TR wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:Great post CoMo!

Right now there isn't a clear cut choice for mvp. My candidates would be:

Brady
Manning
Luck
DeMarco
Antonio

It's funny but 5 weeks ago the news was that Brady is done and maybe it's time for the Pats to start playing Garapalo (I don't know the spelling yet....) Brady had a terrible start but he has been the best player by for the past 5 weeks. Murray is hands down carrying Dallas on his back. What a year! Antonio Brown is the best WR in football this year and it's not close. Manning is Manning which says a lot. Luck is incredible and the Colts are a bottom 10 team without him. While he's been great and his numbers are unreal, I do think Peyton and Brady are still playing at a higher level than him. But I can't wait to see what he has in store for us the next 10+ years. He will have plenty of mvp's before he is finished.

Wayne
Ben Roeth ahead of Luck and slightly over Brady now.
Nope. Don't see it. Two amazing games. But he has too many weapons around him and Brown will take votes away from him. Brown would have a better chance of winning, over Big Ben. He had a very average start to the season and unless he continues throwing for 6 TDs every week, then he wont win. Brady would probably win if the season ended today. But, if Luck starts setting records, which he is on a pace to, then he wins it.
Not sure how too many weapons would discredit a QB's MVP consideration...the weapons can be debated as well...Ben didn't really have a big red zone threat until Martavis Bryant was finally inserted into starting lineup...Brady had below average start to season until Gronk was healthy enough to take majority of snaps. If Ben continues to be unleashed he will deserve strong consideration over Brady..especially if Steelers win their division. Brady's Pats were picked by everyone to win that weak division...very few had Steelers winning what looks to be the toughest division in NFL. Luck may be setting records...but throwing alot more with higher INTs...lower passer rating. Also Luck is in much weaker division..not to mention Ben beat him head2head on the national stage..in RECORD fashion.

JETS SB

Re: Is Philip Rivers still the MVP?

Post by JETS SB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Passer rating means very little. John Elway and Johnny Unitas had below average passer ratings but were two of the greatest QBs ever. If the season ended today, Big Ben would not win MVP because he isn't the most valuable player in the NFL. Pretty simple. Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.... that's it, unless things change drastically. Brady has the advantage right now with his dominant performance against Manning. INTs are not a gauge of what makes a great QB, in my mind. The Colts don't have a running game at all. Everything depends on Luck.

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 am

JETS SB wrote:Passer rating means very little. John Elway and Johnny Unitas had below average passer ratings but were two of the greatest QBs ever. If the season ended today, Big Ben would not win MVP because he isn't the most valuable player in the NFL. Pretty simple. Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.... that's it, unless things change drastically. Brady has the advantage right now with his dominant performance against Manning. INTs are not a gauge of what makes a great QB, in my mind. The Colts don't have a running game at all. Everything depends on Luck.
Passer rating does seem to matter in terms of winning regular season MVP...no doubt Elway was 1 of the greatest QBs ever but he never won a regular season MVP. Ben is absolutely 1 of the most valuable players in the NFL and has the SB's to back himself as well. U can't discount INTs, but then give credit to QB throwing for all these records when he is getting alot more passing attempts than the guys he's competing with for MVP. Passer rating has to come into play.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 am

TR wrote:
JETS SB wrote:Passer rating means very little. John Elway and Johnny Unitas had below average passer ratings but were two of the greatest QBs ever. If the season ended today, Big Ben would not win MVP because he isn't the most valuable player in the NFL. Pretty simple. Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.... that's it, unless things change drastically. Brady has the advantage right now with his dominant performance against Manning. INTs are not a gauge of what makes a great QB, in my mind. The Colts don't have a running game at all. Everything depends on Luck.
Passer rating does seem to matter in terms of winning regular season MVP...no doubt Elway was 1 of the greatest QBs ever but he never won a regular season MVP. Ben is absolutely 1 of the most valuable players in the NFL and has the SB's to back himself as well. U can't discount INTs, but then give credit to QB throwing for all these records when he is getting alot more passing attempts than the guys he's competing with for MVP. Passer rating has to come into play.
Yes, Elway did win an MVP in 1987. Not sure what you are looking at. In addition, Unitas won 3 MVPs. Another "low passer rating" guy, Brett Favre won 3 MVPs. Once again, passer rating is a non-relevant stat. Ben won super bowls but didn't win a super bowl MVP and oh by the way, his "passer rating" in those super bowls was 69.9. He is not even the best player on his own team, let alone the MVP of the NFL.

