Skill vs Luck?

Ted's Cracked Head

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Z - I see what you are saying and agree that luck plays a big factor but the 99% in your first posts is what got me thinking about the topic. I do agree that it is all about getting to the championship round where anything can happen as the season basically starts over for the sprint to the big money.

Are we going to fire up the poker group again?

Note: I would have posted the same stuff if I wasn't the luckiest bastage on the face of the earth last Xmas day. ;)
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Route Collectors

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
...ISHO luck is an inherent part of the game of FF, of ANY game (including the game of life) for that matter, and should be openly acknowledged and accepted...but what is the biggest drag of all is the luck portion of FF that is directly attributed toward injuries, especially an overabundance of them...for some reason, of the many luck factors that are not within an owner's control, The Serpent has always viewed this particular aspect of the luck factor with MUCHO frustration and disdain...SNAKE Drafting Westbrook, Walker, A.Green and V.Davis in first 6 rounds is luck you created all by yourself.

Proven recipe for the highest probability of disaster season.

You created your own luck.
[/QUOTE]This is exactly why these threads go sour. Debate the topic....not the individual. BAD FORM!

ultimatefs

Skill vs Luck?

Post by ultimatefs » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by SNAKE:
...ISHO luck is an inherent part of the game of FF, of ANY game (including the game of life) for that matter, and should be openly acknowledged and accepted...but what is the biggest drag of all is the luck portion of FF that is directly attributed toward injuries, especially an overabundance of them...for some reason, of the many luck factors that are not within an owner's control, The Serpent has always viewed this particular aspect of the luck factor with MUCHO frustration and disdain...SNAKE Drafting Westbrook, Walker, A.Green and V.Davis in first 6 rounds is luck you created all by yourself.

Proven recipe for the highest probability of disaster season.

You created your own luck.
[/QUOTE]This is exactly why these threads go sour. Debate the topic....not the individual. BAD FORM!
[/QUOTE]I was. This is example was the first that came to mind and fits my point quite well. Taking four injury risks in first six picks rarely pans out.

There was no malice in my posts, and Snake understood that because he didn't reply that way.

Z talked about winning every 5 years, this method wins every 10 from all the leagues I've run...When it wins, it can win big though...
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

mkrucek

Skill vs Luck?

Post by mkrucek » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 am

I'd just like to wish everyone only positives from those things that they don't control while avoiding the negatives so that their skill may determine the outcome of their game. Oh heck, GOOD LUCK to all those fighting for a championship or playoff spot.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Raiders

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Raiders » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:59 am

I think if your good your lucky.
If your not good your not lucky.

It's all luck.

Robert Zarzycki

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:37 am

Rob,

I saw we start poker right after the SuperBowl! Or maybe sometime before that, it'll make a great week to kick things off for the off-season.

As far as luck during the fantasy playoffs, I'll concede 99% and make it 90%. Bottom line, I think we both will agree to disagree on the subject and we both have valid statements to the debate. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Robert Zarzycki

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
I think if your good your lucky.
If your not good your not lucky.

It's all luck. I think everyone gets lucky equally over the long run. But to win $$$ the skilled need less luck, and the unskilled need tons luck.

One other thing I'd like to throw in...

It'll probably take another 20-30 years of wcoff/nffc results before we see some sort of long term results. In other words, it may take a LONG time before we see who the really good fantasy football managers are. That's the way it goes with statistics and aberrations - need many many years of data before we see long term trends.

In the meantime, it'll be fun seeing who gets lucky in the first 10 years and who can accumulate the most wins/$$$.

Good luck to all who make the playoffs. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Ted's Cracked Head

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:50 am

Rob,

I saw we start poker right after the SuperBowl! Or maybe sometime before that, it'll make a great week to kick things off for the off-season.

As far as luck during the fantasy playoffs, I'll concede 99% and make it 90%. Bottom line, I think we both will agree to disagree on the subject and we both have valid statements to the debate. -z-
Sounds good all the way around. I will agree to agree and disagree and keep sharpening my poker skills to try and give you and the rest of the group a run for my money when we start up again. ;)

Ted's Cracked Head

Skill vs Luck?

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:00 am

It'll probably take another 20-30 years of wcoff/nffc results before we see some sort of long term results. In other words, it may take a LONG time before we see who the really good fantasy football managers are. That's the way it goes with statistics and aberrations - need many many years of data before we see long term trends.
I sure hope to be playing in these challenges for the next 20-30 years vs you and the rest of the diehards. By then we may have divisions for us seniors. ;)