Another MVP

TR

Re: Another MVP

Post by TR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Yes, there is rushing and there is rushing...the Colts have used the RB's like Bradshaw out in the flats rather than between the tackles. Great for PPR and great for the Colts. Why bang it in there? Their "rushing" stats don't reflect the RB contributions.
Exactly....

TR

Post by TR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 am

CoMoHusker wrote:
Coach JP wrote:
TR wrote: Great points again...Rodgers has been far more efficient. And I keep hearing how Colts have no running game...15th in rushing offense at 4.0 per carry sounds like one to me!
4.0 yards per carry would still be bottom 3rd of the league. The Colts rank 25th in the NFL on Football Outsiders for rushing efficiency. Their red zone rushing game is atrocious. Say what you want about Luck, but they truly don't have a good run game.
I guess my point is the Patriots are averaging 3.6 YPC and have only scored three rushing TD's as a team all year. Yes, three. I just am sick of hearing how great of a year Luck is having especially since they have no running game. I'm not hearing that all in regards to Brady who clearly has an even more pedestrian rushing attack. Luck's running game is nothing to write home about but I don't think you can say they don't have one when the numbers show they are in the top half of the league.
Yep and with the rules heavily favoring passing games and protecting QBs more than ever..it's really not the detriment it may have been in the past to not have traditional ground n pound running game ...Luck throws alot of short passes to Bradshaw which is an extension of the run game anyways.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 am

Well, are we talking MVP or are we talking best players? I agree with both of you that Luck is overrated this year and they are kind of 'whoring' him out as evidenced by that Monday night game where they had 4 runs in the first half. As of today he's not in my top 3 QB's.

But, it's an MVP award. It's going to the guy with stats on a team that wins that doesn't get help elsewhere. If we were talking about VORP I'd be on your side :D

And yes, as a Pats fan I know how miserable their run game is. Which is definitely why Brady gets a boost as well.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:38 am

Personally, I think a case can be made for all 4 QBs as MVP at this point. All of them are the focus of their team, all are superstars, and all are putting up big numbers. I don't think the running game argument really matters. If you use the "we don't have a running game, so we have to pass" reasoning, then wouldn't that mean that the defenses are playing them to pass and will make it harder on the QBs? The best RB of the 4 teams is probably Eddy Lacy and he hasn't been all that impressive, though he had a nice TD on a screen pass last week.

The league has become a passing dominated league. Look at the Eagles. They have a superstar RB in McCoy and a mediocre QB and all they do is pass the ball.

One thing I will say.... there are a TON of good WRs in the NFL, after this latest crop of rookies has hit the scene. I think it will make the top RBs next year, even more valuable in drafts. Murray is the top pick, hands down, no?

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Time to updatet the weekly MVP watch. As good as Brady and the Patriots have have been lately, I think Rodgers has passed him in the MVP chase. The way that Rodgers is playing the position is just effortless. His numbers would be even more gaudy if they weren't putting up 50 burgers on opponents where he's hardly taking any menaningful 4th quarter snaps, if at all. Just imagine what his numbers would look like he if was chucking the ball up at the pace that Luck is.

I think both Luck and Peyton's MVP chances (through week 11) took a big hit. Peyton leading his team to just seven points against the Rams and looking extremely mediocre in a bad loss. Luck put up decent stats but continues to struggle leading his team to wins over quality opponents this year.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Murray
4. Manning
5. Luck
Go Big Red!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Agree 100% with that order.. Rodgers is on another level right now and it's his to lose. I'd lock him in now, can't see anyone slowing them down.

Sadly, though, won't be shocked if voters use the game in 2 weeks as a coin flip breaker.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

CoMoHusker wrote:Time to updatet the weekly MVP watch. As good as Brady and the Patriots have have been lately, I think Rodgers has passed him in the MVP chase. The way that Rodgers is playing the position is just effortless. His numbers would be even more gaudy if they weren't putting up 50 burgers on opponents where he's hardly taking any menaningful 4th quarter snaps, if at all. Just imagine what his numbers would look like he if was chucking the ball up at the pace that Luck is.

I think both Luck and Peyton's MVP chances (through week 11) took a big hit. Peyton leading his team to just seven points against the Rams and looking extremely mediocre in a bad loss. Luck put up decent stats but continues to struggle leading his team to wins over quality opponents this year.

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Murray
4. Manning
5. Luck
I agree Rodgers has to be the frontrunner right now.

Updated odds from Bovada are interesting...

NFL MVP - Odds to Win
12:29p

Aaron Rodgers (GB) QB

1/1

Peyton Manning (DEN) QB

4/1

J.J. Watt (HOU)

6/1

Tom Brady (NE) QB

7/1

Andrew Luck (IND) QB

9/1

Demarco Murray (DAL) RB

10/1

JJ Watt jumped back in the mix...if he keeps scoring TDS and making impact plays while Texans winning...I can definitely see him moving up the list. Texans are only game behind the Colts with a game left at Indy...if they win that game, they could win that division..

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

JJ Watt is a dominant force but there is no way he should have better odds at winning than Brady. Brady is the QB of the best team in the league and has lead his team back from being labeled completely out of championship contention by so many. He's played pretty damn good football during that stretch too. The Texans would have to make quite the run and win the division for that to come close to even changing.
Go Big Red!

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 pm

One thing I will say.... there are a TON of good WRs in the NFL, after this latest crop of rookies has hit the scene. I think it will make the top RBs next year, even more valuable in drafts. Murray is the top pick, hands down, no?[/quote]

I think I would still take Charles or Forte higher. In know Forte turns 30 but he can do it again. McCoy should rebound next year. Murray just scares me with the injuries. Where will AP rank next year as well? Wrs are a plenty for sure after this years draft. Beckham looks a lot like Antonio Brown.

TR

Post by TR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:47 am

JETS SB wrote:Personally, I think a case can be made for all 4 QBs as MVP at this point. All of them are the focus of their team, all are superstars, and all are putting up big numbers. I don't think the running game argument really matters. If you use the "we don't have a running game, so we have to pass" reasoning, then wouldn't that mean that the defenses are playing them to pass and will make it harder on the QBs? The best RB of the 4 teams is probably Eddy Lacy and he hasn't been all that impressive, though he had a nice TD on a screen pass last week.

The league has become a passing dominated league. Look at the Eagles. They have a superstar RB in McCoy and a mediocre QB and all they do is pass the ball.

One thing I will say.... there are a TON of good WRs in the NFL, after this latest crop of rookies has hit the scene. I think it will make the top RBs next year, even more valuable in drafts. Murray is the top pick, hands down, no?
I wouldn't say hands down...I'd take Leveon Bell