GuruReport.com Expert League Draft

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 am

Nag, in Tom's defense, being "stuck" with Driver, Stallworth and Porter isn't a bad situation to be in. ?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

acaplan

Post by acaplan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 am

For what it's worth, Adam Caplan won the league title and he also drafted RBs in the first three rounds -- James, Chris Brown and Fred Taylor. He got Steve Smith as his WR2 in the fifth round (he took Wayne in the fourth). Yet another example of finding a stud WR without using a early-round pick on one.>
I can't remember a league I dominated so much last year where I had such a mediocre draft.
----
Adam Caplan
Editor/Partner
Pro Football News and Injury Report
www.footballinjuries.com

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Nag, in Tom's defense, being "stuck" with Driver, Stallworth and Porter isn't a bad situation to be in. ? I'm not saying he had a bad draft or that I don't like his WRs in particular (although I don't, to be honest). Just commenting on the 3RB draft strategy in general.
For Players. By Players.

acaplan

Post by acaplan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 am

Oh Tom, Tom, Tom. 3 rbs with the first 3 picks in THAT format is a major, MAJOR no-no . I've played in this format for 5 years now and history has shown that Stud WRs are what will get you to the promised land in a 2/3/Flex, PPR league. Solid RBs are important as well, don't get me wrong, but drafting 3 RBs and passing on Stud WRs is a mistake. >
I'm not sure if I agree. As Tom noted, I won the league last year and selected three RBs first then two WRs.

Here's my roster this year:

QB - Donovan McNabb/Ben Roethlsiberger
RB - Tiki Barber/Jamal Lewis/Kevin Jones/Curtis Martin
WR - Roy Williams/Andre Johnson/Mark Clayton/Matt Jones
TE - Chris Cooley/Ben Troupe
K - Jeff Reed
D - Indianapolis

We draft the final six rounds in August.
----
Adam Caplan
Editor/Partner
www.footballinjuries.com

acaplan

Post by acaplan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 am

Tom, I talked to Caplan and he said you guys are "going down again this year" and something about he could use another big screen for his basement! Do you think Adam would ever "smack talk"? >
I rarely do unless needed.

BTW, who was the "celebrity" player this year? I remember Bakay from last year, and Fred "The Crime Dog" from a few years ago. Anyone good? >
bakay is so-so I would say from being in a bunch of leagues with him. Yet he's a fine actor and comedian. ;)
----
Adam Caplan
Editor/Partner
www.footballinjuries.com

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon May 22, 2006 11:21 am

Originally posted by acaplan:
I'm not sure if I agree. As Tom noted, I won the league last year and selected three RBs first then two WRs. I'm sure there are teams out there that won their leagues last year after drafting Peyton in the 1st round but it doesn't make it a good strategy. Take a look at 4 years worth of WCOFF league winners and you will rarely come across 3RB/3Round teams. if this was such a successful draft strategy, wouldn't more owners be implementing it?
For Players. By Players.

acaplan

Post by acaplan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:30 am

I'm sure there are teams out there that won their leagues last year after drafting Peyton in the 1st round but it doesn't make it a good strategy. Take a look at 4 years worth of WCOFF league winners and you will rarely come across 3RB/3Round teams. if this was such a successful draft strategy, wouldn't more owners be implementing it?>
There are millions of leagues out there, to say because the last four WCOFF winners won by only doing it won way is off. We won our WCOFF league by selecting for value, we didn't go any further because we lost five starters to injury. Look at what players were on the board in the first three rounds and you can see why each winner did what they did. That said, I rarely draft three RBs in a row, it just comes down to who the best player is on the board some times.

Mentioning Manning is a poor example considering I told every subscriber of mine not to draft him in the first round based on what we were hearing about how teams would play him coming in to the season. We didn't think there was any way he woudl match his '04 numbers.

You have to look at what players were on the board at that time. Who is to say they went in with that strategy.

The only reason why I took Kevin Jones in the third round was based on my projections and value. I saw him as the best value on the board at the time and I was still able to get two solid young receivers after that.

[ May 22, 2006, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: acaplan ]
----
Adam Caplan
Editor/Partner
www.footballinjuries.com

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon May 22, 2006 11:40 am

acaplan,

I was talking about all the WCOFF league winners, not just the 4 overall champs.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in regards to picking the best player on the board. Essentially, you are saying the exact same thing I am, except in defense of Tom. If your projections tell you drafting RBs is your best move, you should do it. (Although most people's projections in this scoring format do not, by the way)

Tome made the following statement "In a flex league it's going to take an awful lot for me not to go RB with my first three picks...". My point to Tom was that the strategy of drafting 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds has not proven to be successful in the WCOFF.

[ May 22, 2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Mon May 22, 2006 11:46 am

Originally posted by acaplan:
Mentioning Manning is a poor example considering I told every subscriber of mine not to draft him in the first round based on what we were hearing about how teams would play him coming in to the season. We didn't think there was any way he woudl match his '04 numbersSorry, I'm not aware of what you told your subscribers.

My example of Peyton in the 1st fits this conversation perfectly because although drafting a QB in the first round (whether Peyton or Culpepper or Warner years ago) is a poor strategy it does not mean one can not win implementing it.
For Players. By Players.

acaplan

Post by acaplan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:48 am

I don't disagree with what you are saying in regards to picking the best player on the board. Essentially, you are saying the exact same thing I am, except in defense of Tom. If your projections tell you drafting RBs is your best move, you should do it. (Although most people's projections in this scoring format do not, by the way)>
I realize they only get .5 but it comes down to who the best player on the board is at that time by my projections that fit the scoring. If it's a RB, WR etc, that's fine by me. I don't ever say, I have to have particular position (probably except for the first round). When you have mind set that you have draft a particular way coming in, that's when you miss on players. It's the same philosphy NFL teams use and they're the most sucessful.

[ May 22, 2006, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: acaplan ]
----
Adam Caplan
Editor/Partner
www.footballinjuries.com