Is A Suspension Coming For Ezekiel Elliott?

Greg Ambrosius

Is A Suspension Coming For Ezekiel Elliott?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:37 am

John Hansen and Adam Caplan returned for their 14th season of fantasy football talk on SiriusXM Radio this Monday with a bang. First they brought on ESPN insider Adam Schefter for some NFL news and fantasy talk. Then Schefter dropped a bombshell when he discussed the feeling that a suspension could be awaiting Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott, who just so happens to be the third player being drafted in NFFC leagues these days. Here's more:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iscipline/

Schefter is quoted as saying: “[T]his is a situation that has gone back and forth so many times,” ESPN’s Adam Schefter recently said during an appearance on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio, via SportingNews.com. “I’ve spoken to some people within the league who, during the course of the offseason, got a sense that some form of discipline could happen. And then I spoke to somebody last week and they’re like, ‘Yeah, I don’t think anything is going to happen here.’ And then a decision that many people thought would come before the start of the the July Fourth weekend on Friday when the NFL usually makes a lot of decisions, hands down some news, I was told that was being pushed back.

“Now why is that being pushed back? Was it being pushed back, actually? Maybe it wasn’t even. But I was told there wasn’t going to be an answer here for a little while, that there was more information. There have been more meetings between either Zeke’s people and the league, or the NFLPA and the league, or whoever. It’s just been an ongoing issue that has had no conclusion. And so, if you’re drafting [fantasy football players] today, it’s hard to say, ‘Well, nothing’s going to happen there.’

“Nothing may well happen there, but something could happen there. We just don’t know right now. It’s just sort of out there.”

That's a big one and last night in the NFFC Cutline Championship Elliott fell to 4th with Antonio Brown going 3rd overall. Is it a safer option to take Brown over Elliott? Maybe, but even if Elliott is suspended a game or two he has to remain in the Top 5, right?

Not so quick everyone. Last night, Tom and I had Rotoworld's Evan Silva on the air and he currently has Elliott ranked 7th in his Top 150. He explained to us last night that he believes the loss of two starters on the offensive line and the potential suspension makes him leary of taking Elliott with a Top 5 pick. Elliott hasn't gone lower than 4th in over 40 NFFC drafts to date, so this was surprising.

Anyway, let's hear from the NFFC folks. Is anyone else worried about a potential suspension for Elliott before the 2017 season? If so, how far are you willing to drop Elliott on your draft boards? Inquiring minds want to know, so let's hear from ya. Thanks all and good luck navigating these choppy waters.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

AlanSeslowsky

Re: Is A Suspension Coming For Ezekiel Elliott?

Post by AlanSeslowsky » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:07 pm

I'd still take him at 3. You arent taking a zero there. just find a replacement for the 3 games he is out.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 pm

It's the same thinking that went into where to draft Bell last season. Teams that passed on him missed out on a true stud once he returned. Elliott is in a similar level in my opinion. Like Alan says, ensure you have RB depth to cover any missed games and then enjoy the studly production once Zeke returns.

As I said on our Sirius show last night the lowest I'd drop him is fourth I can see taking Brown at three since he also is a stud who, barring injury, would play the entire season. But there's no way I'm letting Elliott fall any further than fourth. I'll make sure I draft a team I believe will be strong enough to withstand his absence and then plug in the greatness when he returns.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Despite Elliott's "studly greatness" :lol: , a 6-game suspension would result in [[Game Over]] for owners taking him with a Top 4 pick.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:08 pm

I'd be shocked if Elliott was suspended for six games.

Greg Hardy got four for trying to kill someone.

I think it's two games max for Elliott if there is a suspension.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:I'd be shocked if Elliott was suspended for six games.

Greg Hardy got four for trying to kill someone.

I think it's two games max for Elliott if there is a suspension.
Roethlisberger got 6 games (reduced to 4) with no criminal conviction. This was in 2010 -- years before Ray Rice elevator videos were a thing on TMZ.

Important point to remember: anything is possible with judge, jury and executioner Goodell.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm

King of Queens wrote: Important point to remember: anything is possible with judge, jury and executioner Goodell.
Agree with this. There's definitely no rhyme or reason to how Goodell applies suspensions. Brady and Hardy getting the same number of games is nothing short of ridiculous. One guy tried to kill someone; the other allegedly knew about light balls. Goodell is a joke.

Still don't think it ends up being more than two games, though, if he even is suspended.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route C

Post by Route C » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm

I think different rules apply depending on the league. I took AB in the cutline last night because there's a greater chance of a top RB coming back in a 10 teamer. It gets much tougher in a 12 team league unless you're ok with Demarco (no thanks). In a 14 teamer forget about it.

I'd still take Zeke in those leagues (12 and 14 teams) because he's one of a few players that can anchor your fantasy playoff scoring, but I'd make sure to get McFadden....esp if like Glenn suggested a longer suspension came into play.

There are some super player values right now. I'd recommend getting in as many of these early drafts as possible. Player value always tightens up as we get closer to the season and I'll bet you're not getting Dez at #23 in late August :shock:

This is really the time to jump into some OC's if you want value and separation from the pack come playoff time.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 pm

King of Queens wrote:Despite Elliott's "studly greatness" :lol: , a 6-game suspension would result in [[Game Over]] for owners taking him with a Top 4 pick.
Jerry Jones is being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, so you think Roger would do that to the guy who guarantees his $40 million a year salary? I don't think so. 8-)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:37 am

Sounds like we might finally get our answer today!

Or perhaps before the start of the 2032 season. :lol: