Does Head 2 Head still have a place?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:30 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
One thing I noticed re the FPG playoffs is that 6 of the top 7 teams in the Overall lost in the first week of the playoffs (the 1 team that won did so by .15 points).

Imagine being the No. 2 team out of 3,000 in an 11 week season and winning nothing except a lottery ticket with 600 other teams. Yep, this is the reality of that contest. If you can't string together 2 straight solid weeks in weeks 12 and 13, you most likely are LOSING money, and at best, breaking even.

I realize all the prize money is tied up in the grand prize, and the reason you play for $350 is for the 125K, but the fact that only ONE person out of 3,000 wins.......I learned my lesson in that one. I'll take 1/4 of the teams, guarantee myself AT LEAST DOUBLE my entry fee for making the playoffs, and have a much better chance at a "smaller" grand prize of $60,000.

This is the PRECISE reason I won't be in any league next year that doesn't give you at least your money back for winning points/record (whatever the criteria is) for a great regular season, and uses straight H2H to determine the winner.

P.S. I reserve the right to change my mind if I win the overall, as I too am fortunate to have a "lottery ticket".

[ November 29, 2011, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 am

KJ, so in the 2+2 idea the top two teams in victory points and the top 2 W-L records teams get in? Are total points a factor in this?

Also why did you not like the all-play leagues? When I reference "all-play" my definition is second highest point total for the week would be 11-1 that week. I've never played in a league that scored that way but that would seem to me, the fairest and most balanced. But again, I've never played one so I might be missing something very obvious.
Pat Sorge

particra

Post by particra » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 am

Originally posted by Bullgod:
KJ, so in the 2+2 idea the top two teams in victory points and the top 2 W-L records teams get in? Are total points a factor in this?

Also why did you not like the all-play leagues? When I reference "all-play" my definition is second highest point total for the week would be 11-1 that week. I've never played in a league that scored that way but that would seem to me, the fairest and most balanced. But again, I've never played one so I might be missing something very obvious. What you are describing is the Breakdown. Probably most fair, but may be a hard sell.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 am

Also why did you not like the all-play leagues? When I reference "all-play" my definition is second highest point total for the week would be 11-1 that week. I've never played in a league that scored that way but that would seem to me, the fairest and most balanced. But again, I've never played one so I might be missing something very obvious. No, when I say 2+2 I mean 2 seeds on points, 2 seeds on record, same as FFPC/ WCFF/ FBG.

VP would just be top 4 in VP with total pts as the tiebreaker.

Fantasy Jungle ran all-play lges before they went under. I played for a couple of yrs before quitting it entirely for the better formats of NFFC and WCFF. It's just boring and plays very much like a total pts league. I never even watched how I was doing in those Jungle leagues, just checked in Sunday night to see if I had a good day.

[ November 29, 2011, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
quote:Originally posted by Bullgod:

Also why did you not like the all-play leagues? When I reference "all-play" my definition is second highest point total for the week would be 11-1 that week. I've never played in a league that scored that way but that would seem to me, the fairest and most balanced. But again, I've never played one so I might be missing something very obvious. What you are describing is the Breakdown. Probably most fair, but may be a hard sell.
[/QUOTE]Why would this be a tough sell? Do you think people would be intimidated by the idea or would the lesser player feel they didn't have the luck factor? I don't get it...
Pat Sorge

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 am

quote:Originally posted by Hells Satans:

[/QUOTE]Why would this be a tough sell? Do you think people would be intimidated by the idea or would the lesser player feel they didn't have the luck factor? I don't get it...
[/QUOTE]See above Pat, they're dull. Play them for a couple years and you'll understand why Jungle couldn't grow their contest.

[ November 29, 2011, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Also why did you not like the all-play leagues? When I reference "all-play" my definition is second highest point total for the week would be 11-1 that week. I've never played in a league that scored that way but that would seem to me, the fairest and most balanced. But again, I've never played one so I might be missing something very obvious. No, when I say 2+2 I mean 2 seeds on points, 2 seeds on record, same as FFPC/ WCFF/ FBG.

VP would just be top 4 in VP with total pts as the tiebreaker.

Fantasy Jungle ran all-play lges before they went under. I played for a couple of yrs before quitting it entirely for the better formats of NFFC and WCFF. It's just boring and plays very much like a total pts league. I never even watched how I was doing in those Jungle leagues, just checked in Sunday night to see if I had a good day.
[/QUOTE]I would think it would be more exciting since you are "playing" against all 11 of your league mates. But I could see how it would kind of turn into a total pts. league.
I'm all about consistency and if a team is consistently beating two thirds to three quarters of the league on any given Sunday I think they should be in the mix. Not necessarily the team that has 2-3 totally off the charts scoring weeks but doesn't do much the other 10 weeks.
Pat Sorge

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 am

Trust me, all-play is the farthest thing from exciting you'll ever play.

Unlike our Diamond lge race, huh? Five teams within 20 points of each other to win the regular season title with a week to go.

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Trust me, all-play is the farthest thing from exciting you'll ever play.

Unlike our Diamond lge race, huh? Five teams within 20 points of each other to win the regular season title with a week to go. Yeah it's not like that is exciting ZZZ
BTW I'll be delivering hyperbaric chambers to Ahmad Bradshaw & Jeremy Maclin tonight
Need to get them boys healed!!!

You had a great night last night! Just want a spot in the Final Four at this point! Good luck this week!
Pat Sorge

renman

Post by renman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 am

KJ Duke,

I agree with you that all play is boring. I would argue that if someone looked at my history in the NFFC I have been stung repeatedly by poor luck in h2h as much as anyone. So this isn't coming from my personal experiences. Having said that, I still believe there needs to be a meaningful h2h component to the event to make it appealing to the masses.

The essence of sport and competition is me versus an opponent. That simple occurrence fuels the fantasy football experience for the vast majority of people. There are many people here on this forum who have 10, 15 or even 20+ fantasy football teams and operate them like stocks and bonds where it is an investment and they feel if they play a large number of leagues, and are skilled at this game, they will make a profit.

The people who do this or can afford to do this are not the majority and will not fuel a high stakes fantasy football contest. The vast majority of people have one team or a few teams (less than 4 I would say) and they are very involved in the games on Sunday. They pay attention to their players as well as the players they are going against that week. they live and die based on that individual game. The h2h aspect of fantasy football provides this experience.

I have always felt the NFFC had a good balance between h2h and total points. But I certainly can see the arguments and valid points you are making about taking the top 2 in total points and the top 2 in h2h.

Here is an idea that may or may not have any value. Many of us hard core NFFC guys prefer the classic 14 team format. Obviously that isn't the league style that mainstream fantasy football America is as comfortable with.. The classic has struggled to grow when compared to the 12 team formats of the online championship and the Primetime.

Maybe the victory points concept can be incorporated into the classic and the mainstream format of h2h combined with total points (with 4 playoff teams) can be incorporated into the 12 team formats under the NFFC umbrella. Then, the 12 team formats can be used in a way as a "feeder system" to fuel interest and support for the classic. The classic can be branded as the format/event where the best of the best play where the rules and format is designed to identify the best teams.

Thoughts?