Skill vs. Luck

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 pm

I just registered today GG and was all set last year, but went to Vero Beach instead. I am leaving my local after 15 years and many tarnished relationships. Seems peoples egos and arrogance(yes mine) wear on people after time as well, LOL! Am set to go to Chicago for our first NFBC.

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:27 pm

1 strikeout would be just flat out wrong! How much sleep did you lose over that Shawn?

Gordon Gekko

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:29 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
I just registered today GG and was all set last year, but went to Vero Beach instead. I am leaving my local after 15 years and many tarnished relationships. Seems peoples egos and arrogance(yes mine) wear on people after time as well, LOL! Am set to go to Chicago for our first NFBC. sounds good. there are a lot of good people in the nfbc and i'm sure you'll have fun. good to have u on board
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks Gekko!
I will probably be in over my head in year 1, but hopefully we can compete and not get killed. Locals are nothing like the big time as you already know I am sure.

CC's Desperados

Skill vs. Luck

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
quote:Originally posted by Hard heads:
Ok let me rephrase then as a talented owner as yourself then GG, what would you be more proud of in a local or highstakes, 3 straight Football titles or 2 Baseball and 1 second? Not as a financial gain proud, but a sense of accomplishment proud? I will answer for him. He would more proud of winning the overall baseball title than overall football because no one thought he could. [/QUOTE]shawn: do you think i'll add the baseball trophy to my collection? be honest.
[/QUOTE]I think if I'm lucky enough to make it to the championship round in football, I might get lucky and win. The game would be on next year in baseball.

I think you could win for sure. But I know it is tough to get yourself back in that position in September. You have 5 months to get ready. Good Luck!!

CC's Desperados

Skill vs. Luck

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks guys I feel better about missing out on my 3-Peat by 1SB and .003 in whip, :mad: my advice: get out of your local leagues and get into the big money leagues (NFBC). think about it, if you are pumping in hundreds of hours (maybe thousands), why do it for a couple hundred bucks or worse yet, having the commish not pay out.

the nfbc offers good prizes and always pays out.
[/QUOTE]I agree. I retired from my home leagues two years ago.

Greg Ambrosius

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Ok let me rephrase then as a talented owner as yourself then GG, what would you be more proud of in a local or highstakes, 3 straight Football titles or 2 Baseball and 1 second? Not as a financial gain proud, but a sense of accomplishment proud? I will answer for him. He would more proud of winning the overall baseball title than overall football because no one thought he could. [/QUOTE]currently mr childs is the most feared fantasy player in the world. one day, perhaps i'll be fortunate enough to be spoken in the same sentence as him :D
[/QUOTE]If you thought Shawn was tough in baseball before, watch out this year. He's joining me and Rick Thomas for an early scouting trip in the Arizona Fall League at Shandler's Symposium. Three days of scouting the top prospects, drinking with me and even checking out the ASU campus!! :D RT and Shawn will be tough to beat in 2008 and I'll have plenty of Corona's on both of them in two more weeks!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
If you thought Shawn was tough in baseball before, watch out this year. He's joining me and Rick Thomas for an early scouting trip in the Arizona Fall League at Shandler's Symposium. Three days of scouting the top prospects, drinking with me and even checking out the ASU campus!! :D RT and Shawn will be tough to beat in 2008 and I'll have plenty of Corona's on both of them in two more weeks!! :D :mad: :mad: :mad:

i can only hope that mr childs and mr thomas will place too much weight on what they personally see in the Arizona Fall League
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Ok let me rephrase then as a talented owner as yourself then GG, what would you be more proud of in a local or highstakes, 3 straight Football titles or 2 Baseball and 1 second? Not as a financial gain proud, but a sense of accomplishment proud? I will answer for him. He would more proud of winning the overall baseball title than overall football because no one thought he could. [/QUOTE]shawn: do you think i'll add the baseball trophy to my collection? be honest.
[/QUOTE]You've won league titles in the NFBC and NFFC and finished in the Top 10 overall in both sports during the first four seasons of each event. Not many folks can say they've done that. Now it will be interesting to see if any individual can win the overall title in both sports, and obviously anyone who won the WCOFF overall and the NFBC would count as well. It's going to be tough to do, but someone who does that will be nationally known for a long, long time.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CC's Desperados

Skill vs. Luck

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:40 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
1 strikeout would be just flat out wrong! How much sleep did you lose over that Shawn? If I didn't win other events, it would have hurt more. I can still see Rich Harden pitching against a AAA line-up the last day of the year and can't get 4 K's.

Hitters AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
M. Izturis, SS 5 1 2 1 1 0 1 .293
R. Willits, CF 3 1 1 0 2 1 0 .267
T. Salmon, DH 4 1 0 0 1 0 5 .265
A. Kennedy, 2B 3 1 1 1 2 1 0 .273
R. Quinlan, 3B-LF 5 1 2 2 0 0 5 .321
K. Morales, 1B 3 1 0 1 1 0 1 .234
C. Pride, LF 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 .222
D. McPherson, 3B 3 1 1 1 0 1 0 .261
J. Mathis, C 5 2 3 3 0 2 0 .145
T. Murphy, RF 4 0 1 0 1 1 1 .229

He had a 5-0 lead in the bottom of the 3rd.

This is the play by play.

Pitching: Rich Harden
Hiram Bocachica moves to center field. Dan Johnson moves to first base. Jeremy Brown moves to designated hitter. Jay Payton moves to right field. Nick Swisher moves to left field.
Robb Quinlan: Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Foul, Robb Quinlan grounds out to second baseman
Kendry Morales: Ball, Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Kendry Morales walks
Curtis Pride: Foul, Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Curtis Pride walks, Kendry Morales to second
Jeff Mathis: Ball, Ball, Jeff Mathis hits 3-run home run to left-center field, Kendry Morales scores, Curtis Pride scores
Tommy Murphy: Ball, Foul, Tommy Murphy grounds out to pitcher
Maicer Izturis: Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Maicer Izturis walks
Brad Halsey in for Rich Harden.

I swear he had Pride struck out on a check swing when the count was 0-2!!

OK, I guess I still can't sleep!!