Skill vs Luck?

RI WORKHORSE

Skill vs Luck?

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
One thing about H2H that always gets overlooked or swept under the rug is this...

EVERY SINGLE TEAM in your league has a crack at beating you at least once.

If they can't beat a certain team...he deserves to advance. A win is a win.

~Lance Bye weeks??????

Im sure every guy in any league would love to play a Tom Brady or Moss on week 10.

No one gets to see a full team until after week 10.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

King of Queens

Skill vs Luck?

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am

Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
Again I do agree with you though. Also check my other post, Im not saying we get rid of H2H, Just pay out what it's worth. And Give the real champs there Championship's. But if H2H is only worth a shot at 3rd place (and no entry into the overall Championship), what fun is that?

I applaud the move to the three-week playoff between H2H and points champions.

sportsbettingman

Skill vs Luck?

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:38 am

H2H is also the only way a team smashed by injuries can make a comeback.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

RI WORKHORSE

Skill vs Luck?

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:40 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
[QB] [QUOTE]
something like-

1st in total points(League Champ)
2nd in total points (2nd Place)
3rd Best H2H Record

Or have the above three battle it out in a three week Playoff for the league championship.

H2H is the worst, And is clearly "Lucky". This is the only thing I hate about fantasy football.

So Greg, Any chance at all??????
I know you don't like h2h Johnny, but I think it's a key element of the NFFC and fantasy football in general. This year, we have 22 of 26 leagues still battling for the h2h title. Almost every single league has multiple teams still in line for the h2h title heading into the 13th week of the season. Personally, I think our current league format is very good as we reward h2h and total points equally and actually give me credence to total points with the third place prize and the overall prizes being only total points.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm more than happy with our current league format.
[/QUOTE]Hey, I have to try every year for a change. :D It's worth the shot.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

ultimatefs

Skill vs Luck?

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:48 am

Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
One thing about H2H that always gets overlooked or swept under the rug is this...

EVERY SINGLE TEAM in your league has a crack at beating you at least once.

If they can't beat a certain team...he deserves to advance. A win is a win.

~Lance Bye weeks??????

Im sure every guy in any league would love to play a Tom Brady or Moss on week 10.

No one gets to see a full team until after week 10.
[/QUOTE]Speaking of this...

Greg, can you please, please, please keep Wk 1 as #1 vs #2, #3 vs #4, etc...

but scramble Weeks 2-13 each year AFTER the draft is over so 'schedule' play is not a factor?

TIA
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

RI WORKHORSE

Skill vs Luck?

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
Again I do agree with you though. Also check my other post, Im not saying we get rid of H2H, Just pay out what it's worth. And Give the real champs there Championship's. But if H2H is only worth a shot at 3rd place (and no entry into the overall Championship), what fun is that?

I applaud the move to the three-week playoff between H2H and points champions.
[/QUOTE]Agree again, But it just sucks that the guy with the second highest scoring points lost out because of the luck of H2H.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Quahogs

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:20 am

Is it REALLY a fact H2H is smothered in luck and total points lathered in skill ? Wasn't CINCY lucky to play Tenn the week Haynesworth was out (and with a banged up secondary)? The recipient of that luck ? - C.Johnson to the tune of 40.3 pts. It's lucky Chad played Tenn THAT week or he'd probably throw up another 13 pt game.

Luck and skill are entwined even at the altar of the god TOTAL POINTS.

Captain Hook

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:42 am

JF - I can't believe the constant whining about H2H when Total Points determines the BIG winner.

In addition,there is no way for a 10-3 team with a low point total who doesn't win their league to get into the Championship round, but there is for a high scoring team regardless of their record.

Give it a rest!

[ November 28, 2007, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Captain Hook ]

3INTBOY

Skill vs Luck?

Post by 3INTBOY » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:44 am

I know this debate is beatin into the ground, but I always like it. Because FF is a game of skill and a game of luck.
All the good posts above about picking the right players at the draft and then making the right pickups in season are in my opinion exactly what the skill portion is about; and it is the greatest factor in winning FF most of the time. Again, in my opinion.

Luck factors in when a game is played on a field made for a mud wrestling match, but you're leading your opponent by 4 points and he has Nate Washington going; who gets 1 catch for 6 yards. A lucky win for that week.
There are so many examples of this, and it's good/bad luck equally, maybe not in the same year. But over a long period of time; and that's a part that we appreciate, the "luck" brings the excitement.

I focus on making good player calls, looking at situations where I think a player can succeed/fail and make my selections from there. I'm not a stats guy, I look at them in season, and post season but I go for more of the "supporting cast" kind of player selection and FA pickups. That is where my skill lies, or where I fail, luck has no impact on it.
Sometimes good, sometimes bad. That part I can live with.

3'

[ November 28, 2007, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com ]

BillyWaz

Skill vs Luck?

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am

H2H is definitely "week to week" as anything can happen.

I like Nag's post best, as luck pretty much IS a constant, whether it be good or bad. I can say after almost 4 years I have probably had equal amounts of "good and bad beats" when it comes to H2H.

As far as "who should get the $$", I think the implementation of the "$2,500 now, $2,500 later or if you can get both in 13 weeks - TAKE THE 5!" is the best rule that the NFFC has implemented to date (yes, better than KDS and 3RR).

And this is from someone who needs 28+ points this week more than the tops in points in order to even have a shot at the 5K. :eek:

Hey, if they can hold me off, with best record and points through 13 weeks, they clearly deserve it! :D