Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:09 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
You wouldn't invest in a stock that only had risk, but no reward, would you? are you trying to say YOU did by drafting Royal?

jdoggmms

Post by jdoggmms » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:10 am

Originally posted by jdoggmms:
the points should only go to the individual player, and not the team DEF/ST. The ST really needs to be removed from the team defense because nobody drafts a defense based on how good their return men are. It might break a tie between two equally perceived defenses, but defense is defense, and special teams is special teams. Kicking is part of special teams, yet we have a separate position for that..makes no sense to me. Let defense be defense, and return points go to the rare breed of lightning quick offensive players. A lot of their real life value is based on their return ability, and aren't we trying to mimic real-life with this fantasy game of ours? just to add to my post, return yardage should be counted as well. In other leagues, I have found that 25 or 30 yards per point works well.
and can someone tell me why the originators of fantasy football decided to merge the return game with defense? Because something has been a certain way from the beginning is not justification for continuing on when there are better options. Most leagues were touchdown heavy before, but the game evolved, and more points were awarded for yardage. This is the next step. Half of my leagues no longer connect these 2 independent facets of the game. NFFC should follow suit

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 am

quote:Originally posted by jdoggmms:
the points should only go to the individual player, and not the team DEF/ST. The ST really needs to be removed from the team defense because nobody drafts a defense based on how good their return men are. It might break a tie between two equally perceived defenses, but defense is defense, and special teams is special teams. Kicking is part of special teams, yet we have a separate position for that..makes no sense to me. Let defense be defense, and return points go to the rare breed of lightning quick offensive players. A lot of their real life value is based on their return ability, and aren't we trying to mimic real-life with this fantasy game of ours? I would agree with this, but I highly doubt it gets changed. We are too "used to" getting the return TD's, and people fear change.

However, it there is one contest that doesn't mind change....this is the one (and that is a GOOD thing! :D )

It would solve the problems when people are complaining that they should receive ST points for when a team fakes a punt or field goal and runs it for a score. ;)
[/QUOTE]This is funny, because before the net, hardly any PAY services had D/ST.

The original post here is a great post. Why are kickers separated?

Get rid of ST. Give the points to Royal, and then more accurately score the DEF's by including yardage totals and MINUS points for thins like 48 PTS against.

INTS and FUMBLES are minus points.

48 pts against should be minus points.

A shutout and low yards against should yield 15-20 points, thus enhancing a chance to earn a W, and not just int/F/sacks where sometimes a team giving up 35 points scores more than one giving up 14.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
the points should only go to the individual player, and not the team DEF/ST. The ST really needs to be removed from the team defense because nobody drafts a defense based on how good their return men are. It might break a tie between two equally perceived defenses, but defense is defense, and special teams is special teams. Kicking is part of special teams, yet we have a separate position for that..makes no sense to me. Let defense be defense, and return points go to the rare breed of lightning quick offensive players. A lot of their real life value is based on their return ability, and aren't we trying to mimic real-life with this fantasy game of ours? I would agree with this, but I highly doubt it gets changed. We are too "used to" getting the return TD's, and people fear change.

However, it there is one contest that doesn't mind change....this is the one (and that is a GOOD thing! :D )

It would solve the problems when people are complaining that they should receive ST points for when a team fakes a punt or field goal and runs it for a score. ;)
[/QUOTE]This is funny, because before the net, hardly any PAY services had D/ST.

Get rid of ST. Give the points to Royal, and then more accurately score the DEF's by including yardage totals and MINUS points for thins like 48 PTS against.

A shutout and low yards against should yield 15-20 points, thus enhancing a chance to earn a W, and not just int/F/sacks where sometimes a team giving up 35 points scores more than one giving up 14.
[/QUOTE]Now THIS I could agree with! :D

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

Originally posted by jdoggmms:
the points should only go to the individual player, and not the team DEF/ST. The ST really needs to be removed from the team defense because nobody drafts a defense based on how good their return men are. It might break a tie between two equally perceived defenses, but defense is defense, and special teams is special teams. Kicking is part of special teams, yet we have a separate position for that..makes no sense to me. Let defense be defense, and return points go to the rare breed of lightning quick offensive players. A lot of their real life value is based on their return ability, and aren't we trying to mimic real-life with this fantasy game of ours? just to add to my post, return yardage should be counted as well. In other leagues, I have found that 25 or 30 yards per point works well.
and can someone tell me why the originators of fantasy football decided to merge the return game with defense?
[/QUOTE]The originators did not. The merge came a few years after fantasy football hit the net. I never understood how it morphed into DEF/ST.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

I could see making return TDs worth 3 or 4 and keeping the D/ST setup. Or making it just D without the ST and giving the return TDs to the respective player.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
You wouldn't invest in a stock that only had risk, but no reward, would you? are you trying to say YOU did by drafting Royal? [/QUOTE]The upside is what I THOUGHT he would do on offense. Obviously I read the rules and knew I wasn't getting ANYTHING from him (point wise) in the return game. :rolleyes:

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 am

quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:

[/QUOTE]Now THIS I could agree with! :D
[/QUOTE]You finally see the method to my madness :D

I had Royal scored for the TD's until four years ago when the industry standard went to DEF/ST about 3 years before that. Now all of us are getting this debate this week. It's comedy.

I just really HOPE that anyone that called 3RR "knee jerk" to LT is not also advocating double TD's here, because this is ten times more "knee jerk" :D :D

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
Ugly Yellow Tomatoes Astute,

Is your name going forward or Yellow Astute Tomatoes which ever you like better. :D Actually ... I like the "Lucky Yellow Tomatoes".

We waited a little to long to get a top Defense (we had better choices IMO). So we decided we would try to pick a better one up after the season started.
Hakuna Matata!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am

If you would have been adamant about getting rid of ST scores, it might have been easier to see.

Why would you change to the "industry standard" if you believed it should of been the other way??