Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:52 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
I say no.

Owners will SOON go into the draft and make sure they get double by points by drafting D.Jackson and PHIL D, Knox/Hester with CHI, Sproles and SD, etc..

It will morph into that in a heartbeat.

There has never been a rule in fantasy football where ONE player gets credit for TWO TD's and scores a possible 12 points for his team.

PASS TD's yield ONE for the QB and ONE for the RB/TE/WR.

Even if you draft Brady and Moss, there's no guarantee that Moss gets every TD thrown by Brady.

When you get owners losing because ONE player gets credit for 12 points, you'll have more complaints than you see now. Yea John, but MUCH MORE often that (since kick returns for TD's don't happen much at all) the person who "doubles up" on Denver gets ZERO points because no kicks were returned for TD's. :confused: Devin Hester and Dante Hall (a few years back) were ANOMOLIES, as who else even scores TWO in a year (besides Eddie Royal, of course! ;) )??? Devin Hester went from FIVE to ZERO in a two year span.

If someone wanted to go that route, "more power to them". Most weeks, they are going to be SEVERELY diappointed (from just a kicks returned for TD's standpoint).
[/QUOTE]Changing the rule would morph into owners making sure they take the corresponding D/ST for double points and more complaints than this as no ONE player has ever rec'd 12 pts for a TD.
[/QUOTE]Actually that is not true as I know Brad Johnson threw a TD to himself (got tipped at the line, he caught it and ran into the end zone) and was awarded points for the passing TD AND the TD reception. Of course this was before the NFFC, but the player in my local league got 12 points, as we too had 6 pts per TD pass.

I don't understand that ONE player is getting 12 points. You have to start both the player AND the defense in order to get the 12. If I start Josh Cribbs and Cleveland's D each week, there are going to be MANY weeks where I am getting MINIMAL points out of TWO positions.

If I start DeSean Jackson, and he catches 4-50, and the Philly defense has two sacks, an INT, and doesn't hold their opponent to less than 18, and there are NO RETURN TD's, then I get 9 from D-Jax and 4 from Philly's D. 13 combined points from TWO positions....please explain where the "advantage is"??? :confused:

Again, there will be MANY weeks where you are getting NOTHING for return TD's.

Why would ANYONE want to do that???? :confused:

Implementing this rule would add about 5 minutes to my draft prep. If I was truly "on the fence" about a player, THEN I may give the edge to the guy who returns.

I would be willing to say that there would be about 8 RETURN TD's A YEAR (roughly 1 every other week) where an owner actually started that player.

MAYBE 3-4 where the owner also got "double points". For the people like to complain about "luck" and everything else, it might be an issue....shouldn't be an issue for everyone else.

I mean would you honestly start Randle El, Hixon, Mewelde, Cribbs,etc. every week on the HOPE they score a return TD. Especially when you know they aren't going to contribute much on offense??? :rolleyes:

[ October 21, 2009, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 am

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
There has never been a rule in fantasy football where ONE player gets credit for TWO TD's and scores a possible 12 points for his team.
Wasn't Brad Johnson credited both with a passing TD and a TD reception when he caught his own pass for a touchdown in 1997?
[/QUOTE]Yeah, that happens a lot.
[/QUOTE]If it happened ONCE, that wouldn't be NEVER. ;)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
[qb]
Why personally reward such infrequent accomplishments? So when MIKE KARNEY scored THREE TD's in a game a few years back, that shouldn't be rewarded (or MANY other scenarios)??? :confused:

I would consider that an "infrequent accomplishment". ;)

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:If I start Josh Cribbs and Cleveland's D each week, [/QB]Why do you keep harping on players that are rarely on someone's roster?
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:09 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
i believe that the diff btwn a qb getting 7 and a wr 9 would qualify as 'mostly' negated? u get my point tho - two players direvtly contributed to a td so both get rewarded. even the brad johnoson throw to himself, i'll buy HIM double dipping cuz he played 2 roles. but if we're to reward individual players for special teams play, then we should eliminkate STs (which i'm not seriously suggesting) I said "somewhat" :D

