suh

Money

suh

Post by Money » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:06 am

Time for the national media to take a step back on this. The play and comments are way out of line for the crime.

Is this deplorable? Yes
Will the NFL act soon and decisively? Yes
Is there room in the game for this? No

But come on, he acted violently in a violent game. He deserves to be punished and will probably get a $100,000 fine and a one game suspension, lose a million in salary and deservedly so. Anything more would be silly. The lions need to get him and his head coach a little counseling.

Jerry Sandusky is walking around today on unsecured bail living up against an elementary school after raping young children for years. Joe Paterno is made out by ABC to be a martyr because he can't coach anymore and covers the next game as if everyone left at Penn State football are victims. They all belong in jail for the years of coverup. Once again lets keep some perspective here.

These are unconscionable acts against society not a kick to the arm in an NFL football game.

Su will get what he has coming. As a Lions fan I was more disgusted by his post game news conference than the act itself. The guy is clueless at this point.
Joe

alanr824

suh

Post by alanr824 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 am

Originally posted by Money:
Time for the national media to take a step back on this. The play and comments are way out of line for the crime.

Is this deplorable? Yes

But come on, he acted violently in a violent game. He deserves to be punished and will probably get a $100,000 fine and a one game suspension, lose a million in salary and deservedly so. Anything more would be silly. The lions need to get him and his head coach a little counseling.

Jerry Sandusky is walking around today on unsecured bail living up against an elementary school after raping young children for years. Joe Paterno is made out by ABC to be a martyr because he can't coach anymore and covers the next game as if everyone left at Penn State football are victims. They all belong in jail for the years of coverup. Once again lets keep some perspective here.

These are unconscionable acts against society not a kick to the arm in an NFL football game.

Su will get what he has coming. As a Lions fan I was more disgusted by his post game news conference than the act itself. The guy is clueless at this point. He is a clown and has done this type of thing on numerous occassions with and without fine or penalty. This time, he was caught, on National TV on Thanksgiving Day. The commish will not be light on him, especially since they met earlier in the year about this exact subject. My prediction, 3 game suspension. $200,000 fine.

bald is beautiful

suh

Post by bald is beautiful » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:24 am

Jeff, he did not act like this in college. This is all since joining the NFL.

drago

suh

Post by drago » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 am

I have to admit, as ridiculous as the NFL is becoming with regards to hard, intimidating hits, I don't hate Suh's actions. I remember the Raiders, and Steelers among others using over-the-top tactics to bully and demoralize other teams. Football is about physically dominating the man in front of you. Maybe this is a bit of an overreaction on my part to Goodell's apparent objective to eliminate tackling in the NFL. Strong villains are always great theater, so I'll keep tuning in when Suh is playing to see what happens next.
It does seem obvious that Schwartz's blowhard image is fueling the fires in his young star though. it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Money

suh

Post by Money » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Originally posted by Al R G:
quote:Originally posted by Money:

Is this deplorable? Yes

Su will get what he has coming. As a Lions fan I was more disgusted by his post game news conference than the act itself. The guy is clueless at this point. He is a clown and has done this type of thing on numerous occassions with and without fine or penalty. This time, he was caught, on National TV on Thanksgiving Day. The commish will not be light on him, especially since they met earlier in the year about this exact subject. My prediction, 3 game suspension. $200,000 fine.
[/QUOTE]All games are on TV, the Thanksgiving game will not enhance the punishment. You're buying into the media hype. One game at most. Possibly we get a pool going to predict the punishment. A straight on bet with the money sent to a neutral party will suffice. I'm willing to donate to charity any monetary gains.

This game has been played for a long time. Discipline rules will not change overnight and nor they should they.

Agression, in your face type intimidation happens in every game. They all take it to the limit. Without the kick there is not even a penalty or a conversation here.

How about a wager for a spot in the Primetime next year. One game, I win, two games is a push and anything beyond that (3,4,5,6, etc) you win.

Simply trying to make my point. This thing is overblown.

Also, Just wondering, nothing to do with the points above. But where was the Green Bay team defending this guy? What if it was Aaron Rogers? Silly they only protect their best players.

Pile on guys, I know it's coming.
Joe

Money

suh

Post by Money » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 pm

I bet Su feels better about himself today than this guy does. Simply trying to keep all of this in perspective.

Green Bay Packers linebacker Erik Walden was arrested Friday morning on a felony complaint of assaulting his girlfriend and was to remain jailed until at least Monday with court closed for the holiday weekend, according to multiple media reports out of Wisconsin.

NFC North blog
ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• NFL Nation blog
"The officer felt that there was enough information that was given by the victim," Hobart-Lawrence police chief Randy Bani said, according to the Green Bay Press Gazette.

Bani said the incident for which Walden, 26, was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence-substantial battery happened about 2:30 a.m. at an apartment complex, more than three hours before his live-in girlfriend notified police.

In a statement, the Packers said they were aware of the situation and were "in the process of gathering more information and will refrain from making any further comment."

The police chief said the girlfriend had been treated at a Green Bay hospital for injuries to her head and hand before calling authorities.

Walden, a fourth-year veteran playing in his second season for the Packers (11-0), has started every game this season, recording three sacks among 41 tackles, 28 of them solo.

