2020 Major Rule Changes

Greg Ambrosius

Re: 2020 Major Rule Changes

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:34 am

With Sunday's game between Tennessee and Pittsburgh being suspended, we'll await the word from the NFL on whether this will still be made up on Monday or Tuesday. If it is, then those results will remain part of Week 4. If it's moved to another week, then this is likely both teams' bye week and NFFC owners should plan accordingly.

Again, we'll await word from the NFL, but everyone should plan accordingly in FAAB tonight.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 am

With Titans-Steelers officially being cancelled for this week, we now have 15 games this week instead of 16.

Those two teams likely will be able to make up that game in Week 7 and if that happens the results of that game will be counted in Week 7. We do NOT go back to the original schedule and post results there. This will be a Week 7 game or whatever week this game is made up. Good luck all and let's hope that this is an isolated situation and no other teams become affected.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

TR

Post by TR » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Just want to say I really hope u consider keeping the 2nd round of free agency bidding on Saturdays. There's too many late injuries and developments in the NFL..the extra day helps to better evaluate the landscape and make more informed decisions. Also it's good for monitoring monday night gametime decisions...being able to see who goes through practice on saturdays, that type of thing.

TR

Post by TR » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Covid is becoming more and more prevalent and causing much uncertainty with who might or might not be playing on a given week. I have read on some other fantasy football forums that commissioners allowing teams to have designated covid replacement spots. I think this sounds like a decent idea. Basically would designate players on bench as covid replacement players..their points would only count if a players in your starting lineup had his game postponed for covid, otherwise would just count the players whose game was in doubt as usual. Any thoughts if this could be implemented in nffc?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 pm

TR wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:04 pm
Just want to say I really hope u consider keeping the 2nd round of free agency bidding on Saturdays. There's too many late injuries and developments in the NFL..the extra day helps to better evaluate the landscape and make more informed decisions. Also it's good for monitoring monday night gametime decisions...being able to see who goes through practice on saturdays, that type of thing.
I know we made the right move to switch the second FAAB from Friday’s to Saturday’s and we will likely keep that deadline in coming years. Today another site proved how disastrous it can be if you have the second FAAB deadline too early in the weekend.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 am

TR wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:53 pm
Covid is becoming more and more prevalent and causing much uncertainty with who might or might not be playing on a given week. I have read on some other fantasy football forums that commissioners allowing teams to have designated covid replacement spots. I think this sounds like a decent idea. Basically would designate players on bench as covid replacement players..their points would only count if a players in your starting lineup had his game postponed for covid, otherwise would just count the players whose game was in doubt as usual. Any thoughts if this could be implemented in nffc?
This is high-stakes fantasy football. No, we can't have covid replacements. Tough decisions are going to have to be made by you the owners, including this week with Chiefs and Patriots. We won't know for sure if that game is a go until after Sunday's games start, so tough decisions have to be made. Sorry, but there's no easy solutions here. Good luck to all.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:00 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 pm
TR wrote:
I know we made the right move to switch the second FAAB from Friday’s to Saturday’s and we will likely keep that deadline in coming years. Today another site proved how disastrous it can be if you have the second FAAB deadline too early in the weekend.
One of our competitors felt that I was taking a shot at them with this last line and they told me as such in a two-word text, with the first word starting with a capital F. :shock: Sorry, I wasn't trying to take a shot at them or the other national contest that changed their FAAB deadline last night.

Instead, my feelings are toward both contests changing their rules during the season. I just don't think anyone should be doing that. Changing the second FAAB to later in the weekend was an easy decision for all season-long contests to make before the season and now the changes made yesterday are affecting us, too. I've gotten multiple emails this morning from our players who also play in those contests asking us to add a third FAAB period this morning because of the Saints-Lions game. That game is NOT being postponed, but the scare of that overnight and the decisions by others in our industry space quickly had people asking us why we don't change our rules too. Sheesh.

