Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:39 am

There certainly seems to be a lot more special teams TDs this year from players who are fantasy starters at WR or RB. In the past, you had guys like Brian Mitchell scoring these special teams touchdowns and it seemed right to give the special teams points just to those fantasy teams with those special teams.

But Monday night's two special teams TDs from Eddie Royal opened up my eyes, especially when he did absolutely nothing at WR. He was the dominant force in that game and yet it didn't show up on the fantasy stats.

So, that begs the question: Should the NFFC double reward those special teams TDs? Should we give the fantasy D/ST those six points and the Eddie Royal owners those six points? Is that fair? Remember, right now we don't subtract any lost fumbles from those players on special teams and if we reward TDs then we have to subtract 1 point for lost fumbles, too. Odds are that you'll lose a point more often than you'll gain 6 points, but we'd all understand that when we draft these type of players.

I'm open for this discussion and would consider a rule change in 2010 if the vast majority wants to see a change. There are still returns-only guys in the NFL, but more and more you are seeing DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal types doing the damage on special teams. Should they be rewarded on fantasy rosters? Do we really want that many points (somewhat lucky in earning them) going to fantasy teams on that one play??

I don't have the answers, but I bet you folks do. :D Let's have an intelligent discussion on this and see if we all like the rules as they are or need a rules change in 2010. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:03 am

Though there are a few WRs who sometimes score on STs (Cribbs, Hester used to, and this week's guys), I think it's pretty random and it would add another element of "luck" that I'd rather do without.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:18 am

i'd prefer to do without, while somewhat fair in that the guys playing kr and pr are risking injury, i agree that as far as the scoring goes it's a fairly random element that would add more "luck" as Sandman said

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:20 am

No.

Most of the time it will raise the value of inferior players.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 am

I say yes.

It would add more value to the kick returners who also double as WR's/RBs.

I am an Eddie Royal owner, and watching him get TWO TD's and ZERO points (because he did nothing on offense) kinda stunk. Now I know the rules, and I am not complaining, but here are the two main reasons why I think it should be implemented....

1) When these guys are returning punts or kicks and there is NO REWARD for TD's, it is ALL RISK. There is no scenario that can help me, only hurt me (they get injured).

2) Picture this, you are up 11.9 point going into Monday Night's game. You have Eddie Royal going and he does what he did the other night (2 return TD's and ZERO offensive stats) and your opponent only has the Denver defense. Denver records NO sacks, NO turnovers, and the Chargers score 20.

YOU STILL LOSE, because he returned 2 kicks for TD's (12 points). So basically, YOUR OWN PLAYER cost you the game by scoring 12 points for your opponent and none for you.

For the record, Eddie Royal did not cost me anything (but points), as I won my game that I started him.

I just think this is something that definitely has to be considered for next year based on the examples above.

Old School

Post by Old School » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 am

Originally posted by chriseibl:
i'd prefer to do without, while somewhat fair in that the guys playing kr and pr are risking injury, i agree that as far as the scoring goes it's a fairly random element that would add more "luck" as Sandman said I don't think returning a punt or KR for a TD is luck at all. Eddie Royal's TD's were the result of great skills.

I think they should be included in scoring. It makes it more exciting IMO and it more accurately reflects that player's fantasy skills

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:31 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Though there are a few WRs who sometimes score on STs (Cribbs, Hester used to, and this week's guys), I think it's pretty random and it would add another element of "luck" that I'd rather do without. See, I think it makes a Josh Cribbs "rosterable".

I don't think it is "luck" that he scores so much. I said it earlier in the Week 6 thoughts thread...

Josh Cribbs has a better chance of returning a kick for a TD from his end zone than the Browns starting at their own 20 and driving 80 yard to score a TD. :D

[ October 21, 2009, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:52 am

Dante Hall
Devin Hester
Darren Sproles
Josh Cribbs
Eddie Royal

These are skilled returners who risk injury returning kicks. They should be rewarded for doing their jobs.

If everyone knows the rules, it's fair for all.

It adds strategy to the draft/FA.

And, like Billy said, I don't want my own player beating me with a ST TD!!!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:54 am

I have to agree with BillyWaz on this. First of all, this impacts very few players in the league. Not to many legit fantasy starters also return kicks and punts. The players that do end up risking injury while having no chance for reward. They only return a few for TD's anyway so this would impact very little.

If anything I believe this lessens the "luck" factor by lessening the bad luck a Royal, Ginn, Hester owner has when his starting player gets injured on a return. At least with this there is hope said player can break one and produce some scoring. Keep in mind that those returns by Royal also removed 2 full possessions from the Denver offense even further hurting his production for that game.

I don't see the harm in it. I don't think it would drastically add to a players value. I don't think it would render the value of inferior players to a level that mattered. Would you start a WR who doesn't see the field in the normal offense just for the hope he might return a kick for 6 points?