Live vs. Online - Not Even a Contest

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Two years ago in 2009, I attended my 1st NFFC live event in NYC. There were eight tables. I had attended an NFBC baseball live event earlier that year in March so I had been exposed to the phenomenon of drafting with over 100 fantasy sports fanatics like myself with multiple drafts going off at the same time. Still, the football event was just as exciting and awe inspiring.

This year, there were only four tables in NYC. Online drafts have become more and more popular and the live events have suffered for it. Still, the live drafts this year were just as exciting and awe inspiring......and most of all, fun.

I've spent the past few weeks drafting online for the various Online Championships, DC's, satellites, etc. Fun, but not the same. When the draft is over, the experience is over. This week however, I've drafted at both my local leagues, the NFFC Auction, and the NFFC Classic & Primetime. Now that's an experience.

There's something about walking in the room before the draft, seeing the draft tables at the ready, seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones. The announcements before the draft, checking out the draft boards at the breaks, chatting with your leaguemates and players in other leagues before, during, and after the drafts all add to the experience.

My favorite activity at the live drafts by far is walking around the room with all the other drafters, going from draft board to draft board, checking out where players you drafted went in other drafts, looking for the strong & weak teams, hearing the opinions of everyone else doing the same thing you are doing. I wouldn't trade it for a million online drafts. I hope the live drafts are here forever.

It was great being in NYC this weekend, seeing and getting to chat once again with great guys like Nelson, KOQ, Jupinka, the Zwickels, Bob Particelli, Mike Edelman, Monkeyville, Ante, Mike & Kevin Sandman, Renman, Tom Yates, Marty Bedell, Dan Mitlof, Jersey Yo. It was just as great to meet and/or chat for the first time with other great guys like the champ Tom Carbone, Alex Kaganovsky, Jeff Dawson, Diesel, and of course the infamous Blackhand himself, Frank Mammola. Great guys one and all. It was also great to see Tom again as always. Greg's brother Mike is a helluva nice guy, as is Jim from STATS.

Greg, Tom, I know Online drafts are easier and probably a lot more cost efficient, for both provider and customer. I'm sorry, I don't care. Don't ever get rid of the live drafts. These contests wouldn't be the same without them. Next year, Vegas for me second weekend. If there's a first weekend, maybe I'll visit Chicago as well. If not, I'll definately be back in NYC. One thing's for sure, I'll be drafting live.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Great seeing you, Glenn. Nice to meet Papa Lowy as well.

Next stop: V-E-G-A-S :D

jimchristie

Post by jimchristie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Never been to a LIVE NFFC event; that may change in 2012.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Great seeing you, Glenn. Nice to meet Papa Lowy as well.

Next stop: V-E-G-A-S :D Jeez, I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Yes, after a few seasons of slowly converting my Dad from CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo to high stakes contests by buying him a satellite or online championship for every birthday, Father's Day, holiday, etc., I finally got to expose him to a live draft, an auction no less. He's hooked now also. The love for fantasy runs deep in the Lowy gene pool. A few more years and I'll be bringing my son Joseph as well. Then with three Lowy's at a live draft, you guys might all decide to move to the online options. :D

Lucky Leprachauns 999

Post by Lucky Leprachauns 999 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Personally, the live event feel has never been there for me. That includes, 5 years of live baseball drafts... People want to rush through the draft and complain when a person takes more than 30 seconds and then rush out after the event. Heck, even had facilitators do this and not want to take a 10 minute break!!!!

They are more concerned getting the draft over and then going gambling, than spend anymore time that's needed to be at a draft event. Not everyone, but many.

Sure, its great for the first 1 hr before the draft and then 30 minutes after, looking at the boards. However, for me, no more live events. The money spent is not worth the whole 1 hour of excitement for me... Just keep the online drafts coming and I will continue supporting, like I have the past 5 years. Would rather spend the money on events, than airfare and hotels.

[ September 05, 2011, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Lucky Leprachauns 999 ]

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm with Glenn on the live drafts, but partly because we don't incur airfare or hotel; we just drive 3 hours to NYC. But for my son and me, we really enjoy seeing so many great people with the same passion and the thrill of all the drafts going on simultaneously. We're in 5 online events too, but we hope the live events never go away.

MGB MARTY

Post by MGB MARTY » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Ditto Glen
Though me and you are on line in prime time, No comparison in live versus on line. Love meeting new people and going over drafted as well as meeting new people, Met Peter the canadian lol in my league this year which was great as well as of coure the usual suspects, John Nelson Glenn the emaciated one lol Zwickel you Tom Scott Marc plus a lot of new people By the way NY will have the over all champ Just an opinion
Marty

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm in the live draft camp. Been in Vegas every year of the NFFC existence. I am seeing the Classic and Primetime contests have more and more online leagues and less and less live drafts. I also do not like at all that leagues are being drafted over a 2-week period for the same contest. Look at the extra information now out on Manning that we did not have this past weekend. Also Moeaki and Jennings got drafted in many leagues who are now out for the year.

Perhaps Greg would consider running a completely separate contest with only live leagues drafting at the same time across the country? Call it the "Live Draft Championship" or something like that. Kind of back to the roots. I would prefer to continue to play in that format every year instead of the multiple weekend/mostly online leagues we are currently migrating to. The Classic and Primetime could still go off as it has been, but this would give us live players another option.

Daren E
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:18 am

Could not have said it any better,Glenn,and my only regret was not getting to spend more time chatting with the guys,what a blast the live draft is.

And a special thanks to Steven Jupinka,who went above and beyond to get me to my motel room after the draft.HSFF people are the best.
And it was great seeing Scott Newmann and his phenomenal Fantasy Footballin daughter,Alexxa.
Good luck all.
And Tomys trophy was awsome,the NFFC ouhght to keep thar badboy as a template for every year.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 am

no doubt. it was great talking to the guys and talking football , having a beer and bite to eat with them. it was a pleasure getting to meet some new faces as well as the regular crew. to me if you spend a few thousand in leagues it is worth the money you spend to go live. jim , tom , and mike did a great job as well as the facilitators. you cant beat the live events.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN