What Are Your Thoughts On Bidding For Draft Slots?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:44 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':

Option A: No slot bidding = do nothing

Option B: Slot bidding = decide the order of importance between 12 draft positions, determine how important a certain draft position(s) in to you, determine what other owners may deem better/worse draft positions & which ones they may go after, determine how much to bid on each draft position without overpaying too much and making sure you have enough bidding bucks to make it through the season.

I might be crazy, but to me it looks like option B is more complicated that Option A.
Option A: No WEEKLY free agent bidding = do nothing

Option B: WEEKLY free agent bidding = decide the order of importance of all FA available, in terms of your team, oher teams (blocking), etc..., determine what other owners may deem better/worse FA & which ones they may go after, determine how much to bid on each FA without overpaying too much and making sure you have enough bidding bucks to make it through the season.

I might be crazy, but to me it looks like option B is more complicated that Option A. let's do away with WEEKLY FA pickups.

see how it works, mr None and Done (nag)
[/QUOTE]Good try, poor logic. Expected from you.

Blind bidding already exsists - slot bidding does not. Comparison is not slot bidding vs blind bidding, it's slot bidding vs NO slot bidding.

Try again.
For Players. By Players.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:49 am

Well if Geeko gets his way I guess I can play in that other contest. :(

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:51 am

Quoted Like a person who want's to NOW state how lucky OTHERS are.

We know your still good GG, I mean HALF of good but...

GG, Z I know how much you like the idea. What a suprise GG, it was your idea.

The bottom line is luck IS a part of FF. Like getting the first slot.
OR
Like having Joe Horn make it to you at 3.11
OR
like drafting Westbrook from the 12 spot...
Luck would be having a player like LT drop a slot or two and you get him at pick 2 or 3.

The Westbrook example is not a good one, it shows skill and understanding NFFC rules. Westbrook had an ADP of 2.09 (12 team leagues) on Antsports. Taking him before his ADP is a skill move.

Looks like the Horn example isn't too good either. Those that passed on him did the right thing as he underperformed even before his injury.

So maybe there is more skill to this thing than you think.

[ October 07, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:52 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Good try, poor logic. Expected from you.

Blind bidding already exsists - slot bidding does not. Comparison is not slot bidding vs blind bidding, it's slot bidding vs NO slot bidding.

Try again. hehehe...i knew it would work. nag thought i was gone so he took his head out of the sand and tried to make a witty post. the key word is "tried".

try and clear you mind of all the anger and hurt you feel, and think about a time when blind bidding on FA didn't exist, and event organizers and participants had to make similar decsions to the ones you pointed out. they made the choice.

now sac up and start making some good posts. you are way behind. in other words, try again. thanks.

ok - now i'm leaving for penn state.

bye nag
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:06 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by 4D:
Good to know that anyone disagreeing with Gordon's OPINION will be attacked, told how sorry he feels for them, and in general made to feel that his opinion is the only one that matters. How do you make it through the day knowing how superior you are to the rest of the world Gordo? Greg
This is why you need to conduct a simple private poll to find out what your market truely wants.

Although this banter is alot of fun for us, I'm not sure it's all that helpful to you.
:D
[/QUOTE]Yup, I will do that. The banter is useful to me. The pros and cons are more obvious to me now than before and I understand what I need to do next to eliminate some of the cons. I'm not against keeping the NFFC the way it is today, but I'm also not against improving it if it's possible. I honestly think it's possible.

I'll do the poll soon enough, but for now the banter is helpful. Trust me, making any change like this would have to be WELL thought out or it could be suicidal and I'm too young to die! :D The poll will help, as does the banter.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:13 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:
Well if Geeko gets his way I guess I can play in that other contest. :( Some people leave because they don't like our 14 team setup. Some people leave because they don't like the fact that I don't have a league playoff between the h2h champion and the total points champion. Some people leave because they did bad the year before and blame it on their draft spot. Some people leave because I run this on Labor Day weekend. Some people leave because they like another high-stakes contest and the people who run it. It's tough to please everyone.

This is not a Gekko rule, although it is an interesting concept. It was an idea he threw out on the boards and one that has merit. Maybe not merit in the NFFC's main event, but definitely somewhere. And maybe it does have merit for the main event. I'm the one who ultimately will decide that and I'll make sure it's in the best interests of the majority of our players, not just the loudest on the message boards. I certainly can't afford to make a new rule that eliminates most of my current customers, but I can afford to listen to their thoughts on this 11 months before next year's draft.

I'll post a poll once I figure out how! :eek: I'm still a new driver here. :rolleyes:
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:17 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:
Luck would be having a player like LT drop a slot or two and you get him at pick 2 or 3.

The Westbrook example is not a good one, it shows skill and understanding NFFC rules. Westbrook had an ADP of 2.09 (12 team leagues) on Antsports. Taking him before his ADP is a skill move.

Looks like the Horn example isn't too good either. Those that passed on him did the right thing as he underperformed even before his injury.

So maybe there is more skill to this thing than you think. [/QUOTE]JP, I know you don't like the 14-team format and the chance to get a draft slot that late in a big league. It's understandable. Would the chance to bid for a draft slot appeal to you? I'm interested because you left the main event this year for this reason (but you're still in the Auction League) and I'm just wondering if having more control over your draft spot would entice you enough to give it another shot. Just wondering, that's all.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 am

Originally posted by 4D:
Good to know that anyone disagreeing with Gordon's OPINION will be attacked, told how sorry he feels for them, and in general made to feel that his opinion is the only one that matters.Yeah but that's what makes it great. Even when the suggestion is valid (like this one), it's fun to play the devil's advocate with gekko just to provoke him.
For Players. By Players.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:54 am

Greg, I've always said that it's your contest and how you run it of course is up to you. When asked how I would spend my money is up to me. My answer is honest and fair. I won't do a Main draft in the NFBC because of rule changes. Though many more may like those changes. The same in this case. You want real feed back than thats it.

jeff.price4

Post by jeff.price4 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:11 am

I am an advocate for bidding for a slot. There was a HUGE advantage to having the first pick this season.

(LT was significantly better than the next RB in this scoring system and the gap was bigger to #2 than between any other consecutive RBs on the board. The ability to differentiate at the RB position was an opportunity afforded only those fortunate enough to get the #1 pick and those in drafts with #1 selectors who failed in their pre-draft analysis.)

I have no doubt this will play out in the overall results.

I was prepared to spend my entire $1000 on the number 1 slot in our satellite, before the bidding got called off.

I understand that #1 might not always be the most valuable, but letting people bid is a more fair way to distribute the draft positions.

[ October 07, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Showtune Lover ]