Priest & LJ

Gordon Gekko

Priest & LJ

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Mike Anderson 9/21/73
Priest Holmes 10/7/73see...anderson is older

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Wouldn't the lack of a pounding actually play to Anderson's benefit and make it MORE likely that he would last the season? how many 32 yearolds with no more than 175 carries in any of their four previous years have played 16 games and were fantasy studs. my guess...zero. this could be a good research project for someone out there...
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Route Collectors

Priest & LJ

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Handcuffing is relevant to value. LJ, IMO, is a good value pick in the 4th. Got him in the main event in a swing for the fences mentality. Would've done the same in Gekko II except Kevin reached a round earlier.

Glenn - you took a BIG chance not taking Bell in the main event. Not taking a 5th rd. WR (assuming this was what you did) wouldn't kill your team. Losing a starting RB crippled more than 1 team last year. That's why I handcuffed Henry in the 6th tonight even though I had to sacrifice at the WR2. Worth it IMO. Especially with Tenn playoff schedule.

kjduke

Priest & LJ

Post by kjduke » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:33 pm

1. i've pointed out that the KC running backs as a whole have produced OVER 500pts each of the last three years. there is no disputing this. it is a FACT.
GG - 481 pts last yr thru 16 weeks for the top 2 KC backs in 2004. Week 17 doesn't count in the standings, and neither does mop-up by Tony Richardson and the like.

[ September 07, 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

kjduke

Priest & LJ

Post by kjduke » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:41 pm

I'd be happy to bet that NO ONE in the NFFC with Priest and LJ on their roster ACTUALLY gets close to a combined 500 points from those two thru the 16-week fantasy season. In fact, I'll go with a 475/under bet, any takers?

King of Queens

Priest & LJ

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:45 pm

how many 32 yearolds with no more than 175 carries in any of their four previous years have played 16 games and were fantasy studs. my guess...zero. this could be a good research project for someone out there... The situation is definitely unique. However, the stars are aligned for this to happen. I don't have all the comps right in front of me, but two names come to mind: Ottis Anderson (New York Giants) and Charles White (then L.A. Rams). I'm just coming up with these names now, so don't beat me up on the particulars. Things that these two have in common with Mike Anderson:

(1) Proven track records with previous seasons of enormous success in the past

(2) All three were little used in the several seasons prior to their "revival"

(3) Great offensive lines and running games

(4) All were over 30 years old during their big late career season(s)

Here's the link for Charles White (see 1987):

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... itCh00.htm

and the link for Ottis Anderson (see 1989):

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... deOt00.htm

As an aside, pro-football-reference.com is a fantastic website that I invite you all to explore. It's a great trip down memory lane for those who are into statistics. Enjoy!

King of Queens

Priest & LJ

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:51 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
Glenn - you took a BIG chance not taking Bell in the main event. Not taking a 5th rd. WR (assuming this was what you did) wouldn't kill your team. Losing a starting RB crippled more than 1 team last year. That's why I handcuffed Henry in the 6th tonight even though I had to sacrifice at the WR2. Worth it IMO. Especially with Tenn playoff schedule. Both my partner and I are very high on Bulger this year, and couldn't pass on him at 4.14. With RB-RB-RB-QB in the fold, taking a RB at 5.01 would have been suicide -- particularly in this league. The WRs in New York 2 were being snapped up very quickly. There were no Boldins, Coles or RyWilliams falling to the 5th round in this league. At 5.01, the only "top" receiver left on the board was Drew Bennett. Had we passed on Bennett to take Bell, our already weak receiving corps of Bennett, Evans and TTaylor would have been even thinner. We just couldn't risk sacrificing our starting team's strength to hedge a bet we feel pretty confident in.

Dyv

Priest & LJ

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:52 pm

Let's not forget that Shanahan doesn't play RBBC - every Denver RB for 200 years has rushed for 1000 yards. Anderson is bigger than Tatum and therefore is likely for goal line carries. Anderson came in late and is a former marine, hardly a 'toughness' issue is there?

I took Mikey at 2.26 and while it was calculated risk I believe it to be worthy. Rather than take a surefire 2nd rounder, why not lean in and try to pull a 1st round value?

His playoff matchups are NOT ideal. I intend to ride Mike to that point and then let someone else take me to the conclusion.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Route Collectors

Priest & LJ

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:58 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
Glenn - you took a BIG chance not taking Bell in the main event. Not taking a 5th rd. WR (assuming this was what you did) wouldn't kill your team. Losing a starting RB crippled more than 1 team last year. That's why I handcuffed Henry in the 6th tonight even though I had to sacrifice at the WR2. Worth it IMO. Especially with Tenn playoff schedule. Both my partner and I are very high on Bulger this year, and couldn't pass on him at 4.14. With RB-RB-RB-QB in the fold, taking a RB at 5.01 would have been suicide -- particularly in this league. The WRs in New York 2 were being snapped up very quickly. There were no Boldins, Coles or RyWilliams falling to the 5th round in this league. At 5.01, the only "top" receiver left on the board was Drew Bennett. Had we passed on Bennett to take Bell, our already weak receiving corps of Bennett, Evans and TTaylor would have been even thinner. We just couldn't risk sacrificing our starting team's strength to hedge a bet we feel pretty confident in. [/QUOTE]With the additional info I see why you played it that way. For some reason I assumed you started RB/RB/WR - don't know where I got that idea. Too damn many drafts :eek: :D

King of Queens

Priest & LJ

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:59 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
Losing a starting RB crippled more than 1 team last year. That's why I handcuffed Henry in the 6th tonight even though I had to sacrifice at the WR2. Worth it IMO. Especially with Tenn playoff schedule. To quote Tom (or is it Greg?), everyone has their own strategy and that's what makes this fun. That said, give me your starting squad as of right now (with neutral matchups), and then tell me if it was truly worth it.

Can't wait until this weekend to find out how right/wrong we all are! :D

King of Queens

Priest & LJ

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:
Let's not forget that Shanahan doesn't play RBBC - every Denver RB for 200 years has rushed for 1000 yards. Anderson is bigger than Tatum and therefore is likely for goal line carries. Anderson came in late and is a former marine, hardly a 'toughness' issue is there?

I took Mikey at 2.26 and while it was calculated risk I believe it to be worthy. Rather than take a surefire 2nd rounder, why not lean in and try to pull a 1st round value?

His playoff matchups are NOT ideal. I intend to ride Mike to that point and then let someone else take me to the conclusion.

Dyv Exactly my thoughts. Here's to a repeat of Y2K!

By the way, it was the LBS/World draft that convinced me to take Anderson when we did. Prior to that draft, I thought for sure he'd be there in the 4th. Things changed quickly after his (and Bell's) roles were solidified.