Let me be clear, if a game is postponed on Sunday morning because of positive Covid tests overnight, WE ARE NOT changing or adding a FAAB period. We are NOT adding a third FAAB period to make it fair for everyone. I know if something like that came out of the blue it could really affect some lineups and even force some folks to take zeroes at certain positions. But we tried to make the second FAAB period as late as possible on Saturday and we can't change our rules during the season. Let's hope something like this doesn't happen, but if it does we are not adding another FAAB period past Saturday at 10 pm ET.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my "disastrous" comment, but I don't agree with changing the rules during the season and I knew this would come back to affect us. I hope I'm clear in our decision that we will NOT be adding FAAB at any point during the season even if the unforeseen comes up. Good luck all and best of luck with these tough decisions this weekend.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:09 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:00 am
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 pm
TR wrote:
One of our competitors felt that I was taking a shot at them with this last line and they told me as such in a two-word text, with the first word starting with a capital F. :shock: Sorry, I wasn't trying to take a shot at them or the other national contest that changed their FAAB deadline last night.

Instead, my feelings are toward both contests changing their rules during the season. I just don't think anyone should be doing that. Changing the second FAAB to later in the weekend was an easy decision for all season-long contests to make before the season and now the changes made yesterday are affecting us, too. I've gotten multiple emails this morning from our players who also play in those contests asking us to add a third FAAB period this morning because of the Saints-Lions game. That game is NOT being postponed, but the scare of that overnight and the decisions by others in our industry space quickly had people asking us why we don't change our rules too. Sheesh.

Let me be clear, if a game is postponed on Sunday morning because of positive Covid tests overnight, WE ARE NOT changing or adding a FAAB period. We are NOT adding a third FAAB period to make it fair for everyone. I know if something like that came out of the blue it could really affect some lineups and even force some folks to take zeroes at certain positions. But we tried to make the second FAAB period as late as possible on Saturday and we can't change our rules during the season. Let's hope something like this doesn't happen, but if it does we are not adding another FAAB period past Saturday at 10 pm ET.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my "disastrous" comment, but I don't agree with changing the rules during the season and I knew this would come back to affect us. I hope I'm clear in our decision that we will NOT be adding FAAB at any point during the season even if the unforeseen comes up. Good luck all and best of luck with these tough decisions this weekend.
Thanks for explanation, it is helpful to know the rules won't be changed on the fly so we can assess and deal with risk accordingly and I don't think a 3rd FAAB period should ever be introduced out of nowhere. For example, I made a couple of tough cuts on my rosters last night to protect against a Chiefs-Patriots cancellation that I would not have made had I known there would be a 3rd FAAB period on Sunday, which would have provided more time to assess risk. As of now, things look a tad better for that game now than they did last night.

I will say that moving the Saturday night waiver period to Sunday morning would probably make those assessments a little easier on fantasy players, as the closer we can bring it to game-time, the less unknown that has to be planned for.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 am

Yes, Sunday morning would give owners more time to assess Covid updates/game postponements, but it also makes it tougher to set multiple starting lineups on Sundays before games start. I know this is a different year, but some of our customers have NFL season tickets and would have to do that before going to home games or church or whatever else happens on Sunday morning.

I think a late Saturday night FAAB deadline works best, but even with that deadline unforeseen things will come up. We know that. Nothing is perfect, but hopefully a late Saturday night works best for everyone. And no third FAAB period makes sense for everyone.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 am
Yes, Sunday morning would give owners more time to assess Covid updates/game postponements, but it also makes it tougher to set multiple starting lineups on Sundays before games start. I know this is a different year, but some of our customers have NFL season tickets and would have to do that before going to home games or church or whatever else happens on Sunday morning.

I think a late Saturday night FAAB deadline works best, but even with that deadline unforeseen things will come up. We know that. Nothing is perfect, but hopefully a late Saturday night works best for everyone. And no third FAAB period makes sense for everyone.
Makes sense, and really appreciate you guys sticking with the rules as written. We all know that Covid creates weird decisions but this is why, for example, some people are carrying 2 QBs that might otherwise carry 1 QB. There's no way to fully protect your team against uncertainty in this environment, but too many decisions leading up to this point have already been made based on the current understanding of the rules.

Great job NFFC!