44 pm

TR wrote:Speaking of the Packers...what's up with this tweet I came across?

Something I never thought I'd read... RT @RobDemovsky: 11,000 tickets remain for Packers playoff game vs. 49ers

How is this possible in Green Bay??? No other teams there to compete with...wow!
This is amazing, but there are a couple of reasons for this:

1) The Packers made a mistake by telling all season ticket holders they had to buy two rounds of games by Dec. 3rd and there would be no refunds for any unused tickets. Instead, all of the money had to go toward your 2014 season tickets. Dec. 3rd was right after the Thanksgiving debacle and may people -- like myself -- chose not to give the Packers $650+ to hold onto. If they had offered a refund as an option before we had to pay for our season tickets in April, most people likely would have given it a go, but again they were 2 1/2 games out of first at that time and were an embarrassment on national TV against the hapless Lions.

2) The weather has been brutal here for 5 weeks and yesterday it was minus 16 degrees. Sunday is supposed to be a high of 11, snow and high winds. That's no excuse for all of us suddenly getting wimpy, but I'm telling you it's just wearing on folks to go outside. Folks seem content to watch this game on TV, myself included. I love Lambeau, but late Sunday afternoon is a rough one on those aluminum bleachers and most of my family members already made other plans for that day.

The Packers have a devoted season ticket base, but that base is getting older and they've held onto their tickets for many years. More and more of them are selling them for profits rather than going, which is why you see so many away fans in Lambeau with every game. Plus the addition of the new section added 7,000+ seats and you now have 80,000 seats, whereas 15 years ago capacity was just over 60,000. I worried about the expansion at the time even for regular season games and now it's coming to a perfect storm.

They will still sell out, but they shouldn't have alienated the season ticket base. I just got another email from them now asking me to buy game tickets. And after letting the dog outside to pee in minus 5 degree weather, I think I'll pass and just stay home. It's that brutal out.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TR

Post by TR » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
TR wrote:Speaking of the Packers...what's up with this tweet I came across?

This is amazing, but there are a couple of reasons for this:

1) The Packers made a mistake by telling all season ticket holders they had to buy two rounds of games by Dec. 3rd and there would be no refunds for any unused tickets. Instead, all of the money had to go toward your 2014 season tickets. Dec. 3rd was right after the Thanksgiving debacle and may people -- like myself -- chose not to give the Packers $650+ to hold onto. If they had offered a refund as an option before we had to pay for our season tickets in April, most people likely would have given it a go, but again they were 2 1/2 games out of first at that time and were an embarrassment on national TV against the hapless Lions.

2) The weather has been brutal here for 5 weeks and yesterday it was minus 16 degrees. Sunday is supposed to be a high of 11, snow and high winds. That's no excuse for all of us suddenly getting wimpy, but I'm telling you it's just wearing on folks to go outside. Folks seem content to watch this game on TV, myself included. I love Lambeau, but late Sunday afternoon is a rough one on those aluminum bleachers and most of my family members already made other plans for that day.

The Packers have a devoted season ticket base, but that base is getting older and they've held onto their tickets for many years. More and more of them are selling them for profits rather than going, which is why you see so many away fans in Lambeau with every game. Plus the addition of the new section added 7,000+ seats and you now have 80,000 seats, whereas 15 years ago capacity was just over 60,000. I worried about the expansion at the time even for regular season games and now it's coming to a perfect storm.

They will still sell out, but they shouldn't have alienated the season ticket base. I just got another email from them now asking me to buy game tickets. And after letting the dog outside to pee in minus 5 degree weather, I think I'll pass and just stay home. It's that brutal out.
That definitely sheds a new light on things...I had always heard about the long waiting list for packers season tickets so couldn't understand how they wouldn't sell out playoff game. I agree they should have offered u guys a refund option and can see how they alienated alot of their loyal season ticket base that way. I can't even imagine sitting on aluminum bleachers in -5 degree weather..that is beyond brutal...talk about an endurance contest 4 the fans! lol I would probably have to make the same choice...should definitely be an interesting game to watch..from the warm comforts of living room! :D

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 pm

mattjb wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
mattjb wrote:I actually like the Packers.

I think getting Rodgers and Cobb back plus a great running game gives them a boost at the right time.

I think they can beat San Fran at home and I think they would win in Carolina. That would probably leave a revenge game in Seattle...and obviously a cold weather Superbowl wouldn't faze them.

I'll take the Packers over the Broncos in New York.
That's bold. I'm guessing you haven't seen the Green Bay defense this season. ;)
I have. Just have to score 1 more...

They can score one more against teams like Chicago or Philly.

SF head and shoulders a better team and I think the gap between the two teams is even greater than last year's playoff game.
And this is coming from a die-hard packers fan.
I really hope that I'm wrong but I'm afraid the nines win 30-17 or even by a more lopsided score than that. Packers def has no answer to slow down kaep. Heck, they have no answer for half of the nfl. Better pray for some turnovers or that Rodgers plays the perfect game.
Maybe the long trip to Green Bay and the time change (although game is a late start anyways) coupled with the cold, the crowd, and some turnovers makes up for the difference in talent but I'm really worried all of those factors won't be enough to change the outcome.
You could see the packers coming together as a dangerous team during their Super Bowl run. I hate to say it but not seeing it at all with this team.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 am

Weather is definitely going to be a factor in the NFL playoffs this year, which makes it appropriate that the Super Bowl is going to be held outdoors in a cold-weather city. Philly could have snow and temperatures in the 20's. Cincy could have snow flurries and highs in the 30s. And in Green Bay, the high on Sunday will be 4 degrees and then it's going to get cold near game-time and just keep dropping. The high temperature on Monday in Green Bay will be MINUS 15 DEGREES!!! So by the end of that game temps will be below zero. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:29 am

San Fran will not win 3 straight road games and the super bowl. I don't see it happening. I personally think the Eagles and Panthers have a better chance of making it there. Broncos will win it all.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

Anything is possible and we all know upsets happen in the playoffs but I'm not getting the Philly love. Explosive offense but that is a very shaky defense. Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton tore them up in recent weeks and neither of those guys will be mistaken for a top-flight starting quarterback anytime soon.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am

JETS SB wrote:San Fran will not win 3 straight road games and the super bowl. I don't see it happening. I personally think the Eagles and Panthers have a better chance of making it there. Broncos will win it all.
If the Giants did it vs the best team in the past 25 years, then really anyone could in a field this open.