Josh Gordon in retrospect

wiljiro

Re: Josh Gordon in retrospect

Post by wiljiro » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:27 am

My question still remains the same as it was during the first FAAB week of the season -

Would you put $998 on Josh basically eliminating your Free Agency ability for the entire season, knowing what you know now - Josh for weeks 12-15 -

That's the question I find most interesting -

I would have taken him anywhere after round 8 - and would have put 600 to get him -

Wiljiro
Magic Man
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 am

So if we know that there is a 75% bust rate of 7th and 8th round players, then taking a player that could be a huge differnce maker the last 5 weeks would not be a good move in the 7th or 8th round?

Tom Yates is undefeated in the FFWC main this year AND he has Josh Gordon on his roster. What was already an awesome team now is unbelievable.

Here's how I did with Gordon this year:

FFWC Main - 11th round and will know Sunday if I made playoffs.

FFPC High Society - 7th round pick - On this team we started AP, Cruz in the 4th, Reed in the 5th, and Gordon in the 7th. We have a good chance at the number 2 seed and $10,000 regular season prize.

Off the Grid - Gordon on the waiver wire for 983. This is my worst team of the year. Missed everywhere with guys like Montee Ball, wright, Hunter, Jordan Cameron. I don't know that extra WW money would have helped but it might of.

$750 private vegas auction - loaded league with many top players. I took Gordon in the auction and ended up first place and just entered the playoffs. My starters this week are Brees, Foster, Ellington, CJ Anderson, Cobb, Maclin, Gordon. Great team and holding Gordon did not hurt at all. I still have Mason and Keenan Allen on my bench with no room to start them.

Kentucy Main - drafted in Gordon in the 7th. First place in the league and going into playoffs with Julio, Brandon, Gordon, Matthews, and Martavis at WR and solid depth everywhere else.

FBG - picked up Gordon for $950. Made the playoffs and lost a close on last week. This team was loaded and I hated losing because it had a chance to be special. My WR's were Dez/Maclin/Gordon/Roddy with Andre on the bench. It even had Demarco. Bummer...:)

FBG - Picked up Gordon for 900 something. Another playoff team that lost last week. This team was not special but it was good enough to make the playoffs with Gordon on the bench all year. And I still picked up Tre Mason, John Brown, and Montee Ball on the WW. Julius Thomas killed me by not playing last week and getting a 1 out of Tamme.

So those are my Josh Gordon teams this year. Playoffs in 5/7 for sure and very possibly 6/7 leagues. I just got a little unlucky in the playoffs in a couple of these leagues. One league I lost by 12 but my opponent put up 33 more points than I did at PK and Def.

Looking back I would do it all over again the exact same way. At to wiljiro question, would I spend $998? Absolutley not but I would spend the vast majority for a difference maker and I would probably take him much earlier than most. But I don't mind losting. I just want that special team at the end of the year. Gordon could still flame out this year and be ordinary. But he has a chance of completely going off and winning some championships for teams that took a chance on him.

Wayne

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 am

Ok - Wayne - but it seems you just helped my point -

All the teams you bid 900+ did NOT cash in, correct?

The only ones it worked out with were the ones you took Gordon as a draft pick - I never really argued that point - taking him anywhere after 7th round is sound thinking - like you said - there were plenty of Danny Amendolas and Woodheads and Jordan Reeds floating around that area - Why not take a flyer.....

On a side note.... I'm a mess.... I have about 20K on the line in various leagues tomorrow - In one in particular, I could win it or NOT cash in at all - crazy time of year - "I'm a veg Danny"......

Wiljiro
Magic Man
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Coltsfan wrote:FFWC Main - 11th round and will know Sunday if I made playoffs.
Appears like you are doing well in these leagues because you drafted well. Nothing to do with where you picked Josh Gordon. Wayne, you are a very skilled player. The point was, if you are going to take a player who might only play 1 week of your season, he is not worth picking prior to filling out the rest of your starting skill players. Congrats on doing so well in your leagues. Josh Gordon didn't help you get there. I am sure you had several picks in the late rounds that helped.

