Skill vs Luck?

BillyWaz

Skill vs Luck?

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Originally posted by boutrous11:
I think poker and fantasy football are both pretty similar. I'd say 65% luck in each. 65% Boutrous???? :eek:

Now before I get to football, I think a few people like Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreau, etc. might disagree with you about poker.

In all honesty, poker offers an added "edge" that fantasy football does not.... The "psych-out factor".

Since bluffing is a HUGE part of poker, you DO NOT have the best hand to win. In fantasy football, once the lineups are set, it is on, and there isn't much you can do. So I honestly think poker is more skill than fantasy football.

That being said, I don't believe EITHER of them are close to 50/50, let alone only 35% skill.

I know I (and someone else said it too) wouldn't play fantasy football if I even considered it close to 50/50 proposition.

TradeStar28

Skill vs Luck?

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by boutrous11:
I think poker and fantasy football are both pretty similar. I'd say 65% luck in each. 65% Boutrous???? :eek:

Now before I get to football, I think a few people like Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreau, etc. might disagree with you about poker.

In all honesty, poker offers an added "edge" that fantasy football does not.... The "psych-out factor".

Since bluffing is a HUGE part of poker, you DO NOT have the best hand to win. In fantasy football, once the lineups are set, it is on, and there isn't much you can do. So I honestly think poker is more skill than fantasy football.

That being said, I don't believe EITHER of them are close to 50/50, let alone only 35% skill.

I know I (and someone else said it too) wouldn't play fantasy football if I even considered it close to 50/50 proposition.
[/QUOTE]Personally, I cannot stand the poker and fantasy football comparisons...they are two games of skill and luck that could not be more different.

Fantasy football success is derived from more than 50% skill....Any of the teams are given the same chance to put together a winning team no matter where you draft..Spot 1 to 14. Yes, I did not want to be @ Spot 12 this year....but I could have easily have put drafted a winning team this year if I had selected different players, obviously.

Also, roster management with starting rosters and which players to put in during a given week is a skillful thing that some are better than others.

And lastly, Free agency is a skill that someone can use to better there team through out the course of the regular season.

On the flip side, luck is involved with injuries and your weekly opponent during weeks 1-13....

In NFFC or any other big money league, or any small home league, the cream of the crop will always rise to the top....players like yourself Billy, fit that category...and its more attributed to your skill...as opposed to your luck...I will not put an arbitrary # on the skill level because its unneccesary...
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Route Collectors

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Okay, I'll weigh in: Great post KOQ, great post Nag. You hit it on the head. Of course, luck is involved and it's the same good or bad luck for everyone. All you can do is put yourself in position to win and let the games play out.

The beauty of fantasy sports is that there's always another season after this one!!! As long as player strikes stay away, we get to keep doing this EVERY YEAR!!! :D Thank goodness for that Greg. I've been looking forward to next year for about 2 months now. :( :D

boutrous11

Skill vs Luck?

Post by boutrous11 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 pm

just adding my two cents snake. i've played a lot of ffball and poker. strictly from my observations is where i got the 65-35 figure.

Coltsfan

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm

I feel lucky to have so much skill!

:D ;) :D

Wayne

(that's just a joke)

bald is beautiful

Skill vs Luck?

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Originally posted by FI$HER:
[QUOTE] Yes, I did not want to be @ Spot 12 this year....but I could have easily have put drafted a winning team this year if I had selected different players, obviously.
That's interesting, because I DID want to be at @12 this year. That was one of my highest KDS picks, and I'm sitting 15th overall right now.

Very few people had a low KDS.

BillyWaz

Skill vs Luck?

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm

That is a topic that has yet to be talked about in the "skill-luck" factor....KDS.

I personally had 8th as my 3rd preference and got it. I feel if you can get one of your desired spots where you feel comfortable drafting that helps reduce the "luck factor".

ultimatefs

Skill vs Luck?

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by FI$HER:
[QUOTE] Yes, I did not want to be @ Spot 12 this year....but I could have easily have put drafted a winning team this year if I had selected different players, obviously.
That's interesting, because I DID want to be at @12 this year. That was one of my highest KDS picks, and I'm sitting 15th overall right now.

Very few people had a low KDS.
[/QUOTE]How can it be 35% skill if a guy chooses 12th and sits at #15? :rolleyes:
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

kjduke

Skill vs Luck?

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 pm

If it's 65% luck that would mean someone that doesn't even know football would have a realistic chance of winning a league over an NFFC veteran. Drafting players they don't know, inserting lineups, picking up free agents. Very, very, very unlikely. Maybe if the NFFC vet is snake, otherwise it'll never happen.