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:07 am

JETS SB wrote:
TR wrote:
Yes, Elway did win an MVP in 1987. Not sure what you are looking at. In addition, Unitas won 3 MVPs. Another "low passer rating" guy, Brett Favre won 3 MVPs. Once again, passer rating is a non-relevant stat. Ben won super bowls but didn't win a super bowl MVP and oh by the way, his "passer rating" in those super bowls was 69.9. He is not even the best player on his own team, let alone the MVP of the NFL.
My mistake...yes Elway did win MVP in 87 with an 83.4 passer rating. However the rules were alot different back then as well..defenses were allowed to actually play so it is hard to compare to todays QB friendly league with the rules drastically changed to help them. Favre MVP seasons were also before the big rules changes and his passer rating was in the 90s in all 3 of them...which I'm sure was very high back then...equivalent of 100+ now. Super Bowl is 1 game...Ben was outstanding in the real SB at Indy his 1st SB year. If Ben is not the best player on his own team, how did he win SBs as in multiple before Antonio Brown? I'd have no problem with them getting CO MVP like Barry Sanders had to do with Favre his 2000 yard season, when everyone knew Barry should have won it...of course he wasn't a media darling like Favre. ;)

Rog

Post by Rog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:26 am

Brady (gronk) without him his numbers were shit this year
ben (antonio) man he is good. bryant was a ahealthy scratch for 4 games cause he couldnt beat out J brown as their number 5
luck (hilton/wayne) it really has to suck as a qb to have wayne in the slot
manning (sanders/thomas/thomas/) enough said
ryan (jones/white) I think i could throw a td with those 2
stafford (johnson/tate)

you really want to argue over who is the best qb right now
1 thing is for sure I can promise you not 1 of them QB's were drafted after Big Ben in any draft but yet he is the number three overall scoring qb in fantasy.
But all praise luck (dont get me wrong the man is good very good
the colts only ran the ball 4 times in the first half monday night, if I had them WR's I would throw as often as possible also
all those QB's are who we thought they were except for 1 BIG BEN

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:50 am

Rog wrote:Brady (gronk) without him his numbers were shit this year
ben (antonio) man he is good. bryant was a ahealthy scratch for 4 games cause he couldnt beat out J brown as their number 5
stafford (johnson/tate)

1 thing is for sure I can promise you not 1 of them QB's were drafted after Big Ben in any draft but yet he is the number three overall scoring qb in fantasy.
the colts only ran the ball 4 times in the first half monday night, if I had them WR's I would throw as often as possible also
U nailed it Rog...

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:13 am

TR wrote:
Rog wrote:Brady (gronk) without him his numbers were shit this year
stafford (johnson/tate)

U nailed it Rog...
No one is saying Big Ben was a bad fantasy pick. But once again, he has had 2 giant weeks. Nearly 1/2 of all of his fantasy points in 2 weeks and probably wasn't started by most of his fantasy owners up until week 9 (most did not start him in week 8). He was average up until week 8. He had 2 record weeks. Obviously if he continues at that pace, who knows. But, we started this thread because Rivers was the "MVP" everyone was talking about, with his hot start. Now, he is back to being the average QB we all know he is. This is all really silly since we are in week 10 and there are 5 guys that would be voted MVP ahead of Ben. Maybe that changes, but I just don't see him as an MVP candidate on that team.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am

[ Obviously if he continues at that pace, who knows. But, we started this thread because Rivers was the "MVP" everyone was talking about, with his hot start. Now, he is back to being the average QB we all know he is. This is all really silly since we are in week 10 and there are 5 guys that would be voted MVP ahead of Ben. Maybe that changes, but I just don't see him as an MVP candidate on that team.[/quote]

Rivers at the very least is a Top 7 QB and I don't understand how that can be construed as average. Average QBs are ranked 15 or worse for me. From what I can gather what is hurting Rivers the most is the lack of a downfield threat. I believe he has the least weapons of all the top guys. Gates is having a nice year but is old and Allen is looking pedestrian. Floyd is a big body but not much else. Defenses aren't respecting the deep ball.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 am

JETS SB wrote: No one is saying Big Ben was a bad fantasy pick. But once again, he has had 2 giant weeks. Nearly 1/2 of all of his fantasy points in 2 weeks and probably wasn't started by most of his fantasy owners up until week 9 (most did not start him in week 8). He was average up until week 8. He had 2 record weeks. Obviously if he continues at that pace, who knows. But, we started this thread because Rivers was the "MVP" everyone was talking about, with his hot start. Now, he is back to being the average QB we all know he is. This is all really silly since we are in week 10 and there are 5 guys that would be voted MVP ahead of Ben. Maybe that changes, but I just don't see him as an MVP candidate on that team.
Exactly. Six of the first seven weeks he didn't top 25 points. Through the first seven weeks of the year, the Colts were 2nd best at stopping fantasy QB's. He was not a must start week 8, and most people had him on their bench. Even against the Ravens you could make a legitimate case for benching him.

Roethlisberger was the TWENTY FOURTH best QB weeks 1-6 and put up a dud when most people put him into their lineups vs Jacksonville.

Odds are if you have Roethlisberger you didn't keep him in your lineup for weeks 8 and 9 unless you were desperate. Let's not pretend Ben is playing the best football of the year. He's playing the best football of the last two weeks. Guy wasn't even close to best QB for 77% of the year.