Combined Standings

Raiders

Combined Standings

Post by Raiders » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:21 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
No need to be so harsh.

I think it potentially has a greater negative impact if allowed to stay as is for next season.

Like I said before and was confirmed by KJ, allowing best-ball from entries puts most at a disadvantage.

It's like the Indy 500 setup currently. There are 3 major owners with deep pockets and then everyone else. The difference being, every entrant on race day gets paid. There's no guarantee of that here.

It makes for a very boring race for most of the field as they go into it with a big disadvantage. I feel the same will happen here. This would possibly limit participation on the whole and ultimately make the bonus extinct.

We'll see.

All we have to do is require the multiple team owners to state which teams they want to pair to compete for the prize. And have them do it before the season starts. We could even let them do it after the drafts are held so they could choose their "best" teams.

Even that would be better than a rolling best ball entry. IMO I agree to a point, said player has to be knowledgeable. We can't forget about that.

EX. Chad loads up on FFOC teams, comes in 2nd place. He is knowledgeable a Great Player. Others are not.

I hope more guys with money and the cockiness that they think they can multitask and there unrealistic that they know more than they do is a Welcome to me.

I will add I'm meeting more every day in this Hobby and Yes I like what I'm seeing. ;)

John

[ September 20, 2009, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Raiders ]

Shrink Attack

Combined Standings

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:23 am

Originally posted by Bama:
I dont get it. Your saying that because he has 2 teams that one should not be allowed to compete for prizes that all other teams are allowed to compete for, dont really make no sense to me. some people just want to find every little thing to bitch about and beat it into the ground. If you can't understand the "best ball" analogy that both KJ and Russ refer to, then there's no use debating the issue with you.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Shrink Attack

Combined Standings

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

178. Harlem Forever NFFC Primetime New York League 2 0-1-0 115.95 12 Julian Curry

229. Fantasy Poet NFFC Primetime New York League 1 0-1-0 101.90 4 Julian Curry

233. Harlem NFFC Primetime New York League 3 0-1-0 100.95 5 Julian Curry

I can assure you that Mr. Curry himself was, in fact, running between three draft tables during the NFFC Primetime in New York.

Impressive. Most impressive. If that's true, I'd LOVE to see a video of all that mad scrambling! Did anyone who drafted live in New York see this entertaining display?

But Glenn, my question is this: How do you know he was the one who drafted all three teams? Isn't it possible that other people helped draft for him, but the teams are all under his name?

[ September 20, 2009, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]

Raiders

Combined Standings

Post by Raiders » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

178. Harlem Forever NFFC Primetime New York League 2 0-1-0 115.95 12 Julian Curry

I can assure you that Mr. Curry himself was, in fact, running between three draft tables during the NFFC Primetime in New York.

Impressive. Most impressive. If that's true, I'd LOVE to see a video of all that mad scrambling! Did anyone who drafted live in New York see this entertaining display?

But Glenn, my question is this: How do you know he was the one who drafted all three teams? Isn't it possible that other people helped draft for him, but the teams are all under his name?
[/QUOTE]Glenn and I watch him go from League to League to draft all three teams. Glenn may have more to add.

John

Glenneration X

Combined Standings

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:12 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
What also makes it unfair is that if an Owner wants to draft two teams in one Main Event, then realistically this is an option open only to phone drafters. Live drafters probably couldn't do this unless they literally run back and forth between draft tables or, in an even worse scenario, an Owner "bankrolls" multiple other people to draft live for him under his own name, allowing him to enter 5, 10 or even 20 teams in one Main Event. 2009 Primetime Standings (through Week 1)

Impressive. Most impressive.
[/QUOTE]Maybe running between the three tables explains the records of the three teams?
Just a thought....

Glenn

Raiders

Combined Standings

Post by Raiders » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:24 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
What also makes it unfair is that if an Owner wants to draft two teams in one Main Event, then realistically this is an option open only to phone drafters. Live drafters probably couldn't do this unless they literally run back and forth between draft tables or, in an even worse scenario, an Owner "bankrolls" multiple other people to draft live for him under his own name, allowing him to enter 5, 10 or even 20 teams in one Main Event. 2009 Primetime Standings (through Week 1)

Impressive. Most impressive.
[/QUOTE]Maybe running between the three tables explains the records of the three teams?
Just a thought....

Glenn
[/QUOTE]Nope, not the answer.

John

Sandman62

Combined Standings

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:20 am

Can anyone please point me to the prize fund for the Combined Standings so that I can understand the extent of this issue?

Shrink Attack

Combined Standings

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Can anyone please point me to the prize fund for the Combined Standings so that I can understand the extent of this issue? I can't find it either, but I believe there's a prize for the top scorer in the Classic, the top scorer in the Primetime, and the top scorer in the Combined standings. I think it might be a free entry for next year, but I'm not sure about that.

kjduke

Combined Standings

Post by kjduke » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 am

When we had a million dollar bonus for winning both the Classic and Primetime, it was great for the players to allow "best ball" multiple entries ... because if Player A wins the Classic no one other than Player A could win the bonus by also winning the Primetime. This was a no-lose scenario for the players.

But now that we have a best combined score bonus that WILL be paid out, instead of the "only-if player wins both" bonus, it skews the expected payout ratio in favor of the best ball player at the expense of the single-entry player.

It isn't just double the entry, double the potential payback - the potential payback increases greater than it's pro rata share. And since this payout is a zero-sum game (unlike the win-both bonus), the double entries reduce everyone else's theoretical payback rate by more than two unconnected entries.