Should There Be A Third Place League Playoff In 2009?

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm

I like the 10% rule.

If you reward H2H the same way. I would be OK with it if you draw the line at 12-1. :D
Hakuna Matata!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Originally posted by Follow Me:
Greg,

The payout for 3rd Place should be to the team with the most Total Points that did not make the League Championship Game. There should be no playoff for 3rd Place.

The payout helps protect the team that may have had the most Total Points or the 2nd most Total Points and still did not make the League Championship Game.

I am not arguing that there should be a playoff for 3rd Place.

I would argue that H2H should not be involved at all, but as I said, I know that H2H has to be involved in the Main Event.

I am just saying that it would stink to be 11-2 and 3rd in Total Points and not win any money because the team with the 4th most Total Points finished with the Best Record.

Mark
Follow Me I totally understand and don't disagree. But the interesting point in your case and RapTors case is that either one of you could finish with best h2h record and be fourth in total points, and the other team could be third in total points and not earn any money. Your league is very unique with you or RT clearly going to win the h2h league title and at best finish third or fourth in total points. Very intersting league and one team will likely be disappointed, as will the second highest-point team that could be left out of the Championship Round unless it finishes in the Top 10% and finish with "only" $1,250.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Mark, I hear what you're saying, yet there is a push for h2h to be even MORE of a factor in the payout of prizes. If you have the third highest points in your league through 13 weeks and then miss out on a three-week playoff for third place money, how would that feel? Probably not too good either. Greg - u have a 10% point rule for the playoffs. what about having a H2H rule as well. Anyone finishing 11-2 or better would make it. or if u wanted to lower it to 10-3 or better. how many extra people woulda made it last year? this way very good H2H performers (the basis for your leagues) would be guarenteed a shot in the playoffs. [/QUOTE]I can look this up tomorrow, although it will take some time. But an easier solution would be to allow Top 3 teams in each league into the Championship Round, again adding another 16 or so teams overall because some already get in now with the 10% rule. In many cases this would probably cover teams with 11 wins.

Again, I can do some research tomorrow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:30 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Follow Me:
Greg,

The payout for 3rd Place should be to the team with the most Total Points that did not make the League Championship Game. There should be no playoff for 3rd Place.

The payout helps protect the team that may have had the most Total Points or the 2nd most Total Points and still did not make the League Championship Game.

I am not arguing that there should be a playoff for 3rd Place.

I would argue that H2H should not be involved at all, but as I said, I know that H2H has to be involved in the Main Event.

I am just saying that it would stink to be 11-2 and 3rd in Total Points and not win any money because the team with the 4th most Total Points finished with the Best Record.

Mark
Follow Me I totally understand and don't disagree. But the interesting point in your case and RapTors case is that either one of you could finish with best h2h record and be fourth in total points, and the other team could be third in total points and not earn any money. Your league is very unique with you or RT clearly going to win the h2h league title and at best finish third or fourth in total points. Very intersting league and one team will likely be disappointed, as will the second highest-point team that could be left out of the Championship Round unless it finishes in the Top 10% and finish with "only" $1,250.
[/QUOTE]Greg,

Personally, I don't really care if I qualify for the Championship Round. I want to make money in my league.

Now that I have Boldin and Colston back, I may be able to make up the 47 points to finish 2nd in Total Points and pick up the money for 3rd Place.

For now, finishing with the 2nd most Total Points is my goal.

Finishing with the Best Record and having the 4th most Total Points is less of a feat to me, though I'd make more money, than finishing with the 2nd most Total Points.

If I can score the 2nd most Total Points and finish with the Best Record, that is just icing on the cake.

What I would bet is going to happen is exactly what happened last year. I will finish tied for the Best Record and be 4th in Total Points, which means I earn no money. In my opinion, finishing 4th in Total Points, I wouldn't deserve any money.

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:19 pm

No play off for third!

Leave everything the same except:
Third place does not go to the next total point person but to the next all play person. The all play people can be quiet. You reward all formats.
You say H2H is most important, then points, then all play.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Originally posted by Rob B:
I like Lumpys idea. You then reward the winners of the three cats and possily make more owners happy.

