Favre vs, Rogers

DOOMSDAY

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by DOOMSDAY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 am

Did anybody else get the feeling that the sack on the 2nd play last night was on purpose?

Seemed way too easy and too coincidental to me (being the first snap), making me think that some lineman/back missed that protection on purpose. And Rodgers did not look too happy when being helped up.

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Team Canada:

B) Hopefull packer fans
c) Members of the Mccarthy or Thompson family :eek: ;)
BTW ... I hope Rodgers gets it together where ever he goes next year (free agent). Unless of course ... he gets his new agent and holds out for a LOT more money ... lol ... that would be icing on this cake!
[/QUOTE]Okay, I'm on the boards for the next hour if anyone is here to debate this subject and any other football subject. What the hell, should be fun.

Mike, Rodgers is NOT a free agent at the end of this season. He has two years left on a five-year contract and I'm sure Teddy wanted two full years to evaluate him as a starter before committing to him long-term. After the 2009 season, Rodgers would be a free agent. But the Packers are like $30+ million under the salary cap, so if they like what they see this year, they will likely sign him to a long-term contract before next season. If they don't like what they see, they may make him play for a big contract next year.

I was at the game last night and I'll put my thoughts together on Rodgers after I snare a few more of these comments in this thread.

Anyone care to debate tonight: Favre vs. Rodgers??
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
Did anybody else get the feeling that the sack on the 2nd play last night was on purpose?

Seemed way too easy and too coincidental to me (being the first snap), making me think that some lineman/back missed that protection on purpose. And Rodgers did not look too happy when being helped up. Nah, that was right in front of me and Jackson totally screwed it up. That was all on him and McCarthy was livid about it. He was supposed to fake the handoff and pick up the blitz. He went too deep in the hole and had no chance to pick off the linebacker. If it was set up as a tough hit on Rodgers, it was done by a second-year back who needs to impress the coaches as much as Rodgers does.

And that being said, Jackson did make two very nice runs last night. He still seems to run straight into a hole and put his head down to get 2, 3 yards, unlike Grant who has this cutback knack like Ahman Green had. I don't see Jackson ever being flashy, but he's been a tougher runner than I ever gave him credit for.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 pm

The one thing I will say about Rodgers last night is that he just looked so much more comfortable in the pocket than he did the week before during the intra-squad scrimmage. He had happy feet that night, always seemed to want to scramble and didn't wait for the receivers to finish their routes. Those points were even brought up by Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in a Sunday interview with Ted Thompson and Thompson said he wasn't worried about that part of Rodgers' game. I shook my head when I read his comments.

But last night he really settled into the pocket better, stepped up and threw a nice ball. That first series pass that Driver dropped on third-and-17 was almost Favre-like as it was a nice read and a nice throw under pressure. He won't make you forget about Favre with his arm strength, but he threw some nice deep balls last night.

My biggest observation along with his relaxed demeanor and better pocket awareness, was the way McCarthy ran that game last night. I was afraid that they would scale back the offense for Rodgers this year and rely on Grant and the running game more. Now I don't think that's going to happen. In fact, I could see Rodgers getting many more pass attempts than even we projected in FAntasy Sports Magazine (404).

McCarthy ran a lot of four-WR sets last night and even a 5-wide once with the tight end. This rookie Finley is a big tight end and I think you'll see Finley and Donald Lee on the field more often, giving Rodgers more options than Bubba Franks gave them last year. And this is a solid, solid WR corps with James Jones a year better, Ruvell Martin really improving and Driver and Jennings being solid 1-2's.

Lastly, this offensive line still is a work in progress and Rodgers will have to throw more often early in the year before this line jells. The guard play is still iffy and Wells is the only legit center here and he's been hurt way too often this spring and summer. Now Grant is nursing a hamstring injury, which is never good.

I'm not moving Rodgers way up on my draft list, but last night was a good step for him and McCarthy revealed some signs as well. I liked what I saw from my seat in Lambeau Field, even though I still had my Favre jersey on. It's now going into the closet until his retirement ceremony and it's time to get a new one. It's either Rodgers, Grant or Hawk. Gotta figure that one out. ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Who has a better season ? Statistically, it would be hard to bet against Favre as he has the weapons to do well there. I doubt Rodgers will be picked ahead of Favre in most NFFC drafts, either.

But Favre is saying things that scare me about this upcoming season, and trust me I want him to do well now that he's in the AFC. The fact that he has said so often, "I hope I did the right thing" or at season's end I hope I made the right decision still tells me that this was a last minute decision and trying to be the Brett Favre of old is weighing on him. New York is treating him like the second coming of Joe Namath or Joe DiMaggio and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to live up to that. This is a 4-12 team -- granted with $100 million worth of improvements -- but people are picking them to make the playoffs in an incredibly tough AFC. How does Favre ever live up to that??

And with him cramming to know the playbook, man, it's conceivable to see him finishing with more interceptions than touchdown passes this year. I hope not, but you never know.

I'll answer this one as:

Favre, 26 TDs
Rodgers, 22 TDs

I'll say the Packers finish with more wins than the Jets. The Packers make the playoffs this year and the Jets don't. Prove me wrong, Brett, like I know you can. ;)

BillyWaz

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Who has a better season ? Favre, 26 TDs
Rodgers, 22 TDs
[/QUOTE]Wow, if you are this confident about this, I am moving these guys up my draft boards! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally posted by Team Canada:
My best friend is a lifer packer fan and yes he will always be but he can't wait until Thompson is gone.I'm definitely not a Thompson fan more because he has no people skills than anything else. The way he handled the Favre situation was brutal and watching him explain his actions at press conference is like going through Chinese water torture. This guys needs to just sit in the film room and make personnel decisions with Ari doing the PR!! :D

But I will say one thing: He sure has turned that team from a salary cap bloated roster filled with overpaid veterans to a salary cap friendly roster filled with a lot of good, young athletes. If you just watch the special teams, they have guys flying all over the place and everyone seems to be fighting for their jobs (except at QB, of course, where that's not allowed :D ). He seems to have found a few sleepers in the offensive and defensive lines this year too, who could surprise and Humphrey and Finley are really an upgrade at TE that could improve the offense.

Okay, that's enough of the Packers. Damn, it was fun watching football again last night at Lambeau Field. Football on a beautiful August night is tough to beat.

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Who has a better season ? Favre, 26 TDs
Rodgers, 22 TDs
[/QUOTE]Wow, if you are this confident about this, I am moving these guys up my draft boards! :D
[/QUOTE]You don't think Rodgers can get 22 touchdown passes in 16 games if he stays healthy? To me, the key is staying healthy. And if he doesn't, the Packers' season is over because they chose to go with two rookie QBs behind him.

I'd never underestimate Favre. :D

D-Day Heroes

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by D-Day Heroes » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:

Seemed way too easy and too coincidental to me (being the first snap), making me think that some lineman/back missed that protection on purpose. And Rodgers did not look too happy when being helped up. Nah, that was right in front of me and Jackson totally screwed it up. That was all on him and McCarthy was livid about it. He was supposed to fake the handoff and pick up the blitz. He went too deep in the hole and had no chance to pick off the linebacker. If it was set up as a tough hit on Rodgers, it was done by a second-year back who needs to impress the coaches as much as Rodgers does.

And that being said, Jackson did make two very nice runs last night. He still seems to run straight into a hole and put his head down to get 2, 3 yards, unlike Grant who has this cutback knack like Ahman Green had. I don't see Jackson ever being flashy, but he's been a tougher runner than I ever gave him credit for.
[/QUOTE]I think this brings up an interesting question though ....WILL HIS PACKER TEAM MATES PLAY UP A LEVEL, TO TRY AND TAKE SOME OF THE PRESSURE OFF RODGERS ? Or WILL THEY PLAY DOWN A LEVEL BECAUSE THEY LOST FAVRE ?

I GO BACK TO D. DRIVER FLOORING THAT CB WHEN GOING OUT OF BOUNDS AND JAMES JONES CRUSHING THOSE DBS ON THE WAY TO THE END ZONE AS SIGNS THAT HIS TEAMATES ARE LOOKING LIKE THEY WILL STEP IT UP A NOTCH, WHICH BODES WELL FOR THE PACKERS AND RODGERS.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikeybok

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by mikeybok » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 am

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
... SIGNS THAT HIS TEAMATES ARE LOOKING LIKE THEY WILL STEP IT UP A NOTCH, WHICH BODES WELL FOR THE PACKERS AND RODGERS. Sure ... assuming thats the case for now ... but what if they go 0-2 or 1-3 ... this team could unravel ... and I think the outcome in NY could also effect them. If the Jets beat NE or SD weeks 2 or 3 ... It could get ugly. With all that said ... I think they will play like normal after things calm down with Favre ... my vote would be not a big factor unless they start out very good or very bad.

Favre said he had turn it up a notch with his first practice with the Jets ... as did the Jets ... as did the Packers ... as I'm sure Pennington will too in Miami (I really like him as a player BTW ... too bad about his arm).

But I doubt anyone will sustain a higher level of play thought the whole season unless they go undefeated or something like that. But it is interesting. Good observation on your part.

Ugly

[ August 13, 2008, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Ugly Yellow Tomatoes ]
Hakuna Matata!