Week 1 Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 am

The games have begun. About time, right? There was certainly a lot of interesting things that have unfolded thus far. Here's my take on what I've seen with two more games yet to be played tonight:

If the Titans are going to have success, they need to do a MUCH better job of getting Chris Johnson involved in the passing game. Let me see if I have this straight - you threw to him once and he gained 11 yards. So your two options are: 1) Continue working him in as a receiver or 2) Stop throwing to him. The Titans chose No. 2. And somebody is being paid a lot of money to make that type of decision? Honestly?

Jay Cutler looked skittish and off target a lot last night but his WRs didn't help him at all. Unfortunately for the Bears, I'm not sure that's going to change given their inexperience. Oh, and the Bears need to figure out ways to get Greg Olsen and Matt Forte the ball more in the passing game. Don't just surrender when a defense takes your best options away.

Marc Bulger is done. Stick a fork in him.

So did anyone else lead his or her league in blown plays by refs that cost a player (Calvin Johnson) a touchdown and TDs overturned by penalty (Reggie Bush) or was that just me?

Speaking of the Saints, how scary is that offense even without Pierre Thomas? Drew Brees does not get enough recognition for being the superstar that he is. He's on pace for 96 touchdown passes and the crazy thing? He might be able to get it.

Brett Favre the game manager. It worked pretty well for one game.

My friends, this is why you draft Adrian Peterson No. 1 in fantasy football this year. Even if he isn't catching passes, he can deliver the kind of game that single-handedly delivers you a victory.

Joseph Addai was solid for his fantasy owners in Week 1 but he better not slip up because it's obvious the Colts want to get Donald Brown on the field a lot.

Does anyone here still want to debate the awfulness of Kyle Orton?

Speaking of Orton, I know it's just one week but I'm officially concerned about Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Orton's going to destroy their fantasy value. It's like watching Ryan Fitzpatrick destroy T.J. Houshmandzadeh last season and David Carr destroy Steve Smith two seasons ago. An awful QB is the biggest fantasy buzzkill you'll find.

I hope Julius Jones owners started him this week. I also hope they don't expect that type of game to come along very often. Well at least not until they play the Rams again.

Speaking of a Jones, I love Felix Jones this season but I sure hope you didn't sleep on Marion Barber in your draft. That guy remains the focal point of their offense and he showed it yesterday.

It looks like Tony Romo didn't need Jessica Simpson but maybe Reggie Bush needed Kim Kardashian.

Joe Flacco could be this year's Philip Rivers/Aaron Rodgers. Yeah I said it.

After one game, Cedric Benson, Julius Jones and Willis McGahee have more touchdowns than Matt Forte, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton. Yup, I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming.

I realize I'm not breaking a big story here but the Eagles are in big trouble without Donovan McNabb. And no, Michael Vick returning in Week 3 is not the answer.

It's nice to know we've identified at least one of Devery Henderson's three big fantasy games this season.

For one week anyway Mark Sanchez > Matthew Stafford.

I told Tom Yates during the Ultimate that I thought Mewelde Moore might be the Steelers' best RB. I'm starting to believe that even more strongly right now.

Anybody else think the Patriots want to show the world that Tom Brady is back and will have him airing it out a ton tonight against the Bills? Me too.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Robert Edwards

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Robert Edwards » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:17 am

Interesting. Three of the first four players you mentioned are Phat's (btw...I do not have Bulger). The good news is I do have Julius and I did start him.
Wayne Edwards

The "other" Wayne

Glenneration X

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:57 am

Damn.....I was one lousy pick away from having both AP and Brees on my Main Event team.
Why couldn't the drafter before me gone receiver in the 2nd round like everyone else???

Glenn

Sandman62

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:29 am

As a Willie Parker owner, I know he didn't looked explosive, but heck the Titans D might have just had a little chip on their shoulder named Haynesworth and were out to prove something?

I give the Steelers run game a mulligan for that one and will wait a couple more games before I condemn Parker on our bench behind Ahmad and Leon.

Besides, I'm not sure why so much love for Moore? :confused:
Steelers RB Mewelde Moore totaled five carries for eight yards during a Week 1 win against the Titans. His longest carry went for four yards.
Sportsline-Moore

da bears

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by da bears » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 am

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rams didn't win a game this year. Good luck if you are a Steven Jackson owner this year as I see alot of games like the one on sunday for him this season. Plus 0 catches for Jackson as Bulger never even looked his way.

I'll have to give the Packers credit as that was a great play call on third down to win the game. I'm not still sure why the Bears have Cutler slinging the ball all over the place as they didn't committ to running the ball enough with Forte. Look for another 3-4 ints by Culter if the Bears go with the same game plan next week against the Steelers.

[ September 14, 2009, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

botherk

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by botherk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:52 am

I saw Adrian Peterson's great long run. I saw Brandon Stokley's "miracle" catch. I saw Drew Brees bring a defense to it's knees.(I rhymed and I'm not ashamed)
But the thing I can't get out of my mind, and I wish I could, is Hunter Smith running to the end zone on a fake field goal. I've never seen Elton John run, but I imagine that if I did, he would look like Hunter Smith.

[ September 14, 2009, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Sound Advice

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Sound Advice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 am

Misses: (you asked)

Saw Flacco vs Chiefs.
He's really bad. Shouldn't be starting at this time.

Brees is all they talk about in many leagues.
He's the #1 pick in many different formats, and he's about all you hear about besides AP quite honestly.

If you have Bush on your team, you are probably done anyway. So I wouldn't get worked up over anything he does or doesn't do.

I would give Orton a week or two and see how he does with those weapons. His throws were 50% off normal due to his finger injury.
Nothing learned week one.

Not even mildly surprised Benson, McGahee, and Jones have more TD's than the guys you mentioned week one. That happens every year. And look at the schedules. Wait till about week 4 or 5 for the "who would have thunk it" articles.

The Patriots aren't a show the world type team.
That's never been one of their goals.
The world can stick it up their arse as far as Belichick is concerned.
Now he might do it because he's worried about his def. That's another story though.
You won't see Brady throwing 50 yard passes that hit the pylon to impress anyone either, like Favre did when his arm was hanging on by a thread.
There's guys like Belichick, then there is everyone else. Guys that try to impress people will never be a Belichick.
He's not a talker.

[ September 14, 2009, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Sound Advice ]

Tom Kessenich

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 am

I disagree strongly about Bush. He's money in PPR leagues (he caught 5 passes yesterday) and he was Top 10 in NFFC scoring before he got hurt last season. He's no worse than a rock-solid RB2 in my opinion when healthy. Chances are, you got him as a value pick on Draft Day to boot.

As far as Flacco, he's really bad? I disagree strongly about that too. I think he's talented and the Ravens are going to open things up for him a little more this season. I wouldn't expect 3 TDs every week but I do think Flacco's going to prove to be the QB2 who rises the highest this season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TURBOUGH

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by TURBOUGH » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am

No mention of Tim Hightower? Talk about value in the ninth round, I'm quite happy after one week.

I took Forte over Peterson. It's only been one week but it DID cost us big time in points and a victory. Disappointed isn't a strong word.

Is Lav. Coles not going to be a part of the Bengals offense? One catch. Then again, there were alot of disappointments in the first week. We can only look forward and hope for better results in week 2.

botherk

Week 1 Thoughts

Post by botherk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 am

Tim Hightower was a testament to how well the 49ers shut down Arizona's vertical game.

Ugh. I knew I shouldn't have watched those coaches press conferences this afternoon. I'm going to go take a shower.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz