Thoughts on Satellite League last night

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 am

Like your Wr's, QB, and TE but ultimately your lack of RB's will be your teams downfall. A well balanced team is needed to compete in the NFFC and I dont think your RB's have any upside. Cant ignore RB's that long. Unlike sandman I really dont beleive on loading up on receivers and ignoring RB's. You gotta figure some team will find competent 1000 yard receivers later in a draft to pair up with some stud Runners. McCoy looks like nothing special to me. Through the years I found it important to have 3 good backs. To give you an example from last year I drafted

1. Andre J.
2. D. Williams
3. W. Welker
4. K Warner
5. C. Benson
6. D. Driver
7. R. Bush

Won that league and I think the key was balance. I took receivers high but didnt ignore RB's. Balance and dont paint yourself into a corner by loading up on one position.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:15 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
who are we to judge your team. LOL ... We are the guys he asked to judge his team. I believe that's why he started this thread and posted his team in the first place. Or did I miss something?
Hakuna Matata!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
I think come seasons end, you, too, will be regretting any Jacobs and Housh picks....as well as Darren McFadden.

What I said about Charty's draft can be said about your Mag team, Sand. You just might be underestimating the RB position too much. It will be interesting to see who's "right" come December. I'm not sure how bad Housh would have to be for me to regret drafting him as our THIRD WR? :confused: Last year, in what most would consider a down year for him, he was still the 24th best WR, averaging 11.6 PPG. And even though SEA led the league in pass attempts, they sure didn't score that much. Housh had his worst reception count since 2005. Even a modest bounce back will deliver very good WR3 value. Heck, I'd take a top-24 WR for my 3rd just the way he was last year even!

I agree that I'm not liking our Jacobs picks as much as I did when we drafted them (uh, mag draft was APRIL). But even more recently, we've taken him too - but almost always WITH Bradshaw and other mid-level RBs. So I'm really not worried about him too much either. Again, we don't EXPECT/NEED that many points from RBs we draft from round 4 on - 10-12 PPG would work just fine.

As for McFadden, I think we only took him in one league? And that was as our RB2, after drafting Fitz, Peyton, DeAngelo and Celek. I'm not worried about McFadden because we don't expect/need him to average 15 PPG for us - a feat that exactly FIVE RBs accomplished last year anyway. ;)

As for my mag team... geez, I drafted that back in April! At that time, most people were calling Ben Tate the 2nd best RB in this year's draft and expecting him to challenge for the starter role. FWIW, my RBs in that mag draft are: SJax, Tate - whom I followed up in the next round w/ Slaton, Bradshaw, MBush and JJones. Had Tate not suffered a season-ending injury, who knows? But even still, I really LIKE our RBs in this league. At the time, it was our WRs I feared, as I felt like I reached a little for guys I wanted (that happens when you draft Peyton Manning in the middle of round 2). I don't know about your rankings, but I have Crabtree and Bowe right in the same tier as the two Smiths, Colston and DeSean, and not far (10-15 pts?) behind guys like Boldin and Jennings. So I'm not as worried there anymore either.

Just curious, God Loves You, but which team is yours in the first mag draft?

[ August 23, 2010, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

particra

Post by particra » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Hard to judge without knowing what was there, but I probably would have tried to take 2 RBs in Rds 3-5. I agree with Sandman that the RBs tend to be overrated in this format, but you're potentially in a position where you have 1 who doesn't get more than 12-15 carries a game (Jacobs) and one whose primary value will be catching the ball in a league that devalues RB PPR (McCoy).

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I have multiple drafts coming up late and purposely waited very late this year to draft. So my opinion is based upon 0 drafts done this year:

I see nothing wrong with waiting for your rbs. But as always when you wait for rbs, you have more question marks than answers. I worry about the number of touches Mccoy gets and also his tds. Gut feeling says that as the season progresses, he gets more involved and racks up some yards. F Jackson is a nice late pick and should be better than Jacobs this year. At least you can play the matchups here.

WR1 and 2 are strong obviously. Big question mark is does Fitz stay a #1? He seemed to fall a little late in this draft, no?

Housh worries me. He looked slower last year. Schilens is hurt. Rather have Murphy. Bennett is a #5 WR option this year and is a wasted pick unless there are injuries. Overall, not a fan of your later round picks.

I actually like the V Davis pick. He's as good as a high WR2.

Overall: Based on my 3 yrs of doing nffc drafts, you ALWAYS have a good shot when you have strong QB, TE, and WRs. Rbs are question marks but every team will have question marks coming out of the draft. I see no reason why you won't compete. Nice job IMHO.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:33 pm

We're still on the same page w/ Bradshaw, Glenn. I remember our mutual love fest for him back in June. ;)

This will indeed be a fun thread to revisit in a couple months. Good luck to you too this year Glenn.

[ August 23, 2010, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

renman

Post by renman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 am

I think the original posters roster is at the very least, competitive. Sure the RB's are a little weaker but in 14 team leagues everyone has to sacrifice somewhere and making the right choices is the essence of the game. Watching people differ in opinion on players is what makes all of this so much fun.

I think getting Larry Fitz with the 18th pick could be huge. I know everyone is bashing Leinart and assuming the Fitzgerald will plummet in value because of him. If I had a dollar for every single time someone looked sloppy in the pre season while they were working on a few things and then played and produced VERY well in the regular season when they are using their normal packages, sets, and schemes, I would be a very rich man.

I have my concerns about the Arizona offense too, but I would not be shocked at all if Leinart passed for 3400 yards and 20 TD's and if he does the lions share of it will go to Fitzgerald.

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 am

Its Ok to wait to pick your Rbs as long as you take the right ones later. Mccoy is no westbrook and wont even get the goaline carries. Jackson is a wasted pick unless spiller gets hurt. Jacobs looks washed up to me. I have never seen a winning NFFC team that didnt have competent runners. Wrs are good not great enough to carry your team. I like Housh as a wr 3. Maybe you can get a Rb in FA. Good Luck