3rd Round Reversal (14_Teams)

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 am

I've been told there is an article called "3rd Round Reversal (14 Teams)" available for subscribers of footballguys.com.

I'm not a subscriber, nor do I plan to be. Can someone who is a subscriber fill me in on a summary of the article via PM? It sounds like it could be an interesting read. Thanks.

[ July 25, 2007, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:28 am

Based on his research, the author of the article concluded that 3RR is the fairest way to draft a in a 14 team league, with regard to equal distribution of talent.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Based on his research, the author of the article concluded that 3RR is the fairest way to draft a in a 14 team league, with regard to equal distribution of talent. do you agree with the writer's conclusion?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 am

Actually, he is trying to say that 3RR is not 3RR, that it is really 3RS (3rd rd serpentine), and that "true 3RR" does not switch back to normal after rd 3, rather after round 4 with the bottom slots getting top pick in rd 2, 3, &4! That term makes no sense, I would call that 3&4RR. A google search shows that the usage of 3RR is all in regard to NFFC lges - nowhere else did I see his version (maybe his local league calls it that, so he is upset about it). He states that the term 3RR is confusing, but he is the only one that seems confused by it.

As for his conclusion, he believes the alternate version of 3RR, which I will call 3&4RR, is statistically the most equalizing, that 3RR doesn't go far enough but is a vast improvement over straight serpentine.

I would disagree with his conclusion that 3&4RR is the best method ... I think the proof of this would be in KDS results - if 3&4RR was used instead of 3RR I think we'd see more complaints, and more people loading up at the end draft slots. Anything at the top after slot 1, in particular, would be viewed as a very poor slot imo.

[ July 25, 2007, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:56 am

It's a good article and has data from last season that proves that the top picks will likely score more points than the bottom picks in every system used. However, when you use our version of 3RR or his version the point differential is narrowed considerably. In a 14-team format, the point differential between the high and low scores in a league narrow almost 200 points between a straight serpentine draft and our 3RR format. The top picks would still score more points than the bottom picks in 3RR, but the gap is narrowed as everyone expected.

He says that last year the 11th and 12th picks would fare the worst, but every year is different, right?

I would agree with his analysis, but this debate about whether we should call this 3RR or 3RS is kind of goofy. I think we kind of made this up to begin with, but maybe not! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:56 am

By the way, I think Perry is checking with Jeff to see if he can post parts of that article here since 3RR affects the NFFC the most this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:58 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

He says that last year the 11th and 12th picks would fare the worst, but every year is different, right?

I talked about this a lot last year but I think the latter portion of the first round was by far the weakest I've seen in all of my years of playing fantasy football. And I'm an old guy. :( :D

I think 3RR is going to be a very interesting aspect of the NFFC this season give how, in my opinion, the first three rounds are loaded with quality talent.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 am

Even though I'm a BBDS guy, KDS with 3RR is a good compromise. my perception is that drafts slots are more equal with 3RR. KDS is the icing on the cake.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:06 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
Based on his research, the author of the article concluded that 3RR is the fairest way to draft a in a 14 team league, with regard to equal distribution of talent. do you agree with the writer's conclusion? [/QUOTE]Considering it's based on values obtained from something called a "Pick Value Calculator", it sounds like complete nonsense. No offese to the author.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:09 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Considering it's based on values obtained from something called a "Pick Value Calculator", it sounds like complete nonsense. No offese to the author. nag: you don't use the pick value calculator??? shame on you. i did NOT use it last year either and i ended up with wali lundy as my RB2.

needless to say i picked one up at the nearest walmart. i'm all ready to go this season. :cool: