Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

I'm against yardage and negative points for defenses. are you against negative points for fumbles and interceptions?

QB's play bad and get penalized. Sanchez had a negative score last week in some formats. Why not the NYG DEF/ST also?
[/QUOTE]I'm ok with negative points for fumble or int's, but I wouldn't like to see the number higher than it is. Sanchez scored what he earned.

As for negative points for the defense, I think you create a line where more luck is brought into the game.

I'll use your Sanchez example. The Jets defense plays great, but they are put in a position to protect a short field because of turn overs by their own QB. In some game that could lead to inflated scoring. It didn't for the Jets last week. How many times does a fumble or int get return for a TD?

With negative points, there is line where points will snowball the wrong direction for fantasy owners. I tipped ball late in the game returned for a TD could change a positive score to a negative. The result of a lucky play cost a fantasy player a win. Do you really want these games hinging on points allowed.

The NFFC rules for points are fine. If a defense plays well, you have a reward. It isn't huge, but you might be able to predict a NFL team has a solid defense.

This whole tiered points for defense is bogus. You are just giving more points to every team and creating more point swings.

I used to argue this point with a friend of mine all the time.

I ran a couple of fantasy league. In the original league the defenses scored points based on TD's and Safeties. When I started a another league I added sacks, INT, fumbles recoveries, and blocked kicks. I wanted to up the value of the defenses and make them important at the draft table. In the first league, the top team might get 100 to 120 points and most teams would score 40-60 points. In the second league, the top team might score 225, but most teams would score around 150. So the gap from the top team to the medium team might be slightly larger, but most teams would get points every week. In the original league, team would play a defense for a month and get zero points. They then would switch to another defense and miss on two TD's by the defense they dropped. Some team might get zero defensive points for the year.

The NFFC defense scoring is fair. If you raise the points for points allowed, you are basically raising the point total for every team. The top teams might score 18 points a week and the bottom teams 12. The gap would be parallel, but the swings would be larger. One team might score 40 and another minus 7.

I don't think a can bet on a NFL game and get the over/under right more than 50% of the time. So I don't want my fantasy defense score to have something added that adds more unpredictability.

You might be able see a QB has a bad match up and avoid that bad score of a negative number. It doesn't happen that much, but a player like Sanchez deserves his score.

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Originally posted by Renman:

If anyone wants to understand what this discussion SHOULD be about... go back to page 7 and re-read the 3 posts in a row by "Henry Muto."

He gets it.
Thanks Renman for the props. As I can see here not many agree with us on this topic. Such is life. In any event all I was really trying to say was it sucks to have to root against your own player and that would be the main reason I would be for it. To me a TD is a TD is a TD no matter who it is scored.

I don't know that I like the idea of making everything so complex by adding yardage and all that considering sometimes teams get a few TD's off turnovers and then they just shut down their offense so a team getting beat handily will have a "low yardage" against because the other team won't need to pass.

Also I hate any negative points in fantasy football so the talk of losing 10 to 20 pts because a DF gave up 500 yards or 40 pts is kinda crazy in my book.
Say your up 2 going into Monday night and all you have left is a DF and your opponent has no one...so this means you need to go take your defense out of the line up and play with 9 players so you don't get a negative score and lose the game ? Crazy thoughts indeed but what you would need to do.

Negative pts have no place in fantasy football.
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 pm

My only comment is...

How can you say "Our competition is better than your competition"...when they all blend together with almost the same rules and scoring formats?

Then it would come down to a hosting competition battle of payout %, customer service and draft hoopla!

On second thought... :D
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
My only comment is...

How can you say "Our competition is better than your competition"...when they all blend together with almost the same rules and scoring formats?

Then it would come down to a hosting competition battle of payout %, customer service and draft hoopla!

On second thought... :D This is a valid point, in that I enjoy the little differences amongst various contests. I actually like KDS and 3RR and 6 points for passing TDs as unique facets of the NFFC (along with the 14 teamer) and I think action scoring, the dual-flex, and enhanced TE scoring is cool for the FFPC, and I think WCOFF has some good stuff with the big grand prize and large event and so on. I like the differences, personally.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...can somebody simply kill this thread here already as it's absolutely maddening?...please?...thanks much...GK Glenn, why would you want to kill a thread that has civil and intelligent discussion taking place?

Whether I agree or disagree, this thread is a good thing IMO.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 pm

I like the subtle and not-so-subtle differences of the high-stakes event that I participate in. I also like rules in place that makes the game more strategic and IMO more logical.

No need to be different just for the sake of being different IMO.

Certainly not a deal breaker for me either way.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Originally posted by GK:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by GK:
...can somebody simply kill this thread here already as it's absolutely maddening?...please?...thanks much...GK Glenn, why would you want to kill a thread that has civil and intelligent discussion taking place?

[/QUOTE]...simply because it's redundant to the point of making one want to vomit imho...also the subject matter doesn't lend itself to all of the attention as well imho...that's all...GK
[/QUOTE]I'll suggest you just not open the threads you don't care to read bro. It's what works for me anyway.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Originally posted by GK:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by GK:

[/QUOTE]...simply because it's redundant to the point of making one want to vomit imho
[/QUOTE]Glenn,

Based on our past history, I don't think EITHER of us should ever be allowed to say this about ANY thread. ;)

Like Russ said, if you don't like it, just don't read it. :D