Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 am

To argue for TD's and not yardage is confusing to me. All of the points made are equally true to yardage (injury risk, lessened offensive output, losing out on the players special skill, etc.)

Why not give .05 per yard?

Just using TD's makes it 'less predictable' than I prefer. That being said - if the rule changes I'll embrace it and love it. :D

Bob

[ October 21, 2009, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:54 am

I don't think the purpose for this would be to change player values so much it would make sense to "draft FOR return players" as much as it is to offer some protection for viable fantasy players who happen to also play in the return game. There are only a few of these players in the league.

I don't think return yardage should be added into the mix because that would dramatically skew the stats and then we WOULD be drafting for return players. I think the only way this impacts the skill/luck equation is providing some protection for a good fantasy player who is regularly risking injury on kick returns with no viable reward possible.

The example Billy gave, though an event that would happen VERY seldom, is accurate. A team could have lost a game this past week because their own starting WR scored on punt returns.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:00 am

I'M 50/50 ON THE RULE CHANGE. I COULD LIVE WITH EITHER DECISION AS IT WOULDN'T EFFECT MY PATRONAGE.

HOWEVER I FEEL AS THOUGH YOU DRAFT YOUR DEF/SPECIAL TEAMS TO DO THAT JOB IN RETURNING KICKS FOR TD'S NOT THE INDIVIDUAL PLAYER.

EVEN THOUGH THIS MAY HAVE NOT DECIDED A GAME EITHER WAY BUT HOW ABOUT WHEN MOSS INTERCEPTED ORTON AT THE END THE HALF A COUPLE WEEKS AGO.

DID THAT MERIT HIM GETTING TWO POINTS HIMSELF?

A DISCUSSION COULD BE MADE EITHER WAY.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:04 am

Originally posted by Renman:
If anything I believe this lessens the "luck" factor by lessening the bad luck a Royal, Ginn, Hester owner has when his starting player gets injured on a return. "skilled" owners should know there is a chance some of these guys could play on kickoffs/punts. the potential injury risk should be factored in their rankings.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I don't think the purpose for this would be to change player values so much it would make sense to "draft FOR return players" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hakuna Matata!

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:07 am

ugly,

I don't understand your post.

My sense from the intial post to start this thread wasn't to change return players values so much that it would make sense to draft guys specifically FOR their return game.

Did I miss something?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:10 am

i'm either way on the issue. not a deal breaker for me.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:17 am

The FFOC also gives 6 points for td punt or kick returns.I didnt know the rule and saw the extra 6 points Desean Jackson recieved and his monster game was on my bench.I like the rule has to suck to be a Royal owner who is the mvp of the game and he gives you zero.That 12 points would have changed a lot of games.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

flex

Post by flex » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:44 am

I wouldn't be in favor of crediting the individual player points but I REALLY wouldn't be in favor of giving double points on the play.

Someone that had the broncos d and royal would be credited with 4 tds???

I know this happens with a qb throwing to your wr/rb but at least that's 2 players involved in the td.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:45 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
I like the rule has to suck to be a Royal owner who is the mvp of the game and he gives you zero.That 12 points would have changed a lot of games. I agree 100% Eddie.

I know you will probably remember this (as I know it started a debate)....

Remember the MNF game a few years ago when Tony Romo threw FIVE interceptions and Dallas suqeaked out a win over Buffalo on a late Nick Folk FG? (of course you do, you are a Cowboys fan! :D )

Well, Romo ended up getting something in the neighborhood of 23-25 NFFC points in that game, although he played ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS! I remember the discussion that there is no way he should be rewarded that many points.

I guess what I am getting at is that fantasy football and REAL football are completely different games. Romo was awful for his team, but scored nice points, Royal was fantastic for his team, yet gets a zero.

We play by the rules, and go from there.

This is some good discussion about this topic. :D