Fun Draft Day Facts

Greg Ambrosius

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
Holy thread hi-jacks...

Hey Greg, delete this thread and start over Agreed. This thread went in every direction other than the one I wanted it to go in!! :D I'll provide some fun facts later to get this back on track, but first I need to follow a different path. Stay tuned.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 am

Originally posted by nostradamross:
good move fantasy jungle. think a pick is a pick when its for that kind of money. giving the player another team was a great remedy. there was a little drama at vegas league 3's draft that i will go into when i get home. i think we need a rule implemented. I can preview this one. Richard was in Las Vegas 3 on Saturday, which set a new NFFC record by finishing in 1 hour, 50 minutes, INCLUDING the 15-minute break. Rex Weddle was the facilitator and he's the best as he always keeps things moving. His group set the NFBC record this March for quickest time as well.

This league was moving quickly and each owner was prepared and ready to go. In the 8th round, one owner apparently said "Anthony Thomas" and then quickly said, "No, I want Wes Welker." Rex didn't announce the pick, and he quickly stopped the draft to confer with me. He said he never announced the pick, but that other owners heard the first player blurted out. I ruled that since the pick wasn't officially announced that the team could have the full time to take the player he wanted. He chose Welker.

Apparently it happened again later in the draft, where another owner said a player's name and then said they wanted someone else. Again, Rex never announced the name and he gave that team the player they wanted without conferring with me.

On Sunday in the Ultimate League, one team would ask if a certain player was available and when Brady was getting ready to announce that player, the owner would ask if another player was available and then another one. Then he'd make his pick. It was interesting, but again he didn't officially announce his pick right away.

Richard is right that our rules should state what officially constitutes a pick. My feeling is that when the facilitator announces the pick, it's official. In the live draft format, it's easy to get the right Steve Smith on the board or the right Adrian Peterson. Or if you mispronounce a name, we make sure you get the right player. In this case, I saw no reason to prevent the owner from getting the right player he wanted with that pick as he had the full minute to do so. It was a 1-second interval and Rex was right there to get it right.

We rely on our facilitators to keep the drafts moving while still allowing our owners the freedom to get the players they want. LV3 had a GREAT group of owners who were prepared and ready for every pick. And now they will compete for a tough league prize. It was all good.

But if I wanted Welker in that league, I can understand the dispute.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ultimatefs

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:59 am

Greg, fwiw, the right thing was done.

If you want a rule..... Once the sticker is posted, it's done.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

kjduke

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by kjduke » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 am

Delete the thread? Hey, I thought it was a fun fact, sue me. :D We've gone too long without a controversy to fire up the post count anyway, and even better for Greg he's got nothing to do with this one.

Just to clarify the situation, I caught the mistake, I then drafted Smith and asked the commish to pause, and I offered him back but the commish said no. I think fixing it would have been the easier thing to do, but I assume that the Jungle guys had probably determined how such a case would be handled in advance and/or did not want to set a precedent of changing out players.

With $50k on the line, I can understand their decision. As Greg knows too, sometimes you've got to make a tough decision and then just stick with it. So, while it's not what I would have done, I think it was handled well, as I would expect from the Jungle. Like the NFFC, this is a well-run operation by guys who understand the players point-of-view and provide great customer service.

[ September 05, 2007, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

ToddZ

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by ToddZ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 am

And for the record, the owner would have understood and not complained if the ruling were to stick with Alexander.
"No one cares about your team but you."

skipman

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by skipman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:40 pm

KJ,

I can't believe you picked Steve Smith when there were certainly plenty of quality Steelers on the board.

dcc1973

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by dcc1973 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
On a related note, has there ever been a year with so many identical names? You've got:

(1) Adrian Peterson, MIN and Adrian Peterson, CHI

(2) Steve Smith, CAR and Steve Smith, NYG

(3) Chris Brown, TEN and Kris Brown, HOU

I believe we also broke the record for Most RB/WR With The Last Name Jones:

(1) Brandon Jones
(2) Greg Jones
(3) Jacoby Jones
(4) James Jones
(5) Julius Jones
(6) Kevin Jones
(7) Matt Jones
(8) Thomas Jones
Honorable mention: Maurice Jones-Drew And you didn't even mention Chris Henry RB TEN and Chris Henry WR CIN

King of Queens

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Originally posted by David Comings:
And you didn't even mention Chris Henry RB TEN and Chris Henry WR CIN Damn! I knew I was forgetting someone! Thanks DC.

richieprimo

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by richieprimo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:36 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by David Comings:
And you didn't even mention Chris Henry RB TEN and Chris Henry WR CIN Damn! I knew I was forgetting someone! Thanks DC. [/QUOTE]Is Alex Smith the TE still around? :D
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

Inf4life

Fun Draft Day Facts

Post by Inf4life » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Originally posted by Primo:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by David Comings:
And you didn't even mention Chris Henry RB TEN and Chris Henry WR CIN Damn! I knew I was forgetting someone! Thanks DC. [/QUOTE]Is Alex Smith the TE still around? :D
[/QUOTE]He is still playing for Tampa Bay
2007 NFFC Classic Champion