Keeper Leagues

weber7777

Keeper Leagues

Post by weber7777 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:31 am

- one thing that was discussed in the "other league" last year was possibly putting together a keeper league.. could be fun.. as long as you can get people to deposit sort of a security some extra funds to insure participation one year ahead.. keeps things interesting in the off-season.. just interesting concept.. auction is best for this because you essentially deduct money from your purse during the draft for players you keep plus money for inflation so to speak.. so keeping LT for next year would cost you what you paid the previous year plus something extra.. but keeping a guy like Colston would cost you virtually nothing which is the beauty of the concept.. just curious if there is interest.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

Quahogs

Keeper Leagues

Post by Quahogs » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:46 am

This can be an interesting concept. What you may want to do is cap it after 2 years - in effect create a 2 year league (auction). You bid with the idea that you may be keeping players (your option) for more than 1 year. How many to keep is to be determined same with how to treat FA pickups that end up on your roster season end. $1300 fee for example all paid up front for 2 $650 seasons. That way you nail down the commitment. Make the auction the friday before the main event - this sets the date in stone for the 2nd yr.

Captain Hook

Keeper Leagues

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:35 am

There is a lot more to a league like this, but it would be good to see if we have enough interested, so if you are, continue to sign in.

We will also see if Greg is even interested in running such a league.

I will be glad to help write the rules for a keeper league if Greg wants to run it AND we get 14 signups.

Quahogs

Keeper Leagues

Post by Quahogs » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 am

I'm just stumping here but I figure a 2-year league keeps things simple and avoids the constant league turnover of "permanent" leagues. KISS. No contracts or salary escalations need to be considered. What you bought the guy for last season is what you can keep him for , (-) that $ from next years $260. Again how many players ?? I dont know.

There are alot of diehards here that talk FF all season long and it'd be nice to have one league where there's proprietary interest in players you bought last season.

Then again maybe people are more for the traditional type keeper leagues. Just my .02 regardless

Great stickibility Greg ! you'd be getting people to sign 2 yr contracts to the NFFC !

Q

[ December 12, 2006, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

weber7777

Keeper Leagues

Post by weber7777 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:29 pm

the only reason buying a player for the same price is not reasonable is because of the marques colston's of the world, they are going to be worth about 25 bucks next year. he was probably picked up as a fa or drafted for a buck this past year. it would be extremely unreasonable and unfair to keep him for a buck. mind you you'll get him extremely cheap and you will get rewarded for being smart enough to have him on your roster but you'd probably have to pay at least 5-7 bucks for him .. LT on the other hand, with inflation especially after this year would cost 60 plus easy..

i know how to run this type of league.. it's awesome. you get to keep maybe 2 or 3 free agents because you don't want to take the fun out of the draft. thats the best part of the year and it suks only drafting a few guys.. but if you kept 2 guys and drafted the rest great, but at least you don't have to worry about getting your studs..

on the other end of the spectrum, you may want a guy like chad johnson, but you probably wouldn't keep him because he sucked so bad in the beginning of this year.. odds are you'd get him for less in the pool of drafting.. so there is major strategy to be used here. also you wouldn't have to keep anyone then have more money to play with on draft day.. just your perogative..
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

gomizzouman

Keeper Leagues

Post by gomizzouman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 pm

weber-I also run this type of league and I agree it is a ton of fun. I will just throw out our structure to add to the conversation.

Any Owner can keep 4 players at their current salary plus 10% or a minimum $2 increase. This money is deducted from the beginning auction budget.

If one of the four keepers is a free agent from the prior year, the player can be kept for $10. This helps to reward the owner that actually drafted Colston for $1 versus the owner that acquired him through free agency after the season started.

In addition to the four keepers, each owner has one restricted free agent tag that can be used at any point during the auction. In this scenario, the owner announces their wish to use the tag after the auction has closed on the player. The owner is awarded this player at the established market value. The owner can only do this once and does not even have to bid on the player. This twist is awesome as it allows a few mindgames. You may have to bleed an owner of his tag before you throw out someone on their previous year's roster, if you really want the player.

I will admit that the 4+1 has created some competitive imbalance, but we all started at the same point about six years ago.

I think a 2+1 or a 3+1 would be very fun and competitive in the NFFC.
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

mikeweber7777

Keeper Leagues

Post by mikeweber7777 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:54 pm

we'll figure something out.. i think the simpler the better though.. but i like that there is some interest.. thats all i can ask..

liquidhippo

Keeper Leagues

Post by liquidhippo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:33 pm

I'm definitely interested, but would have to hear more details.

kjduke

Keeper Leagues

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
I'm definitely interested, but would have to hear more details. same here

GOD Loves You

Keeper Leagues

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:40 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
I'm definitely interested, but would have to hear more details. same here [/QUOTE]I have been wanting to talk with you about this since you already have a nice baseball one a'going. If anyone can figure out the logistics, so the majority could agree upon them, I would be quite interested.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL