Favre vs, Rogers

renman

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by renman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 am

Tom,

I do not think the Packers would have been worse. I am just saying they likely would have had a similar disappointing season given how the team around the QB struggled.

I just think in todays NFL a super bowl team today is a dormat tomorrow. And a dormat last year can be a playoff contender or even superbowl contender now. I think this league changes lightening fast and those windows up and shut quicker than they used to.

I did not watch the Packers closely. What is your assessment of Rodgers? Was he the primary reason for the teams result?

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 am

I thought Rodgers played well for a first-time starter. He stayed healthy for the entire year which was a major question given the durbability issues he had previously. He did well. However, it shouldn't be ignored in my opinion that he was often unable to lead this team to victories when they needed them. He wasn't entirely responsible of course but his decision making in key moments was often suspect.

Again, this is to be expected with a first-time starter. Overall, he had a good season but I don't think he should be excluded from blame when it comes to this team's massive fall. As the starting QB, that's the deal.

Primarily, though, I blame this season on Ted Thompson. I thought he had an absolutely wretched season as a GM. He should be on the hot seat going into next season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by renman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 am

Tom,

Fair points. Maybe you are saying you think with the stability of Favre there the team might have played better collectively. Maybe run the ball better with the threat he provided downfield. You could be right.

I am just throwing opinions from the outside looking in as someone who does not analyze the Packers and due to having none on my fantasy teams, had limited reason to watch them. I guess I am one who thinks that in the salary cap era you need to get players you heavily invested in on the field to see what you have. I just wondered how much better this Packer team would have done with Favre... obviously we will never know.. but if we think the team would have performed similar then to me it is better to have gotten the young kid in there to begin his growth as the future QB for the team.

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:46 am

I think the Packers significantly regressed this season. Although Rodgers played well, I don't think people should ignore the impact the starting QB has on how well a team does or doesn't do. That's the deal with being a starting QB in the NFL.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:58 am

Originally posted by GK:
...this thread has taken on a new life of it's own which is quite alright and rather often the case here but to get back on track for a moment this was all about Rodgers vs. Favre for FF purposes and as an overwhelmingly in-the-minority Rodgers-supporter from pre-season on, SNAKE feels sweet vindication here...SNAKE With all due respect Glenn, I don't think this thread (like all the others intended to seek attention on yourself) needs to be yet ANOTHER "hey everyone, look at me, and let me toot my own horn...AGAIN" thread either.

Please let everyone express their opinions about the two quarterbacks and refrain from getting this off topic and making it YET AGAIN about yourself.

Thanks in advance. :D

As far as the QB's go, it appears Brett's days ARE over, as although he still has a rocket for an arm, he just doesn't have "it" anymore.

Rodgers was impressive this year. I really wasn't on board withhim early in the year, but he was impressive to me. The Packers lost A BUNCH of close games this year, and once he gains some experience, those close losses will turn into W's.

[ December 29, 2008, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 am

OK both of you have had your say. That's the end of it. Thanks.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mikeybok

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by mikeybok » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

I do think it's shortsighted to ignore the significant impact his presence made on the Jets' improved season and the impact his departure had on Green Bay's pathetic season. Rodgers did well as a starter but the fact remains he was handed the keys to a Super Bowl contender in arguably the worst division in the NFL and the Packers had a truly pathetic season. By contrast, Favre was given a worse team in a stronger division and just missed out on a playoff berth.

Perhaps Thompson and McCarthy can be credited with correctly believing Favre's production would decline. However, if they're going to be credited for that, they also need to be blamed for turning a very good team into crap in less than a year's time. You can't have it both ways. Well said .... I couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
My opinion is that Favre really needs to retire now and for good this time. Whether it was age, injury or a combination of both, he played poorly to close out the season. He's had a magnificent career but it's time to move on.

Not so much this part.

The same thing was being said in 05 when the Packers were 4-12. The Jets have already fired Mangini but want Favre back. They are either crazy ... or think he can make a difference.

Favre was thrown into a system at the beginning of this year (unlike Rogers who trained under the system for years). Next year he will have more time and maybe a coach he can gel with better. If he feels he can give it a go both physically and mentally ... I really hope he does.

I bet he comes back for one more year (funny ... I have been saying that for three years now!) But I do think this next year will be his last year.

We will see.
Hakuna Matata!

Eddiejag

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Eddiejag » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Billy Waz you are right on ,Rodgers was very impressive and the Packers were in a lot of games .The Pack made the right deciesion letting Farve leave and grooming Rodgers for the future.I think Rodgers is one of the bestyoung quater back's in football.If the Packers spend a little money and sure up their defense especially their run defense they will improve quickly.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Greg Ambrosius

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:40 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
Billy Waz you are right on ,Rodgers was very impressive and the Packers were in a lot of games .The Pack made the right deciesion letting Farve leave and grooming Rodgers for the future.I think Rodgers is one of the bestyoung quater back's in football.If the Packers spend a little money and sure up their defense especially their run defense they will improve quickly. I'll weigh in on this topic a bit since I did see Rodgers seven different times this year. I'll admit when I saw him in August at the Packers' Family Night -- the night Favre arrived by private plane and watched the practice from a luxury box as everyone fawned over him -- I was not impressed at all by him. He had the happy feet and he seemed to throw to his first option on most occasions. By the opener against Minnesota, he was beginning to win me over as his arm strength was definitely stronger than I gave him credit for and his mobility in the pocket was something special.

As the year went on, he's won me over for his toughness, his arm strength, his mobility and his smarts. He's an extremely bright guy and he understands this offense well. The thing that I don't see yet is that killer instinct. I think he has the ability to win games at the end and this 0-7 record in games decided by four points or less isn't all on him as Crosby missed two game-winning field goals and the defense lost leads against Carolina and Houston.

Favre won a lot of close games by audibilizing out of plays or seeing what the defense gave him and attacked through the air. In fact, it was one of the things McCarthy was upset about last year. There was some friction between the two because Favre was audibilizing so much and McCarthy felt he wasn't sticking to the game plan. This year you can see that Rodgers rarely checked out of the called plays, which is understandable for a first-year QB who wants to stay in the good graces of his head coach. But McCarthy's play calling is so predictable that Rodgers needs to take charge on the field and take what the defense is giving him.

Rodgers is a good QB and a worthy starting fantasy QB. He's not the Hall of Famer that Favre was, but that's okay. He has plenty of weapons to throw to for years to come and this offense should get better if they add a lineman or two and improve/scrap this stupid zone blocking. I really like Grant and Jennings and Driver has another year left in him. It's the defensive side of the ball that needs serious help, with 2-3 newcomers expected on the D-line and backfield help.

Thompson's biggest gamble of the year -- Rodgers replacing Favre -- paid off and yet we still finished 6-10, worthy of the ninth spot in the draft. Tom is right, that shows you how badly all of Teddy's other decisions were this year. He blew everything from trading down continuously in the draft to cutting a special teams player like Tracy White. He blew the 2008 season and for that he is on a very, very short leash in Green Bay. If he goes 6-10 next year without signing any key free agents, he will be gone as Packer fans won't stand for this again. It wasn't the same at Lambeau Field this year, but there's enough talent here to change that next year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius