Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

renman

Re: Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by renman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 am

I haven't read the entire thread. I do see a Rivers debate going on. I have to say he is playing brilliant football. Absolutely brilliant. I have never really been a fan of his. I never liked his outbursts. I do not like the way he moves. I never liked his throwing motion. I have never had him on any of my fantasy teams. Having said that, he is playing brilliant football right now. With a banged up running games to boot. I do not have any recollection of him blaming others for his failures in the past but I could be wrong. I never tap into local media reports on him.

As I said, I have never been a huge fan, but have to admit he is playing absolutely sensational football now. I can't wait for Broncos vs Chargers.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:41 am

[

Week 1 - Arizona - they have a top notch pass defense as evidenced yesterday by Peyton torching them for nearly 500 yards and 4 TD's.

Week 2 - Seattle - very tough D.

Week 3 - Buffalo - Touch D against the run but definitely not the pass.

Week 4 - Jacksonville - what can I say?

Week 5 - NY Jets - even the Jets fans have to be embarrassed. That was just painful to watch.

I guess the fact that Rivers has had to navigate this brutally tough schedule, the likes of which has never before been seen by an nfl franchise, this must be the reason he should be the mvp this year......

I've probably hit my sarcasm limit for the day.... 8-) I"ll let it go now. He's a good QB having a slightly better year this year than last year. We'll see where he is a few weeks from now. Maybe he'll catch fire and this will become a good debate.

Wayne[/quote]

If you watched Peyton torch The Cardinals then you would know that they lost Peterson, Stanton and their best pass rusher. Cardinals had their 3rd QB in most of the game and hung in their. Cardinals win and have much more time of possession with a healthy Palmer and defense. I guess you have to watch Rivers play to appreciate what he is doing. That team is tough and I think will win the division over Denver. A Seattle vs. SD Super Bowl is my prediction. Rivers would have easily had 350 yards if the game wasn't over by 3rd quarter. Rivers accuracy and command of the team really stand out. Even under great pressure he is putting the ball spot on. I'm not trying to put him in the Hall of Fame I just feel he is playing the best ball of any QB right now.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 am

It's a guy named ColtsFan with a Colts avatar trying to say his QB is the MVP of the NFL. He's not watching the games, as his last post pointed out. He's simply trying to nitpick and go through box scores and find any stats he can to justify why Luck is playing better than Rivers this year.

As a non-biased Pats fan Rivers is obviously the MVP of the first quarter of the season.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 am

Coach JP wrote:It's a guy named ColtsFan with a Colts avatar trying to say his QB is the MVP of the NFL. He's not watching the games, as his last post pointed out. He's simply trying to nitpick and go through box scores and find any stats he can to justify why Luck is playing better than Rivers this year.

As a non-biased Pats fan Rivers is obviously the MVP of the first quarter of the season.
you can debate the rivers vs luck all season long but when you say " It's a guy named ColtsFan with a Colts avatar'' you kinda lose validity as wayne is very well respected fantasy player.

rivers is having a fantastic year 5 weeks into the season. luck as well. as for myself , luck has that special " it " that makes him a winner with a long successful future ahead. while rivers has a shot for mvp , he will need to beat denver a least once and not fall apart weeks 13-17 when he will face tougher teams with playoffs on the line.
Last edited by BLACKHAND on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 am

The MVP of this year will be Peyton Manning.
Write it down.
NFL fans should be grateful that we have had a chance to watch this player over the past 15 seasons. We may, or may not see a QB of this caliber again in our lifetime.

Rivers is better than some of the posts here have given him credit for, but until he wins some playoff games, he remains out of the elite category.

Luck may very well be the next Manning and I'm glad to have him on one of my teams this year. But we need another 5 years of seeing what he does before we can make that call.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:26 am

Coach JP wrote:It's a guy named ColtsFan with a Colts avatar trying to say his QB is the MVP of the NFL. He's not watching the games, as his last post pointed out. He's simply trying to nitpick and go through box scores and find any stats he can to justify why Luck is playing better than Rivers this year.

It's not "obvious". Murray has been sensational. Luck has been great. I could make a solid argument for any of them.

Wayne isn't "nitpicking". His points are valid. You "obvious"ly don't like them. Rivers was hot to start last year, too, but nobody talked about him for MVP at the beginning of last year.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:50 am

This thread is getting out of control. In no way is Rivers the best QB in the NFL. At this point, Luck is not the best QB in the NFL. Does he have the intangibles to get there. Sure, but some guys named Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees would have something to say about it.

My entire point on Rivers was to this point in the year, he was playing as good as anyone at his position and this includes Andrew Luck. Rivers has his team off to a 4-1 start and has looked extremely sharp in the process. He is leading a team that was 30th in the league in rushing and had their 3rd string RB starting. I could care less how his stats compare at this point to last year, etc, etc. There is not a "hands down" leader for MVP right now. D. Murray, Luck, and Rivers however, would all be i the conversation.

From a fantasy perspective, he is outperforming guys that were drafted many rounds ahead of him and returning excellent value to owners who waited on QB or were luck enough land him as a QB2. I just don't see anything negative about Rivers up to this point.
Go Big Red!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 pm

BLACKHAND wrote: you can debate the rivers vs luck all season long but when you say " It's a guy named ColtsFan with a Colts avatar'' you kinda lose validity as wayne is very well respected fantasy player.
Where did I say anything about his fantasy skills or his knowledge? I'm sure he's a hell of a person and a fantasy player but we aren't talking about that. His last post was very biased towards the Colts. I'm allowed to argue with the guy even if he's the president of the United States. :lol:

He completely dismissed the Cardinals secondary solely because Peyton Manning threw at will against them yesterday and he is acting like his performance vs the Jets yesterday wasn't a solid performance, just because they weren't passing up 21-0.

Meanwhile, he completely ignores Luck has faced one of the easiest schedules the first four weeks of the season. He faced a tougher opponent yesterday and it wasn't as easy for him as it has been.

Rivers is a very sound QB -- his W/L record and stats back that up. Credit is due for the way he's played this season. Luck will obviously be better long term and might even finish this year better, but no one is playing better football than Rivers at the QB position (save the obvious Peyton Manning).

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I think we ALL agree Rivers is playing great as he definitely is.

We just might not all agree that he is the mvp of the league this year. Is that fair to say???

And my thougts should not be discounted as biased just because of my moniker.

Personally, my mvp year to date would be Manning followed by Murray. But there's a lot of football left to be played. We'll see.

Wayne

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:41 pm

You're right Wayne, I am used to debating these kinds of things with less knowledgeable posters so I do apologize if I came off wrong. I need to remember where I am posting, you guys know your stuff.

I think top 5 right now has to be a Manning/Rivers/Luck/Murray/Wilson combo in no particular order.