Week 5 Thoughts and Observations

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 am

One thing I forgot to add is there's a lesson to be learned from Frank Gore and Ben Roethlisberger the last two weeks. And that is you play your top guys if they play. There's a reason why Gore is a top RB and Roethlisberger a top QB. Unless you're stacked at one of those positions, chances are you're depending on those guys to deliver. As we saw the last two weeks, they can deliver even when things don't always look great for one reason or another.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 am

This is truly a feast or famine year for drafting.
If you don't have a combo of the top 15-20 players you're most likely waaaaaay behind after 5 weeks.
There is such a canyon between the haves and the have nots to date.
Remember on draft day when we said "we can wait on a QB or TE or whatever.
There are 10 ppg seperating the top QB and QB6.....that's unprecedented.
WR6 is averaging 20.6 ppg and still losing 10 ppg to WR1 :eek: Most years 20 ppg are a lock to lead the league at WR.
These 2 positions alone are turning the fantasy world upside down.
I'm certain things will settle down a bit but it is a very weird year so far to say the least.
I have enjoyed the football though even if FF has me reeling a bit.
Bills at 4-1 Eagles 1-4.
Lions unbeaten..my Colts winless. Early season parity has struck for sure but in the end we're still prob looking at GB/NO and NE/Balt fighting it out for the right to play in Indy. Who knows maybe by week 13 fantasy will have returned to a bit of normalcy.
Weird or not this season has kept my attention.

[ October 10, 2011, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
This years NFFC champions will be those who won the war of attrition and avoided the epic team killing landmines... ie, the most skillful [/QUOTE]:D :D

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:26 am

Fitzgerald not getting the ball continues to be one of the most baffling things of the 2011 FFB season.

Teams like Detroit and Houston somehow manage to get their stud WR's the ball without the presence of another elite receiving option on the team. It should be on the coach/coordinator to find a way to make this happen and on Kolb to deliver when the opportunites are there.

I know we are only five games in but the Cardinals put up a ton of money for an unproven commodity and so far, Kolb is not performing to the level of expectations.
Go Big Red!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 am

Tom, great job as always. However, you missed the most important observation of the week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEMXPRiaFRs

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
One thing I forgot to add is there's a lesson to be learned from Frank Gore and Ben Roethlisberger the last two weeks. And that is you play your top guys if they play. There's a reason why Gore is a top RB and Roethlisberger a top QB. Unless you're stacked at one of those positions, chances are you're depending on those guys to deliver. As we saw the last two weeks, they can deliver even when things don't always look great for one reason or another. This is a lesson that has bit me hard the last 2 weeks. I blame a lot of it on the media (I'm kidding, as it is ultimately my decision) as I get so tired of hearing "he is in such pain, it is going to be difficult for them to play effectively, they may only play a limited amount, I can't believe they are going to try and play, etc.". They said that about Knowshon Moreno before week 3, and he never saw the field (same with Ben Tate yesterday).

I guess it is all about the toughness of the player like Tom said. If filtering through the coaches BS wasn't enough, now we have to determine how severe the injury is, and how tough that player is as well.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 am

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:

Teams like Detroit and Houston somehow manage to get their stud WR's the ball without the presence of another elite receiving option on the team. It should be on the coach/coordinator to find a way to make this happen and on Kolb to deliver when the opportunites are there. I agree. There's a "We give up" mentality that envelopes the Cardinals when teams are doubling Fitzgerald. It's truly baffling. Some of this is on Kolb, who simply needs to trust that Fitzgerald can beat coverage and make plays. But some of it is also on the coaching staff for not devising ways to get Fitzgerald the ball.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Tom, great job as always. However, you missed the most important observation of the week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEMXPRiaFRs Oops, wrong link. Try this one instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShuIHhITZ0

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 am

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEMXPRiaFRs Oops, wrong link. Try this one instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShuIHhITZ0
[/QUOTE]Yeah, talk about some RBs coming out of nowhere. Battle was one. Dwyer was another. I kept waiting for Alex Green to score last night to make it a trifecta.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:10 am

quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
Tom, I'm doing everything I can to keep tonight's game at an absolute fantasy minimum. My anti mojo spells are brewing as we speak. See:Monday Night Needs thread. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEe0UBaIQg [/QUOTE]This is one of those times when "LOL" is a perfect reply. Good one!

LOL
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."