Painful---Here comes the feedback...

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:37 am

Yes, Tom, I mean the color-coded draft grid. For us, that's essential when drafting, which is why we were manually writing one as we went (requiring time). Imagine if at the live drafts there was no board? We'd all unnecessarily spend time on that, time away from our cheatsheets.

Overall, I think you have a quality product here once the final touches are ironed out.

BTW, the software leaks memory bigtime! If you leave it on for several hours, the IE process climbs well over 600mb of memory use.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:40 am

I agree Mike. The roster grid was being worked on and we thought it was going to be ready for Wednesdays drafts. Unfortunately it wasn't and you're right that is a very nice feature and something that helps during the draft. It's there now and hopefully everyone has had a chance to check it out.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:48 am

To follow up on this, the team summary option was available for Wednesdays drafts and that provides the same information as the Roster Grid. So there was the ability to track the draft for every team in the league for our drafts on Wednesday. But again, that option required you to click away from the player list which we know many do not want to do. So now we've added the roster grid which can be fitted to your screen so all of the information can be viewed on one screen.

The team summary window is still part of the room and if folks have a chance to check it out I think they'll like it.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:53 am

I know you're trying to manage the PR end of this Tom, but let's be honest... the draft summary may be similar to the colored draft grid, but the latter is much more useful. At a glance, you can easily see who else still has to draft a TE or QB, or if the owner after you needs a QB or you can wait, etc. The draft summary has no colors and this info doesn't readily pop out. Plus the grid can be maximized to a full screen separate window; the summary displays about 3 teams at a time.

That's all water under the bridge as the colored grid IS now available and is very slick. But I think I speak for most of the GAMERS league players that we don't wish to be labeled unjustified whiners. ;) The lack of the colored grid was a MAJOR hassle for us and the summary that was available last Wed. was NOT an adequate replacement.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:01 am

Mike, I'm not trying to manage the PR end. I'm just trying to provide as much context for the discussion as possible and I'm simply saying the feature to track the team draft summary was available. I didn't say it was as nice as the grid because it isn't. I like the color-coded listings quite a bit too. It's a very nice feature and I wish we had it ready for the two drafts on Wednesday and the slow draft Tuesday. I'm just saying that the ability to track all of the picks by the teams in your league was available. If we didn't present the tool in a more accessible way, that's our fault. We've worked to correct that and I believe we have.

Like I said, the proof will be in the pudding. If the three drafts tonight go smoothly I think we'll be in good shape going forward. That doesn't change what happened to you guys on Wednesday but Greg has offered to make amends and hopefully most, if not all, of the members your league take him up on his offer. Regardless of what transpired in this thread, I would like to believe our veterans know that Greg and I care a lot about what you think and we will do everything in our power to work with you and make this right.

That's what I'm hoping anyway. Hopefully, I'm not being naive about that.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

calsuer

Post by calsuer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:30 am

Tom: Practice draft does NOT incorporate the 3-RR
feature. Can that be "corrected".

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:37 am

Hey Cal, be sure to click on the NFFC option. 3RR is available for both the 12-team and 14-team options. If it's not showing up today let me know and we'll get that fixed but it has been using 3RR.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:54 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Mike, I'm not trying to manage the PR end. I'm just trying to provide as much context for the discussion as possible and I'm simply saying the feature to track the team draft summary was available. I didn't say it was as nice as the grid because it isn't. Tom, don't try to re-write history with your context, because the players in this lge have far better context than you. What we had was 100% inadequate for a real draft in which we need to manage, track and analyze a draft in real time ... all of which was made worse with the extremely buggy queue/player profile buttons that we all experienced in that first draft.

The picks weren't showing up in a manner which we're all used to and we couldn't track the draft while also looking for players (gee, who would want to do that?), which means the draft site for the gamers lge was pretty much an experimental POS. Why do you think it took an extremely experienced group of players over 5 hours to complete the draft?

The cosmetic fixes you've since implemented look good. The draft summary, which was poorly conceived, is now a useless afterthough because the draft can be tracked using the pop-out draft board. Hopefully the buggy queue has been fixed too.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:10 am

Kevin, I'm not going to get into an argument with you but I am not re-writing history. The team summary option was available on Wednesday night for our two drafts. As I said, it doesn't have color-coded positions like the roster grid and in order to view it you had to click away from the player list which I know many people don't want to do. I clearly stated that if it wasn't accessible enough that fault is on us. However, the feature was there.

As I have said throughout this thread, I feel terrible about the experience you guys had in your draft. That's the truth. I'm sorry if you or anyone else chooses not to believe me but I'd like to think that I've gained some measure of trust with our veterans over the years. I'm not perfect but I do care about this event and those who participate in it.

All we're trying to do here is get this draft site functioning in a way that will enable all of our participants to enjoy the experience going forward. I've clearly stated that doesn't change what happened to you guys Wednesday night unfortunately but Greg has made all of you an offer to try to amend that. We're hoping you take him up on it so we can work together to make this right.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 am

Where do we officially sign up to accept Greg's offer for a GAMERS 2 DC league? And what will the prize fund look like?