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:14 am

I mean would you honestly start Randle El, Hixon, Mewelde, Cribbs,etc. every week on the HOPE they score a return TD. Especially when you know they aren't going to contribute much on offense??? Of course not! Even moreso why they shouldn't be rewarded. If I'm in bye week or injury trouble at WR and am considering a couple of similar WR4/5 types on the wire (and one of them does return duty), why should I have the advantage of maybe taking the LESSER player (seeing they're both only likely to catch a few short passes) who happens to be on my opponent's DST, thereby hoping to negate the points from his DST, that he starts each and every week?

And Carney was a FULLBACK. He's on the offense, last I checked. ;) Now if we wish to debate which offensive fantasy points are "offensive", then why do we reward TDs at all - just give everyone credit only for the yards they move the ball. (j/k)

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:

If I start DeSean Jackson, and he catches 4-50, and the Philly defense has two sacks, an INT, and doesn't hold their opponent to less than 18, and there are NO RETURN TD's, then I get 9 from D-Jax and 4 from Philly's D. 13 combined points from TWO positions....please explain where the "advantage is"??? :confused: Why would anyone not look at both sides of an issue? :confused: :confused:

PHIL has the 4th rated DEF/ST right now and that's about where they were drafted this year.

Why would you NOT draft them if you took D.Jax in Rd 3/4??

Why would you NOT give yourself a chance at double points when ONE extra win can make such a HUGE difference? :confused: :confused:

Same with Royal and #1 rated DEN D/ST
Same with Harvin and #7 rated MINN D/ST
Same with Bush and #2 rated NO D/ST

[ October 21, 2009, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: FantasyFactor ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:25 am

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:If I start Josh Cribbs and Cleveland's D each week, Why do you keep harping on players that are rarely on someone's roster? [/QB][/QUOTE]I also brought up D-Jax and Philly's D (but that doesn't help your argument).

Again, If you start BOTH of them HOPING for a return TD (assuming he returns TWO TD's in the first 16 weeks) so you can get the 12 points, you are going to VERY disappointed for 14 weeks.

Again, If someone wants to double the returner WITH the defense....GO FOR IT!!!

If it happened that I got DeSean Jackson and the Eagles....fine. I know I am most likely getting solid points outside of the return game from both.

However if I draft Devin Hester, why would I try and draft the Bears?? They aren't one of the better defenses (at least not statistically this year) :confused:

Over the long haul, it is obvious I am better with Hester and a "better" defense than doubling up with the Bears.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

If I start DeSean Jackson, and he catches 4-50, and the Philly defense has two sacks, an INT, and doesn't hold their opponent to less than 18, and there are NO RETURN TD's, then I get 9 from D-Jax and 4 from Philly's D. 13 combined points from TWO positions....please explain where the "advantage is"??? :confused: Why would anyone not look at both sides of an issue? :confused: :confused:

PHIL has the 4th rated DEF/ST right now and that's about where they were drafted this year.

Why would you NOT draft them if you took D.Jax in Rd 3/4??

Why would you NOT give yourself a chance at double points when ONE extra win can make such a HUGE difference? :confused: :confused:

Same with Royal and #1 rated DEN D/ST
Same with Harvin and #7 rated MINN D/ST
Same with Bush and #2 rated NO D/ST
[/QUOTE]Again John, if someone wants to go that route....MORE power to them.

Are you gonna tell me now that you had Denver and New Orleans in your top 5 ranked defenses coming into the season??? :rolleyes:

If this rule was implemented this year, NO ONE (except maybe a DIEHARD Broncos fan. No, check that.....NO ONE! :D ) would of taken Royal and the Broncos or probably even Bush and the Saints for the sole reason of getting the double points.

Plus.....ROYAL AND BUSH SUCK on offense!!!! So those people would get screwed more often than not! ;)

[ October 21, 2009, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:38 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
Would return yardage be included?No, I can't see that happening in the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius