NFFC Ruling On Texans-Ravens Game

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
I know this is a tough call and your decision was the only one to make. There are no fair or good alternatives.

Unfortunately, there probably aren't at this point in time. The best we can do is use this experience to better our contest going forward. That isn't going to help the owners who have to take 0s this week and I fully realize that.

I did just notice that you are going to be without a D in the KP Auction but you will probably still win going away. That is a nice team you built. Thanks but it's a long season. I didn't realize until today that I still had Devin Hester on my roster. I could have picked up the Ravens' D for Hester and kept the Colts' D but I didn't see the need for a second defense in Week 2. So that was owner error on my part and I'll take a 0 because of it.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:43 pm

I gotta take a zero for Balt. def in the 650 auction but there is a bright spot......I free up a roster spot for the rest of the season and don't have to drop anyone valuable in week 10 to cover a bye week for my defense.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
I gotta take a zero for Balt. def in the 650 auction but there is a bright spot......I free up a roster spot for the rest of the season and don't have to drop anyone valuable in week 10 to cover a bye week for my defense. Good to see you again here, Jeff! :D

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:50 pm

I realize that the reality of the loss from the hurricane is the true devastation at heart, and my prayers go out to them.

I also think that we paid large cash, put drafts together with bye week considerations, and made our waiver choices this week based on the belief that Baltimore and Houston were playing this weekend.

In the NBC main this week, my starting roster includes:
Andre Johnson
Derrick Mason
Kris Brown
AND
Kevin Walter in the flex ( I have Steve Smith of CAR in the wings)

Tell me how I replace not one, but THREE position players when waivers have already run?

Then you offer a short "chastisement" that "some owners backed up their kickers and D"??? C'mon guys. How many people drafted two kickers?

You are, in effect, asking me to take multiple zeros this week as a result of your decision. That decision will most assuredly cost me any hope of a win this week, but could also seriously impact my chances of finishing in the money over the long haul.

Excuse me if I think you have made a terrible decision.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:54 pm

It wasn't a chastisement. That wasn't my intent. I simply stated that some owners do have two defenses or two kickers. But I stated that in the KP Auction league I didn't believe there was a need for two defenses in Week 2 so I only have the Ravens' defense. I have to take a 0 because of it. So as I have been saying, I completely understand the frustration. But we have to issue rulings that are in the best interests of our entire events and all of our participants and we believe this ruling does.

That said, we understand not everyone is going to be happy about this decision. And as I've been saying, I do understand and appreciate your frustration.

[ September 13, 2008, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
ISHO the arrogance, ignorance and presumptuous statements by some of the MB posters here pertaining to not having "planned properly" really irks The Serpent to no end here...Ugly, GiGi Le Femme, Comrade Zzzzz's and any other comrades spewing this crap should be the ones chastised ISHO...it really is blasphemous...SNAKE It should irk you for not taking the advice to cover your own ass.

My posts were based on two decades of running 40-50 leagues each year, so to call me ignorant only shows how ignorant you really are.

Quit blaming/crying to everyone else for problems you could have easily solved yourself, like many others did.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:42 pm

I don't see any other fair decision that could've been made. It's a bad break, just like an injury, suspension, or anything else that could affect players on your roster. You can't control the weather and can't control the NFL.

I don't see any logical rule change that could be put in for future seasons (extra faab period) that wouldn't cause more disruption than they would solve. Probably the best thing that could be done would be to state explicitly in the rules that if this does happen again it will be handled exactly as it is being handled.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:43 pm

John,
Let me try and insert a viewpoint here that doesn't resort to arguments, and/or name calling. I can only speak from my own experience here, so let me lay out my thoughts leading up to today.

First, I did take into consideration the potential for a washout. I saw this as only the most remote of possibilities. I don't think I was alone in this train of thought. If you read through the posts on the other thread, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who did not think the NFL would find a way to get this game played this week, right down to Tom and Greg.

You could say I covered black AND red on the roulette wheel, and double zero hit. Four times in a row.

I'm not angry at anyone here, and I don't think I've been cheated, but it is a bad beat any way you look at it.

With FAAB, there are limited dollars to spend. I would not have drafted both Andre Johnson AND Derrick Mason as starters if I knew at the time they would be on a "bye week" at the same time.

You suggest that perhaps I could have been better prepared, but seriously, now, how could I possibly afford not only the four slots on my roster I would have to cut to fill out my line-up, but the dollars it would cost to get those players and still be competitive for the rest of the season?