Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:56 am

i used the wrong word when i said "luck". I guess it's more correct to say that it's not reasonably predictable.

While i do think it's fair to reward them with tds (agree that a player should get something in exchange for the risk), I think more predictable statistics create a more skill-based game.

So my overall vote is no though I think the reasoning is sound behind those who vote yes.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 am

I could certainly see a scenario where one would start a KR during BYE weeks or if they have injury issues.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 am

Originally posted by chriseibl:
i used the wrong word when i said "luck". I guess it's more correct to say that it's not reasonably predictable.

While i do think it's fair to reward them with tds (agree that a player should get something in exchange for the risk), I think more predictable statistics create a more skill-based game.

So my overall vote is no though I think the reasoning is sound behind those who vote yes. Well said Chris. And like Renman said, you RARELY would want to start a guy who would strictly be a kick return guy.

Over time, if someone continued to play a Josh Cribbs each week, that would EASILY work in favor of the opponent of that team playing him.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 am

I's say I can better predict when Cribbs will get a return TD than when Derek Anderson will throw a TD pass. :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 am

Absolutely.

I note from the above list that the guys who I know play in the FFPC are all in favor of this rule change. I was ambivalent on this issue prior to seeing the rule in effect in the FFPC, and now I've seen the difference it makes and how fair it is in situation like Royal had the other night.

Who cares if it raises the value of inferior players? Don't roster those guys if you don't want them.

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:37 am

Would return yardage be included?

Jack, what is the scoring rule in the FFPC?
@RedRyder

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:39 am

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

I think it makes sense that if you count returns, you should count the entire return part of the game (like Greg suggested). This would not only mean losing points for fumbles and muffs ... but yardage should count too. Why would a 96 yard return for a TD be considered skill that is rewarded, and a 94 yard return to the two yard line be worth nothing and not almost as good? Kind of like the old TD only leagues.

For those who just want to count the TD's only ... I would argue ... Why not only count the muffs and fumbles against the players and not count the TD's!!!

Short story ... I'm against it ... As long as we know the rules up front it's not a big deal. Drafting for return players seems like added complication and a LOT of extra research IMO.

The argument over luck vs skill on Eddie Royal this week is laughable. There is No way Billy skillfully drafted him for his return skills this year (if you did ... I want you in more of my leagues next year) :D :D

Ugly
Hakuna Matata!

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 am

I wouldn't try to take credit for it like the ffpc guys are.
It's used in most leagues.
And it was discussed on this MB before the ffpc was in operation.

Like I said then, the most unfair aspect is when one of your wr's gets hurt and misses games for doing something for which there is no chance of scoring points.
And how about fumbles?
You have to hope your guy downs it or never touches the ball.

That's kinda dumb.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:41 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
Would return yardage be included?

Jack, what is the scoring rule in the FFPC? I would NOT be in favor of return yardage (and they don't use that in the FFPC)

Basically Jules, the FFPC has it so EVERY TD is rewarded to the individual player (like we are discussing).

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw this was intended for Jack.

[ October 21, 2009, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
The argument over luck vs skill on Eddie Royal this week is laughable. There is No way Billy skillfully drafted him for his return skills this year (if you did ... I want you in more of my leagues next year) :D :D

Ugly Of course, I didn't. After catching 90 balls last year, and being in "Belichick disciple's offense", I figured Josh McDaniel would try and run a bit of "New England WEST". Moss = Marshall, Royal= Welker....add in limp noodle arm Orton, and I figured even more short passes for Royal.

Guess I missed that one. :(

For the record, returns for ANY INDIVIDUAL PLAYER are never a considerable factor for me when drafting, because they don't count. ;)

It would be the same as drafting for "End zone dances". If so, Ocho Cinco would be in my top 3 every year! :D

[ October 21, 2009, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]