He had two hits on Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford in Thursday's 27-15 victory, leading the Packers with eight total tackles.
Joe

alanr824

suh

Post by alanr824 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:30 pm

quote:Originally posted by Al R G:

Is this deplorable? Yes

[/QUOTE]All games are on TV, the Thanksgiving game will not enhance the punishment. You're buying into the media hype. One game at most. Possibly we get a pool going to predict the punishment. A straight on bet with the money sent to a neutral party will suffice. I'm willing to donate to charity any monetary gains.

This game has been played for a long time. Discipline rules will not change overnight and nor they should they.

Agression, in your face type intimidation happens in every game. They all take it to the limit. Without the kick there is not even a penalty or a conversation here.

How about a wager for a spot in the Primetime next year. One game, I win, two games is a push and anything beyond that (3,4,5,6, etc) you win.

Also, Just wondering, nothing to do with the points above. But where was the Green Bay team defending this guy? What if it was Aaron Rogers? Silly they only protect their best players.

[/QUOTE]I have no desire to wager on how many games Suh gets suspended. Go to a gambling website and waste your money. Its not about how many games. Its about the fact that the guy is a pathetic clown who is known as the dirtiest player in the NFL. I am not saying that this is the worst thing that has ever happened on a football field. That being said, he will get what is coming to him and the hype is more of a reason why it will be a longer suspension than you think. Sure its a violent game, but there is a big difference from hitting someone hard during a play and his borderline criminal behavior. He will be made an example of by the commish.

Shrink Attack

suh

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:43 am

quote:Originally posted by Al R G:

Is this deplorable? Yes

[/QUOTE]You are right that there are much worse things going on in the sports world, and that this is likely being blown out of proportion in relation to the violent history of this game.

But if you don't think that this happening on the much-hyped nationally televised show case Thanksgiving spectacle, during which there are no other games on, with millions of TV's in millions of households tuned in while everyone is sitting in their dens watching it because there's nothing else to do all day with your relatives, then you know nothing about Public Relations.

The NFL is all about marketing and media. You can talk all you want about what's fair, but it's all about perception. People (like my wife, for example) who have only a fleeting interest in the game saw the play and are actually interested in knowing what the NFL does in response to this incident. Roger "Slick" Goodell will take this opportunity to show righteous indignation and demonstrate to everyone how conscientious the NFL is about player safety and proper conduct. Right or wrong, fair or not, the disciplinary response to this incident could be quite different to what's been done before.

This is a huge PR black eye for the NFL, and it's bad for business. Now that's something the NFL won't tolerate.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

suh

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:09 am

I agree with Paul that the nation will be watching for the NFL's response and it should be a harsh one. This was on center stage and his actions were bad enough, but his post-game press conference calling out the refs and the league for picking on him was even worse. Forget about yesterday's apology, he singled out the league for looking for fouls on him that he believes he never commits. Unfortunately for Suh, the tape tells you everything you want to know and he looks like the thug the refs identified on that play.

I say he gets a 1-game suspension (Goodell says the half he missed was part of his thought process there) and a fine of $75,000. If Rex Ryan got $75,000 for swearing as a repeat offender, you have to think Suh gets that much or more for kicking a player. Maybe $100,000, come to think of it.

I think Suh is going to be a great player and someone needs to just cage this monster. I agree, I think Schwartz knows how to press his buttons and he's asking him to lead by example. Nobody is asking him to be dirty, but to take no sh** from anyone. But when he's not dominating, then he's getting frustrated and really taking cheap shots. What he did on Thursday was cheap, dirty and babyish.

What I see from the Lions is what we've seen from all young teams that are talented but immature. Their time will come. It reminds me of the Pistons when they struggled for years to get past the Celtics. Then the Bulls needed maturity to get past the Pistons. Heck, the Packers were in the same position in the '90s trying to get past the Cowboys. It takes time, it takes maturity and it takes experience. The Lions aren't there yet and they keep making stupid mistakes and they keep taking stupid penalties. I think their time will come, but they need to learn from these mistakes.

There's a TON of talent on that team. They are going to be a force for a long time. But they can learn from the Packers, who didn't retaliate in that situation and didn't bite on the bait. They remained composed and won on the road. The Lions will do that someday and with Suh leading the way. He's going to pay a big price for his behavior on Thursday, but it won't stop him from being physical and being dominant going forward. He's a beast who just needs to be tamed a bit.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CoMoHusker

suh

Post by CoMoHusker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 am

As a life long Huskers fan, I watched or attended pretty much every game during his standout collegiate career. I never saw him do anything that would be portrayed as "dirty" on that level.

This leads me to believe that he is being coached in a way that supports this type of image. His coach is known as a hot head and other than his incident with Harbaugh, has had several sideline blow ups demonstrating this.

I was much more disappointed with Suh's post game press conference than the actual incident on the field. He clearly crossed the line and instead of offering an apology, offered up a BS excuse. I do have an issue with people comparing this act to that of Haynesworth's a few years ago. The player Haynesworth stomped on didn't have a helmet on and he stomped directly on the guy's face. That penalty was much more severe than this one should be.

Suh needs to clean it up and do so quickly. If not, he will be drawing flags that hurt his team even when he makes clean hits on opposing quarterbacks. We see ref's over protect this position each week. Imagine what Suh will be up against, as he continues to carry the reputation of a dirty player.

Let's be fair though, his ejection didn't cost his team the game. The Lions weren't going to win that game anyway. One could argue Stafford's shaky play of late contributed to the loss as much as anything.
Go Big Red!