My vote: No playoff as written. What is Lumpy's idea, couldn't find it on a look through this thread.
I think it is something to do with All Play maybe???
@RedRyder

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:26 am

Originally posted by Follow Me:
Greg,

Mark
Follow Me We're not here to "protect" teams. If you want to protect teams then just give first place to most points. I don't understand why 3rd place should be treated any differently than the two in the championship game.

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:39 am

Turbough is correct.
Why not "protect" the teams that had the best record but did not make the playoffs?

I respect so many of you, but it's crazy how many of you are completely off base.
Total points is much easier to accumulate than a h-h record. That is a fact.
Total points is more luck since you can have 1 or 2 great weeks that should count as 1 win, not 220 points.
11-1 is much better judge of who had the better year.

It really is astounding how few of you just don't get that basic principal.

If you all want to have a points league, good luck.
You are going to need it.
I'd rather you all do that than to hear the constant whining about how h to h is luck and points is skill.
You all couldn't be more wrong.

The rest of us will be fine. We'll find a head-to-head contest out there since points bores people to death and the huge majority will always play head-to-head.

The rest of us simpletons will concentrate on finding ways to beat the millions out there playing head-to-head.

I honestly wish you good luck with your points league. There are too many other choices out there that use common sense guidelines, without demonizing head-to-head play.

It is becoming the sorriest argument I have had to hear a million times over.
And it has no merit what so ever.

I have been doing this forever. And not one time has there been a team with more points that should be crying because they lost money to a team with a better record.
Not once.

If this was bass fishing fantasy I could see having so many whiners.

It's football. Some win. Some lose. Some get hurt. Some play easier schedules. Some play teams on off weeks. Some teams play better on some weeks. Did you know that some teams play under different weather conditions? Why aren't the million watching NFL weeping because they don't use overall points?
Because it is a meaningless stat and always will be.

Good lord. Get a grip folks.

If you have ever seen a sporting event you will notice that thousands of people are watching.
It's because either team could win.
The stands would be empty except for the people that what to see a game. The best team doesn't win every time or no one would be there.

They play the game.

Millions of viewers could care less how many point a team accumulates, by the way.

If they lose and think they were the better team, they come back the next week and adjust their game. They don't attack the rules committee.

They lost or they won. And millions of people were fascinated.

I will be the first in line for an all points league or an all-play league. Just as soon as the NFL and NCAA adopt this brilliant idea.
So what if they lose a million viewers per game. Right?

The only decent argument you have that FF is not all luck is that so many of the same teams seem to do well.
Just like head to head.
If it is all luck, why have so many teams been able to figure it out and do well year after year?

Just change it to total points and get it over with. I'll always find another brick wall to come up against.

Someone made a great suggestion about a 3 week playoff for 3rd place money between the team with the best record and the team with the most points. (that didn't make the playoff for first.)
A 3 week playoff!!! Week 14,15 and 16!!!
And they don't deserve it??? Because they had the 2nd best record out of 14 high stakes teams??? After a 3 week playoff??? But the team with the 2nd most points does???

Totally unreal.

And so many of the same people are for watering down the overall playoffs by letting more teams in?
If it is kind of a crap shoot who wins the overall playoff, the only safeguard that it goes to a great team is to keep the playoff number low.
3rd place teams would water down the playoffs and just give a better chance for the overall to go to just some random team.

Please continue on with your regularly scheduled head to head bashing program...

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:42 am

Originally posted by TURBOUGH:
[/qb][/QUOTE]We're not here to "protect" teams. If you want to protect teams then just give first place to most points. I don't understand why 3rd place should be treated any differently than the two in the championship game. [/QB][/quote]

That is exactly what I prefer.

Most Points = 1st Place.

Mark
Follow Me

[ November 14, 2008, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Follow Me ]
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 am

Sound Advice great post.I get sick of the Head to Head bashing.I would also love to see the plaoff's for 3rd and 4th place.But keep that secret as the point guys might attack,again.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!