TR

Post by TR » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 pm

wiljiro wrote:My question still remains the same as it was during the first FAAB week of the season -

Would you put $998 on Josh basically eliminating your Free Agency ability for the entire season, knowing what you know now - Josh for weeks 12-15 -

That's the question I find most interesting -

I would have taken him anywhere after round 8 - and would have put 600 to get him -

Wiljiro
Magic Man
NO WAY...$998 far too much.

TheReckoner

Post by TheReckoner » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I spent $996 in New York super and I'm in a relatively good spot to make the playoffs Sunday. Would I spend 996 knowing he's out till week 12.. Absolutely not. I would have prob spent in the 500's.. But the person I am battling for a playoff spot bid about 700. So in the end... We will see Sunday if 996 was foolish.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 pm

wiljiro wrote:Ok - Wayne - but it seems you just helped my point -

All the teams you bid 900+ did NOT cash in, correct?

The only ones it worked out with were the ones you took Gordon as a draft pick - I never really argued that point - taking him anywhere after 7th round is sound thinking - like you said - there were plenty of Danny Amendolas and Woodheads and Jordan Reeds floating around that area - Why not take a flyer.....

On a side note.... I'm a mess.... I have about 20K on the line in various leagues tomorrow - In one in particular, I could win it or NOT cash in at all - crazy time of year - "I'm a veg Danny"......

Wiljiro
Magic Man

I picked him up on waivers in 3 leagues for over 900 each time and made the playoffs in two of them. I drafted him in 4 leagues and made the playoffs in at least 3. I'll know more tomorrow. So the point is that with the miss rate being so high for 7th and 8th round picks, how can Gordon be a bad pick there? And if you draft a solid team AND get your backups then why not spend your waiver dollars on a guy with Gordon's upside for late in the year?

Good luck this weekend Wiljiro! That's a lot of loot riding on one day!

Wayne

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:51 am

Coltsfan wrote:I have a Josh Gordon question. If you were drafting for the primetime main event and you knew for sure that Josh Gordon was going to miss the first 11 weeks and you also knew for sure he was coming back week 12 and scoring 20 points, but you don't know what happens after week 12, where would you draft him? Round 3, Round 8, Round 15??? Where would you take him?

Wayne
To get back to the original question, I'd gladly take him in the 8th round. By Round 8, I'd probably already have the core of my team (QB!, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1). That leaves Gordon as my WR4. I can easily fill in my team around the anticipation for his return. The thing is, he wouldn't be there in the 8th round under this scenario. Too many aggressive drafters in the NFFC.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 am

BigBlueNation wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:I have a Josh Gordon question. If you were drafting for the primetime main event and you knew for sure that Josh Gordon was going to miss the first 11 weeks and you also knew for sure he was coming back week 12 and scoring 20 points, but you don't know what happens after week 12, where would you draft him? Round 3, Round 8, Round 15??? Where would you take him?

Wayne
To get back to the original question, I'd gladly take him in the 8th round. By Round 8, I'd probably already have the core of my team (QB!, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1). That leaves Gordon as my WR4. I can easily fill in my team around the anticipation for his return. The thing is, he wouldn't be there in the 8th round under this scenario. Too many aggressive drafters in the NFFC.

That's exactly right Bill! If you're in a league with guys like Jack Haan or Glenn Lowy, you won't even get close to getting Gordon in the 8th. He would be long gone. Those guys are two of the most aggressive drafters I know. They don't seemed to worry about what they are missing out on in order to add a huge talented guy for the last third of the year.

Wayne

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:30 pm

I have zero shares of Gordon and thought he'd be a WR2 this year when he came back, but I'll admit I'm a believer now.

7 catches/75 yards against a great defense with a horrendous QB performance. This guy is a legit WR1 stud.