$996

Coltsfan

Re: $996

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 pm

It kind of funny, but two of my teams that I spent over $900 on Gordon are doing very well. It has actually made me look very hard at the WW for guys that could be coming up as I have no shot at anybody that has a huge week. My roster is solid and very deep despite spending 950 on Gordon. Last week I added Charles Sims and Eric Ebron for a couple bucks apiece. In retrospect it might have been a bad move only because my starting WR's are Dez/Roddy/Andre Johnson/ and Maclin. I just might not need Gordon on this team. Still no regrets on my bids.

Wayne

TheReckoner

Post by TheReckoner » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:42 pm

With white and Johnson being ancient.. Not to mention white and maclin having injury troubles I don't think under the circumstances at the time that was a bad bid... Unless you went zero rb.

I had Riley cooper as my Wr3 at the time. With Watkins in my bench. 996 easily put on the line.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Coltsfan wrote:It kind of funny, but two of my teams that I spent over $900 on Gordon are doing very well. It has actually made me look very hard at the WW for guys that could be coming up as I have no shot at anybody that has a huge week. My roster is solid and very deep despite spending 950 on Gordon. Last week I added Charles Sims and Eric Ebron for a couple bucks apiece. In retrospect it might have been a bad move only because my starting WR's are Dez/Roddy/Andre Johnson/ and Maclin. I just might not need Gordon on this team. Still no regrets on my bids.

Wayne
You absolutely did the right thing given the information available on Gordon at the time. The only people who didn't were the ones who spent so much money that they limited their ability to make $1 moves. There have been plenty of good free agents this year but none really went for big bucks except for Forsett ($350-500 range after week 1). Mckinnon went for less than $100 in most leagues, Hillman went cheap in all my leagues after being demoted behind CJ Anderson early, LaFell was generally picked up for cheap before he blew up,

Makes me feel plenty justified for spending big money early on Forsett (or to be fair and include my misses, McGahee last year). You do not need big money to succeed in free agency, you just need to be active.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:28 am

Thought I would bump this back up as we just have to get through this weeks games and Gordon will be back. We will find out then if the investment was wise with good returns (say Warren Buffet level) or a waste of FA budget with no residual value (say Obama-phone level).
Wayne

You mean this ain't baseball?

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:56 am

Sorry - Nope - Still respectfully disagree -

Even if he blows up weeks 12 and 13 -

The idea of going with $0 money for the entire Free Agency period, in my opinion is ludicrous -

Not a single one of my teams has more than 9 guys remaining on the active roster that were actual "Draft" picks -

Re-read that again - and we are doing well -

Again, not to start a "Holy War" - but in my humble opinion spending all your FA money on a guy that will only be available to you for the last two weeks of reg season, and the Playoffs.... (If you get there) - is not good Fantasy business -

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am

That is interesting and very respectful. 8-)

I still guess it is up to the individual teams who are still in the hunt and have, what they (I) hope, is a locked in pickup going into the playoffs.

In the hunt and I have 13 of my original 20 left including 8 of my regulars starters still starting. Of my starters, only Victor Cruz and the SF defense/ST is no longer on my team.
Wayne

You mean this ain't baseball?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Coltsfan wrote: Last week I added Charles Sims and Eric Ebron for a couple bucks apiece.
Wayne
When you spent money on Eric Ebron, I hope you got some change back! :lol:

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm

wiljiro wrote:
Again, not to start a "Holy War" - but in my humble opinion spending all your FA money on a guy that will only be available to you for the last two weeks of reg season, and the Playoffs.... (If you get there) - is not good Fantasy business -

W

I would agree with this statement but the problem is that this statement doesn't represent where we were at with Josh Gordon.

I bought Gordon in 5 leagues between 950 - 983 and if it was over today I would be playoff bound in 3 of those leagues. But the point is, we did not know how long he was going to be out. He could have come back fairly soon or there were a lot of people saying 8 weeks. Nobody would spend all of their money on someone for a couple of games. We can all agree on that. We just didn't know Gordon's time frame when the first free agency period went through.

Wayne

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
wiljiro wrote:

W

I would agree with this statement but the problem is that this statement doesn't represent where we were at with Josh Gordon.

I bought Gordon in 5 leagues between 950 - 983 and if it was over today I would be playoff bound in 3 of those leagues. But the point is, we did not know how long he was going to be out. He could have come back fairly soon or there were a lot of people saying 8 weeks. Nobody would spend all of their money on someone for a couple of games. We can all agree on that. We just didn't know Gordon's time frame when the first free agency period went through.

Wayne
Not to mention the fact that it could still end up being the best use of your FA money given you've made it to the playoffs without him. I've also had plenty of leagues where Odell Beckham and Brandon LaFell only went for a couple bucks.

I very much believe that Wayne can do more with his $20 leftover than most players can do with their $1,000.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Ok Wayne - You appear to be a bit of a revered person on here - I apologize for now knowing you.... But I noticed on the standings that Coltsfan is 208 in Primetime - and I can't find any other teams in any of the other leagues that match your name -

What is your team name?

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!