Tim Tebow - update - Tebow to the JETS

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:40 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I am saying YES, they are better off with a backup QB that doesn't conflict with the starting QB. The Packers would have tried to convince Favre and Rodgers to stay together if what you say is true, one lighting a fire under the other's butt. Montana would have never been a Chief. Manning never a Bronco. Mark Sanchez

bobsgym

Post by bobsgym » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 am

There are three things you can't talk about at work:
(1) politics
(2) religion
(3) Tebow

If you 'hate' Tebow now, you will die hating him and if you love him ...

Tebow lovers are now reminding everybody about how bad Sanchez is and the Tebow haters are worried about Sanchez's confidence.

It is absolutely amazing how everybody falls in line based on how they feel about him.
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

BobSquad, I'm not a Tebow hater at all. I love what he does. It's the BAD decision the Jets just made that I disagree with.

Al, MARK SANCHEZ just got a guaranteed deal. Then they sign Tebow. It's like asking a girl to marry you, and then sleeping with the bridesmaid before the wedding and asking your wife to be to turn Mormon and be a sister wife.

And Eli is a good example. You may not like it, but he is a good example. The Giants signed him. The Giants stuck with him. Even when people said he looked like he was on prozac and there were many many doubters. The Superbowls came as the Giants stuck with their QB through thick and thin. No Tebow. No fire under his butt. Just trust and stability with their decision. The Jets' just contradicted themselves by signing MARK SANCHEZ and then bringing in Tebow just after. You are not going to win with poor decision making like this.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

bobsgym

Post by bobsgym » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 am

Diesel

I see by the timing that it looked like I was talking about you. You have never come across as emotionally falling in line either way.

Much of my opinion is from family/friends and the long thread from the fall/winter.

Bob
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:36 am

Bob, sorry about the misunderstanding. I do see the same thing. I'm on the side that loved seeing Tebow do his thing last year. It was ugly and exciting at the same time. He was in a perfect place, and now I believe he is not.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 am

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm suprised to see more of the same opinions, as far as bringing Tebow in to light a fire under Sanchez' butt. I know it may sound like a good idea, but let's see if YOU work harder if I bring someone in to possibly take your position in whatever occupation you are in. Let's see if it makes you a more productive worker if someone is right behind you, looking to take your spot. This doesn't work. Please don't bring up how Sanchez makes millions and should be able to handle that. Whether you are a carpenter, banker, accountant, CEO or a manager at Costco, that's not going to make your more productive. Ok so we are talking Mark Sanchez.. a below average, at best, QB, who in many Jets fans eyes, before Tebow got here, didn't deserve an extension, needed to prove himself, had taken a huge step back last year, and should be given 1 more year to prove himself to be worthy or let loose. So, in my eyes, yes, if you are not cutting it in your job and your employer wants to light a fire under your ass, you hire someone who might be a threat, so maybe you either work a little harder or you get canned. We aren't talking about Brady or Brees or Rodgers... We are talking about Mark Sanchez. Put things into perspective. There is a good chance he turns it around this year. There is also a chance he is horrible, and that would have been if Tebow were here or not. Why not have a backup plan, in case your below average QB doesn't cut it? Most smart business people have a backup plan if their main plan is suspect. [/QUOTE]I am not a fan of Sanchez by any stretch of the imagination. I just think that to say he took a step backwards last year is a bit unfair. The entire Jets team took a step backwards, so ultimately their young QB struggled. Their running game was not as advertised, their WR core extremely overrated, and their locker room a complete mess.

The Tebow signing does nothing but complicate things for the Jets. Tebow is going to be Tebow and win teammates and fans over. There will also be those who are loyal to Sanchez and this can result in some divide within the team. Both of these young QB's need a positive atmosphere in which to learn how to effectively and consistently play in this league. I look for that to be much more difficult for both now.
Go Big Red!

