Week 3 VENT Thread!

Coltsfan

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:42 am

My start this year absolutely proves it's luck! :D

Actually I can tell you where I got lucky in the nffc. It was with who I didn't get. I was wanting one of three RB's in the third round but Smith, Brown, and Grant all went ahead of me. Our fallback plan was Royal but Billy took him with the pick before us. That was lucky.

In the fourth we figured to get Braylon or Desean but Vincent Jackson fell to us. That was very lucky. (We liked him but had we been that high on him we would have taken him in the third.)

In the last part of the 5th round Mason, Chris Henry, Berrian, and Antonio Bryant went leaving Donald Driver for us. I consider that very fortunate.

We really wanted either Schaub or Palmer as our QB and the way they fell we were able to wait until the 8th round and still get Schaub. That was extremely lucky.

We also haven't had any major injuries outside of Gore in the wcoff and laurent in the ffpc.

So overall I feel VERY lucky so far. It can all change this next week (and probably will.) It's funny but I truly believe that your luck is just as much about what doesn't happen (ie: Eddie Royal) as it is about what actually does happen.

What's the ratio of luck vs skill??? I have no idea.

Wayne

Shrink Attack

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:

Actually I can tell you where I got lucky in the nffc. It was with who I didn't get. I was wanting one of three RB's in the third round but Smith, Brown, and Grant all went ahead of me. Our fallback plan was Royal but Billy took him with the pick before us. That was lucky.

In the fourth we figured to get Braylon or Desean but Vincent Jackson fell to us. That was very lucky. (We liked him but had we been that high on him we would have taken him in the third.)

In the last part of the 5th round Mason, Chris Henry, Berrian, and Antonio Bryant went leaving Donald Driver for us. I consider that very fortunate.

We really wanted either Schaub or Palmer as our QB and the way they fell we were able to wait until the 8th round and still get Schaub. That was extremely lucky.

We also haven't had any major injuries outside of Gore in the wcoff and laurent in the ffpc.

So overall I feel VERY lucky so far. It can all change this next week (and probably will.) It's funny but I truly believe that your luck is just as much about what doesn't happen (ie: Eddie Royal) as it is about what actually does happen.

Wayne You're a class act, Wayne. Good luck in all your leagues.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

rkulaski

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by rkulaski » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by Pats_12:
One thing I would like someone to explain though. Exactly what decision did you make this year that makes you so "skillful"?

Next question...why don't you make those kinds of decisions every year? thank god you're not my broker! :eek: There are a 1000 small decisions that every one of us have made. Unless you are the one guy in FF that prints the ESPN cheatsheet on draft day and flips a coin for lineup decisions ...

If FF teams were stocks, I would choose Billy, Wayne, Snake, GG, Jules, etc. to be my broker. These guys make more good decisions than most of us.

If you flip a coin 1000 times, it will come up heads 474-527 times, 90% of the time. If these guys play in 1000 leagues in their lifetimes, they will finish in the top third 60+% of the time.

It is statistically impossible to attribute that to luck.

Bob
[/QUOTE]I'd add my name after Jules and before etc.

rkulaski

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by rkulaski » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Wayne I've enjoyed reading this thread but reading this post was the best. Here is a guy who others have praised because of his skill. He's at the top of the standings (or so was stated in a previous post) and he could boast that he's at the top because of skill, preparation, research, watching 100 preseason games, etc. No. He actually admits he's been "lucky" and got lucky in the draft.
It actually humbles me. I'm currently in the top 10 overall in the NFBC and I would like to take all the credit in the world for that. I think I'm very good in the NFBC and felt I would have my best year this year because I prepared more for this year's draft than ever before. This year, I picked 10th. Our plan was to draft Chase Utley and then draft Carl Crawford in rd 2. If Utley was not available at pick 10, our plan B was to draft Josh Hamilton. Hamilton has been injured for much of the season. Utley fell to us but if he hadn't, our first round pick would've been a total bust. In rd 4, we were going to draft D Ortiz but, since he was drafted 5 picks before our turn, we drafted plan b- Roy Halladay. Sometimes, other people drafting the guys you want actually turns out best for you in the end. LUCK.

I love fantasy football and baseball and always love the luck vs skill debate no matter how many times the threads reappear on the messageboards. Lots of fun to discuss. No doubt in fantasy football, there is more luck involved. Fantasy baseball - more skill- or is it more preparation, more time, more research- and are all of those things pieces that make up what we call skill?

Ok, I'm rambling.... Bottomline of my post is this:

While everyone (including myself) loves to tout how skillful we are at playing this game, there are few of us who are willing to tout how lucky we are. I don't know Wayne, but his last post is humbling and brutally honest. Very refreshing.

Eddiejag

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Eddiejag » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:39 pm

In my 14 teamer i really wanted Pierre Thomas but picking in the 11th spot the 3rd round was to early and i didnt think he would make it back to me 4th round pick number 53.Tom Yates was picking behind me and he yellped as that was his next pick.Rivers in the 5th pick 60 was value as his adp was around 40.Then in round 11 Nate Burelson was there and was thrilled and then Celek in round 12th even though i already had Olsen.Ive played Celek in all three games in my flex.Didnt have Pierre in this week but will take a 148 and go to 2 and 1.
Just happy to see Pierre look great in that one half of football.

[ September 28, 2009, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Eddiejag ]
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

BillyWaz

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:03 pm

It's funny but I truly believe that your luck is just as much about what doesn't happen (ie: Eddie Royal) as it is about what actually does happen.
Absolutely true Wayne!

I wish I would of been lucky, and someone would have taken Royal ahead of me!

Honestly though, I think this is the week he gets on track. Seriously....stop laughing! :D

BONGIZMO

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:31 pm

I find it interesting how some bring up the luck issue each year they are down yet claim to be the FF second coming on years when they perform well. Often those same people bash folks who are having lousy years for being terrible drafters and then say they were just lucky when they bounce back.

I have had some great successes as well as years like last where I crashed and burned miserably. The reality was on one team I successly mixed team suspensions, injuries, and absolute busts and where as some issues might have been bad luck the simple issue is I drafted terribly.

The key after poor years is to think what you would do differently and adjust your strategy. Sure you need to dodge mass injuries (luck) but if you have drafted well you can cover for the injuries just like you would be covering for byes.

Wayne is being humble/modest because that's who he is but anyone that can draft in multiple formats with different rules and twists and rank as highly as he is with generally different players has skill. To even believe he is 'fortunate' or 'needs to hopefully keep it going' is just sour grapes because the reality is it takes preperation, knowledge, strategy and skill to get to the top of the three main events.

Just my .02.

[ September 28, 2009, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: BONGIZMO ]
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Glenneration X

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:38 pm

I think its obvious to anyone that Wayne knows his sh*t.

Glenn

kingraiders

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by kingraiders » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:39 pm

I figure I'm getting all my bad luck out of the way early:

Gonzalez
McNabb
Gore
Main cog in my SD Defense

It's been a ridiculous 1st 3 weeks w/ the injury bug thus far. Hopefully the Coffee handcuff can pay off vs. STL this week!