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Lets examine the past 3 years for Mark Sanchez. He had a horrible beginning in his rookie season. If it wasn't for the Colts giving them a victory at the end of the season, there wouldn't have been any playoffs. The Jets won, by running the ball in the ground and pound and limiting Sanchez as much as possible, since he showed he was not ready for prime time. Granted he played well in the playoffs and proved he belonged in the NFL. In his second season, he was again limited. He rarely threw the ball down field, with the Jets being the most conservative offense in football. Once again, the Jets did well in the playoffs. In year 3, the Jets management (wrongfully) decided to open up the offense and give Mark Sanchez the opportunity to show what he's got. He failed, not only in his execution, but especially in his leadership. The QB is supposed to be the leader. He is no leader. He is barely a follower. He has limited ability and too many flaws. Sanchez looked absolutely defeated and scared at the end of last season. Eveyone saw it. If you didn't, you weren't watching. Even before Eli Manning won a superbowl, everyone knew he had the talent. Much more than Sanchez. Give him some weapons and a decent defense and the Giants were superbowl champions. Sanchez already had an elite defense when he took over. Much better than the Giant defenses that won the superbowl. All Sanchez had to do was not make mistakes. In his first two seasons, he kept the mistakes to a minimum mainly because the play calling was as conservative as any I have ever seen. (I have watched every minute of every Jets game). When given the opportunity to show what he's got, Sanchez proved he cannot be a leader or a QB who stays away from horrible mistakes. His decision making last year was so bad, yes Mark Brunell was practicing with the 1st team. MARK BRUNELL!! Now as I have said, if Jets management made a mistake this off season, it was to give Mark Sanchez a lucrative extension. When the Jets hired Tony Sparano, they decided they were going to go back to the ground and pound and take the ball out of Mark's hands anyways. They were going to pick up an RB in the 1st few rounds of the draft to go with Greene. When Tebow became available, there was not a better guy to pick up and help them with their running game. His ability as a QB is limited. His ability as a ground and pound football player is well documented. So, as a football move, it was the right one. Will it ruin Mark Sanchez? I hope not. But if it does, how do you blame the Jets for a guy who has already shown limited leadership ability and average at best talent. He will never be Eli Manning and if he does end up winning a super bowl either with the Jets or somewhere else, it will be with an elite defense and running game. Maybe this is the beginning of the Tim Tebow era with the Jets. Or maybe this is the fire Sanchez needs to be a star in this league. Eli is the exception to the rule. Sanchez is no Eli Manning. I am not even sure he is a Trent Dilfer. But, don't get me wrong, Tebow isn't an elite QB either. He is a specialty player who fits well with the Jets, and it cost them a 4th round pick, to bring some diversity and ability to the Jets running offense. This is a good thing. Sorry all of you Drew Stanton fans. I know he will be missed, but Tebow is here. Like it or not. And although his fans are fanatics, ask anyone who has every played with him. He is a winner and a leader, even as a secondary player. If he does end up as the Jets starting QB, he will prove he belongs. I am very excited for this coming season..... love ya Marc!! (Quitsch that is!)

bobsgym

Post by bobsgym » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Right or wrong I think Sparano/Ryan believe that the wildcat can be successful and Tebow is the ideal wildcat QB.

By week 2 Sanchez will be the change of pace QB and the wildcat will be the staple of their offense.
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Originally posted by BobSquad:
Right or wrong I think Sparano/Ryan believe that the wildcat can be successful and Tebow is the ideal wildcat QB.

By week 2 Sanchez will be the change of pace QB and the wildcat will be the staple of their offense. Don't think it will be that fast, but they will call a lot of plays for Tebow, not necessariliy "wildcat", but the spread and option will be a big part of their offense.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

I think (but I'm not sure) that the Jets are wanting 2 things.

1. Use Tebow in wildcat packages as a change of pace.

2. Capitalize on Tebow's huge popularity.

But I honestly think this whole situation will backfire and it's going to be nothing but a circus this year.

Wayne